Lets See thoses MACHETE'S

P1010102.jpg

Got this in the mail today, HI Annapurna Bowie-12.5 inch blade, 5160 steel, real cool black with white grained horn handles

Looks good. I dug out 4 more machete's today and seen that I have a old collins. I am now working it back to greatest. Probaly post it tommorrow here.:)

It's not really a machete, being 1/4 inch thick.. but I just got it today..

PICT0155.jpg

hey fortytwo, how about some pics of those fiddlebacks in the hand?

Sure thing! I'll see what I've got kicking around...looks like these are the best I've got at the moment.

CIMG8147.jpg

CIMG8148.jpg

CIMG8151.jpg

If I read it correctly on another thread. Mistwalker has the same fiddleback.
here's a thread using it on Yucca. Though I'm not sure if they have the same size.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773984

Mistwalker has the 12". Mine are the 16" and 18" ones. Fiddleback also makes a 14" but neither of us has one...yet. :p

I think for my style of knife/machete use a billhook would drive me nuts even quicker than a round nosed Golok.

Perhaps! They're more of a companion to a large knife rather than a replacement. Consider it more of a replacement for a hatchet. For general usage I prefer something either with a more open hook or double-edged for making cuts with the hook trailing. :)

Sure thing! I'll see what I've got kicking around...looks like these are the best I've got at the moment.

CIMG8147.jpg

CIMG8148.jpg

CIMG8151.jpg

Mistwalker has the 12". Mine are the 16" and 18" ones. Fiddleback also makes a 14" but neither of us has one...yet. :p
I hear ya. They do look nice. I think I might have to get one sometime in the future. Maybe a 12" or 14" and them order a kydex sheath from one of the makers on here. Hmmmm.

Perhaps! They're more of a companion to a large knife rather than a replacement. Consider it more of a replacement for a hatchet. For general usage I prefer something either with a more open hook or double-edged for making cuts with the hook trailing. :)

Oh, I could manage to deal with it ok as long as it was a companion and I had another smaller knife with a good point. Hell I think... in the right terrain... I could maybe even deal with something with a point...even a steeply angled one (think reverse tanto with more angle), good forward weight, and a trailing hook. I just gotta have some kind of point :eek: That's why I prefer my RMJ hawk over any of my hatchets....which I tend to see more as a hammer with a cutting edge on the back...

Here are most of mine. My 28" Imacasa Guarizama and 18" Imacasa Pata de Cuche are not pictured. Pics taken with ancient cell phone.

Tramontinas: 24" Bush, Two-hand Cane, 20" Bush, Bolo, 14" Bush, Cane, 12" Bush.
0507101133.jpg

Condor Golok and friend.
0708101533.jpg

Oh, I could manage to deal with it ok as long as it was a companion and I had another smaller knife with a good point. Hell I think... in the right terrain... I could maybe even deal with something with a point...even a steeply angled one (think reverse tanto with more angle), good forward weight, and a trailing hook. I just gotta have some kind of point :eek: That's why I prefer my RMJ hawk over any of my hatchets....which I tend to see more as a hammer with a cutting edge on the back...

A couple of cool old ads for billhooks from days gone by. :cool:

brades%20cat%201.jpg

brades%202.jpg

Ok over the last week or so I have been working on this 20 something year old Collins machete. 1st thing I did was strip it and clean it, rehandled with a pc of oak, then removed the chipped edge and convexed it. Handle is not as nice as I wanted but it was for practice. At some point I plan on putting micarta on it. Anyway it was fun.

Attachments

• DSC02352.jpg
    DSC02352.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02353.jpg
    DSC02353.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02355.jpg
    DSC02355.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02357.jpg
    DSC02357.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC02360.jpg
    DSC02360.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 108
Turned out ok I guess

Attachments

• DSC02399.jpg
    DSC02399.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02400.jpg
    DSC02400.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02401.jpg
    DSC02401.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02402.jpg
    DSC02402.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02405.jpg
    DSC02405.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 156
@ Caine it did come out pretty good IMO. I'm sure it will hold up to more abuse now. I was thinking the same thing about a Tram, but maybe in micarta. Good job.

Im planning on making a custom machete myself. I have a few things to work out then Ill start. Hopefully before christmas

Back