1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by UCPOPO, Aug 2, 2014.

1. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Ha! I added four finger grooves initially. Then I looked it over and decided to add a couple more. Now it reminds me of the REKAT Sifu. But that only has five grooves.

2. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    Well, now it looks badass and weird as hell :D Did you use a dremel or just files and sand paper. The job looks so clean. I'll get American Lawman sooner or later and will mod the handle as seen in WHP album so a lil more info on the method is appreciated.

3. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    I traced the handle onto paper, drew on the grooves, cut out the design and taped onto the handle. Then I used a half round file and sandpaper.
    A Dremel would certainly be another good option, especially for nicely beveling the edges. A sharp file does cut the G-10 aggressively.

David Mary and daybd like this.
  4. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    Thank you, Sir!

5. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    This is the only CS knife I have modified in any way. I have three of these CS 1917 Frontier Bowie knives in my collection, one in 1055 steel, and two in the 1080, (or is it 1085), steel.
    Anyhow, I took one of the 1080 series steel ones to modify by removing the blued finish from it's blade, (but leaving the blue on the guard and tang). The other two 1917's that I have, have been left in factory stock condition.
    This one with the now satin in the white steel blade, is still a project I want to someday continue. I wanted not just an un-blued blade for this one, but also want to replace it's Rosewood handle with an ivory colored one, (either in polymer ivory, or ivory colored linen micarta). I don't know if my skills are up to the task, and was hoping that someone would eventually offer an after market option for such a thing. Still, maybe one day, this knife will have the handle look I want for it ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    @slicecream I did a similar mod on my Voyager XL tanto, inspired by you. It's a nice size, in between large and xl models. Blade is about 4.5".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    That mod is too cool. I wonder what it looks like closed..

8. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    That's sweet. If you can live with the partially exposed liners, more power to you, but I found myself compelled to completely expose them. Doing it gives the illusion of a larger blade, with more of the tang exposed, and less handle. I am also gravitating away from handles with any points on them. All that said, I definitely dig your mod! :thumbsup:

9. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    0C10D997-2C52-4919-8C2D-1E4A76E764B3.jpeg Thanks man. Yeah for some reason the partially exposed liners don't really bother me. I like the cleaner look that you achieved and the additional handle contouring that you did. It balances at the front of the index finger groove which I like. I was thinking if I remove more handle material, the balance would shift more to the blade.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Yeah, I'd rather have the balance at the finger groove. I am not sure if I uploaded the most recent pics of mine, but I really narrowed the tip in order to bring the balance point back some. It will sit on the finger groove, but only tenuously, as it is still ever so slightly blade heavy.

11. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Mine is the same in terms of balance. It looks like you took a bit more off of the blade than me plus the drilled hole and thumb stud deletion.

12. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    It's too scary. I don't carry it.:eek:

13. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Stripped, swedged and thinned a bit...

Screenshot_20190730-172627_Photos.jpg

14. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    That voyager is one of the best looking cold steel knives I have ever seen,great job

David Mary likes this.
  15. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Came out great. Maybe if i get time and money I'll get one and strip off that gold stuff too. Did you use citrusstrip?

16. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I did, but that only took off the gold...beadblasted the black:)

~Chip

Beastchopper likes this.
  17. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Wow that is a very kind statement! It has its own (for sale) thread now! Feel free to check it out.

18. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm carrying my modded Voyager right now. Love it. Great idea for the mod, credit to David Mary.

David Mary likes this.
  19. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Glad you're enjoying it! To be fair, I drew inspiration elsewhere myself. "Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say: Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us." :)

Mike Sastre likes this.
  20. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Think I posted this on the CS Forum site before it went down, but don't think I ever posted it here. Not really a mod, but more like an accessory. Decided I wanted a frog for my Laredo sheaths, and made my own. Nothing fancy, but was a fun little project and even sold one of each on eBay too. Probably not much chance of the sheath actually falling out, but I added the cross piece anyway to help lock it in.

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2933x.jpg

IMG_2925x.jpg

IMG_2905x.jpg