Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

The other Schrade Peach Seed- nice seeing the differences in the Jigging- although subtle - in fact this Border Lines a Pic Bone, this Knife's Main has more wear than the previous shown...also - this Knife'd Badge is upside down....or is it?:)

nSGTsu5.jpg

0axJiOE.jpg

PNec5l3.jpg

yhkznd1.jpg

Next up is this tremendous NY Knife Co - I was extremely pleased to be able to secure this Knife, as you see on the shield is the Face of Buffalo Bill, on the Blade- which is darned hard to photograph -but plainly seen "in the Flesh" is the Etching on the Main ... "America's Greatest ( with the same etched picture of Buffalo Bill as the Shield you see ) Buffalo Bill"

Most typical of New York knife Co- this Knife is outstanding, stunning Bone :eek:, hope you like as much as I do.....

gZ2G39x.jpg

bSIFwaE.jpg

RIv4iRY.jpg

Vv60xec.jpg

Next up is one of two Peach Seed Scouts by: Schrade Cut co. Walden NY.
I admit to going weak at the Knees whenever Schrades early ear Knives come up- especially Peach Seed!
Here is a beauty! these Schrades- the way the Peach seed Bone Convexes - almost as pronounced as a New York Scout- Almost but not Quite ( as shown on the NYK in post #499 in this thread - Looking at the Peach seed Jigging on this model- you'd almost swear it was a NYK with the Jigging - but again...not quite!
This Knife has done work- but not enough to look away from it - Still in Great shape!
OBHkvbE.jpg

9mPLBUU.jpg

c9rOYdV.jpg

umzUpKA.jpg

All of those knives are amazing, but this particular Schrade is simply gorgeous. That worn jigging is in that perfect state, where all its beauty shows through perfect. I would that all knives had bone that wonderful.

Spectacular Duncan !!! I found myself staring all over again...lol. The Buffalo Bill makes me swoon. What a collection !!! You've come a long way my man :);)

Thank you each and every one of you - these kind comments weigh a lot coming from from such esteemed guys who know their stuff.
Buzz- yeah - isn’t the old Peach Seed something else!

Thank You Gev - I sat down the other night and took out all my Scouts - a feeling of such gratefulness came over me as I feel I am so lucky owning these gorgeous knives.

So how do you like it?

I like it. The pull is a hair weaker than I like on the main but I have weak nails so that's OK. SAKs are about perfect for me and this one is just a hair weaker.

It came to me as dull as a butter knife. Looked like an unused factory edge. I just spent the last hour and a half with a stone and strop putting a more acute edge on the main. I'm not too great at freehand sharpening so its ugly but it will shave now. Had a hard time getting the inch closest to the handle as sharp as the rest but I'll sort it out as I use it. Going to tackle the sheepsfoot tomorrow.

The only other thing is I wish it had an awl. As I mentioned in another post I somehow overlooked the fact that it lacks one but thats not a real problem.

Overall I'm very pleased. The F&F is pretty good and, while a little bulky, it's not as heavy as I expected. I think I'll be able to pocket it comfortably. This one will make a nice companion to the Hess fixed blade I recently purchased.

Thanks for your info and guidance Buzzbait!

Next up is this tremendous NY Knife Co - I was extremely pleased to be able to secure this Knife, as you see on the shield is the Face of Buffalo Bill, on the Blade- which is darned hard to photograph -but plainly seen "in the Flesh" is the Etching on the Main ... "America's Greatest ( with the same etched picture of Buffalo Bill as the Shield you see ) Buffalo Bill"

Most typical of New York knife Co- this Knife is outstanding, stunning Bone :eek:, hope you like as much as I do.....

gZ2G39x.jpg

bSIFwaE.jpg

RIv4iRY.jpg

Vv60xec.jpg
That is my favorite of this recent group of gorgeous scouts Duncan. You know my favorite of all however is the stunning BRONZE Robeson you scored in PA:thumbsup:
The really neat and somewhat uncanny thing about the Buffalo Bill Scout is how much that shield and etch resembles you:eek::D:p

I like it. The pull is a hair weaker than I like on the main but I have weak nails so that's OK. SAKs are about perfect for me and this one is just a hair weaker.

That sounds about right for the R-4. The Camillus saw scouts are remarkably consistent in pull, fit and finish, except for maybe the Sierra Club variants. I think Camillus went for the slightly easier pull on their stainless scout knives (Pattern: #5779), because the majority of them were sold to Boy Scouts and other kids. But then again, all of their later patterns tended to have easier pulls. If you look for something like a Camillus-manufactured Kabar model 1152 (#14/4 pattern), the pull is about the same as a SAK. The main blade is carbon steel, and is much thinner behind the edge. So it's easier to reprofile, and more efficient at cutting. The Kabar also has a pretty decent awl, and the Delrin scales are particularly well sculpted. The knife really locks well into your hand, for just a 2-layer knife. The Kabar 1152 has long been one of the preferred scout patterns for more seasoned outdoorsmen. They're not a big collector's knife, but often sought out for hard real world use. They're amazing beaters.

Md8EySyh.jpg

Had a hard time getting the inch closest to the handle as sharp as the rest but I'll sort it out as I use it. Going to tackle the sheepsfoot tomorrow.

That always seems to be the way with Camillus blades, and many others. That last inch before the tang seems to inevitably be sharpened at a different angle.

This one will make a nice companion to the Hess fixed blade I recently purchased.

Hess knives go particularly well with scout patterns. :D:D:D

xQWpAiTh.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds about right for the R-4. The Camillus saw scouts are remarkably consistent in pull, fit and finish, except for maybe the Sierra Club variants. I think Camillus went for the slightly easier pull on their stainless scout knives (Pattern: #5779), because the majority of them were sold to Boy Scouts and other kids. But then again, all of their later patterns tended to have easier pulls. If you look for something like a Camillus-manufactured Kabar model 1152 (#14/4 pattern), the pull is about the same as a SAK. The main blade is carbon steel, and is much thinner behind the edge. So it's easier to reprofile, and more efficient at cutting. The Kabar also has a pretty decent awl, and the Delrin scales are particularly well sculpted. The knife really locks well into your hand, for just a 2-layer knife. The Kabar 1152 has long been one of the preferred scout patterns for more seasoned outdoorsmen. They're not a big collector's knife, but often sought out for hard real world use. They're amazing beaters.

Md8EySyh.jpg

That always seems to be the way with Camillus blades, and many others. That last inch before the tang seems to inevitably be sharpened at a different angle.

Hess knives go particularly well with scout patterns. :D:D:D

xQWpAiTh.jpg
Thanks for the additional info. I'll keep a Kabar in mind. Awesome pic :) How do like your Hess?

That is my favorite of this recent group of gorgeous scouts Duncan. You know my favorite of all however is the stunning BRONZE Robeson you scored in PA:thumbsup:
The really neat and somewhat uncanny thing about the Buffalo Bill Scout is how much that shield and etch resembles you:eek::D:p

Paul Thank you my friend.

Yes I can see the rugged handsome outlines of Buffalo Bills features there - there is a strong resemblance-
thank you for pointing that out! :D :thumbsup:

Back