Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Had lunch today with another retired SF buddy who had picked up a Schrade SCAMP4, a copy of the Demo Knife. Seemed to be fairly well made, and he only gave $5 for it, the interesting thing was it was from a service man who reportedly had it issued to him. Not sure if it was bought on a military contract or unit Discretionary Funds. John

Hows about well-executed gaudy?
Well executed is well executed, one of the cooler things about the true scout knife.

I am not fond of the brand shields on Steel Warrior, Sarge, Wild Turkey and most Rough Rider especially when they are not well executed.

I have a couple of dozen non-SAK scout knives. My favorite remains the Camillus 98 from the 60s. Don't know why, but it remains my favorite. Built like a tank.

Camillus%252098.JPG

veitsi-poika, Nice example and it has the little stud sticking out from the screwdriver. I was just looking at my Parachute Rigger made belt sheath for one of those and the top is all tore up from that stud grabbing the material as I took the Demo Knife out of the sheath. I have a 1986 Queen made one, the blade opens easily but the rest of the tools you need a screwdriver or a pair of pliers to open them. Might be why Queen only had the contract for one year. John

veitsi-poika, Nice example and it has the little stud sticking out from the screwdriver. I was just looking at my Parachute Rigger made belt sheath for one of those and the top is all tore up from that stud grabbing the material as I took the Demo Knife out of the sheath. I have a 1986 Queen made one, the blade opens easily but the rest of the tools you need a screwdriver or a pair of pliers to open them. Might be why Queen only had the contract for one year. John
It's funny you mentioned that John because I had to use pliers to get the punch open when I took that picture today LoL. But it is only real tight when all of the blades / tools were open... when everything is closed it opens as smooth as butter. I really like this knife :thumbsup:

- Kevin

Leghog my friend- thats one hell of a Wheel there my friend, those Bone beauts between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock make me sit up!
It's funnt as I was thinking when I was taking a few snaps yesterday of taking out my scouts for a clicky session in a group!

It's funny you mentioned that John because I had to use pliers to get the punch open when I took that picture today LoL. But it is only real tight when all of the blades / tools were open... when everything is closed it opens as smooth as butter. I really like this knife :thumbsup:

- Kevin
Those knives are known to break back springs so be careful. Best to only ever open on tool per spring at a time now that you have a pic.

My friend I saw the Shield on that one and my eyes instantly went to that Knife- those are some of the best made imo.

I also have one of those Keen Kutter's. Pretty sure the blade has been cleaned up, but not a lot and the blade shape looks like the one in leghog's photo, the rest of the blades look little used and are shinny. Thanks for the information that it is green bone, as I could not tell. John

Back