Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Ha! I added four finger grooves initially. Then I looked it over and decided to add a couple more. Now it reminds me of the REKAT Sifu. But that only has five grooves.

Well, now it looks badass and weird as hell :D Did you use a dremel or just files and sand paper. The job looks so clean. I'll get American Lawman sooner or later and will mod the handle as seen in WHP album so a lil more info on the method is appreciated.

I traced the handle onto paper, drew on the grooves, cut out the design and taped onto the handle. Then I used a half round file and sandpaper.
A Dremel would certainly be another good option, especially for nicely beveling the edges. A sharp file does cut the G-10 aggressively.

This is the only CS knife I have modified in any way. I have three of these CS 1917 Frontier Bowie knives in my collection, one in 1055 steel, and two in the 1080, (or is it 1085), steel.
Anyhow, I took one of the 1080 series steel ones to modify by removing the blued finish from it's blade, (but leaving the blue on the guard and tang). The other two 1917's that I have, have been left in factory stock condition.
This one with the now satin in the white steel blade, is still a project I want to someday continue. I wanted not just an un-blued blade for this one, but also want to replace it's Rosewood handle with an ivory colored one, (either in polymer ivory, or ivory colored linen micarta). I don't know if my skills are up to the task, and was hoping that someone would eventually offer an after market option for such a thing. Still, maybe one day, this knife will have the handle look I want for it ;)

Last edited:
David Mary David Mary I did a similar mod on my Voyager XL tanto, inspired by you. It's a nice size, in between large and xl models. Blade is about 4.5".
g7HKF1Yh.jpg

MB1PYmOl.jpg

David Mary David Mary I did a similar mod on my Voyager XL tanto, inspired by you. It's a nice size, in between large and xl models. Blade is about 4.5".
g7HKF1Yh.jpg

MB1PYmOl.jpg

That's sweet. If you can live with the partially exposed liners, more power to you, but I found myself compelled to completely expose them. Doing it gives the illusion of a larger blade, with more of the tang exposed, and less handle. I am also gravitating away from handles with any points on them. All that said, I definitely dig your mod! :thumbsup:

0C10D997-2C52-4919-8C2D-1E4A76E764B3.jpeg Thanks man. Yeah for some reason the partially exposed liners don't really bother me. I like the cleaner look that you achieved and the additional handle contouring that you did. It balances at the front of the index finger groove which I like. I was thinking if I remove more handle material, the balance would shift more to the blade.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd rather have the balance at the finger groove. I am not sure if I uploaded the most recent pics of mine, but I really narrowed the tip in order to bring the balance point back some. It will sit on the finger groove, but only tenuously, as it is still ever so slightly blade heavy.

It will sit on the finger groove, but only tenuously, as it is still ever so slightly blade heavy.

Mine is the same in terms of balance. It looks like you took a bit more off of the blade than me plus the drilled hole and thumb stud deletion.

It's too scary. I don't carry it.:eek:

I have an Espada coming in Aus10A, expected to arrive today, and I need to figure out what to do with it. Thinking about a more carry friendly straight spine/deep carry mod with a more comfortable and useable handle, such as this drawing I did on paint.net:

Cold%20Steel%20Espada%20Large%20straight%20spine%20deep%20carry%20mod.jpg

And here is the update on my Voyager:

IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG

With the rounded tip transition the balance is now almost exactly on the finger groove. After getting used to thumb flicking this beast, not a single one of my spydercos stands a chance. Even the "stiff" endura flies open like a child's toy! The only thing that would make this knife better for me is if there were a little more material towards the back of the handle, to push the tip of the knife down in use. I tried to make a pair of scales in peel ply G10, not once, but twice, but unfortunately so far, the learning curve has proved a bit steep, as the first time, I messed up so badly the scales would have been totally non-functional, and the second time they worked, but I had too much blade play due to imprecise positioning of the pivot hole relative to the stop pin hole, which required some reaming, and introduced blade play. Fixed blade handles are so much easier! I may try again, but given the last attempt took six hours, I will put it on the back burner for now, but I am by no means dissatisfied with the knife in its current form.

I love working on Cold Steel knives!

Okay, one more, my work EDC, can you spot the change? Of course you can! Now it's a precision cardboard devouring beast!

IMG_4714.JPG

I have a full time job in the auto industry, but I'd be open to modding knives for others as well, if the request is within my abilities, i.e. regrinds, reprofiling, sharpening, handle mods (not new scales!). I know what it's like to want that perfect knife, but not be able to find anyone to do it for me. Hence the development of these skills over the last couple years. If you want something done, PM me the details and we'll see what we can work out.
That voyager is one of the best looking cold steel knives I have ever seen,great job

Came out great. Maybe if i get time and money I'll get one and strip off that gold stuff too. Did you use citrusstrip?
I did, but that only took off the gold...beadblasted the black:)

~Chip

I'm carrying my modded Voyager right now. Love it. Great idea for the mod, credit to David Mary.

Glad you're enjoying it! To be fair, I drew inspiration elsewhere myself. "Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say: Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us." :)

Think I posted this on the CS Forum site before it went down, but don't think I ever posted it here. Not really a mod, but more like an accessory. Decided I wanted a frog for my Laredo sheaths, and made my own. Nothing fancy, but was a fun little project and even sold one of each on eBay too. Probably not much chance of the sheath actually falling out, but I added the cross piece anyway to help lock it in.

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2933x.jpg

IMG_2925x.jpg

IMG_2905x.jpg

Back