Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Thanks for the additional info. I'll keep a Kabar in mind. Awesome pic :) How do like your Hess?

The Hess is amazing. 1095 Carbon steel blade made by GEC, and ground to a wonderfully thin convex edge by Hess. The stacked leather is primo. A really sweet knife for less than a hundred bucks. The stock sheath isn’t even that bad.

I agree with you Buzz
Those Hess Knives are great- I have owned a couple of them = amazing bang for your buck- as you say the Sheaths are good quality too.

The Hess is amazing. 1095 Carbon steel blade made by GEC, and ground to a wonderfully thin convex edge by Hess. The stacked leather is primo. A really sweet knife for less than a hundred bucks. The stock sheath isn’t even that bad.

I agree with you Buzz
Those Hess Knives are great- I have owned a couple of them = amazing bang for your buck- as you say the Sheaths are good quality too.
I agree the sheath is pretty nice. The tip of my Pioneer 'drags' on the inside of the sheath when inserting the knife. I'm hoping the leather will break in some with use and it won't be an issue. I'd hate to slice it open before I even get a patina on the blade :)

I agree with you Buzz
You guys are very, very bad influences! I've got a little Hess Muley on the way...

img_2032.jpg

Robeson ats34

Last but not least is this Empire Winsted CT. Girls scout Knife!
as are the Girl scouts- slightly smaller, but man I just love this little wee Knife @ 3 & 1/4 inches closed, this wee package is as tight as the day it was made, the Walk and Talk is magnificent, Beautiful Bone.... yeah...pretty Happy!

WuFeA7U.jpg

Y7Lztpe.jpg

ddo6dGN.jpg

0hhVUJM.jpg

A group shot to finish it all..

I was away when all these great Scouts were posted! Incredibly nice, Duncan!!
Superior group!!

I picked up this NYKC "Army Knife" scout this past week... really an awesome knife in great shape despite it's age. I'm still doing research on the year so if anyone has any idea I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. This one is strange because it looks like the original New York Knife Co stamp has been ground down but you can still see the Walden part and it looks like "EAGLE PHILA." or "CAGLE PHILA." has been stamped over the original Arm/Hammer logo. Not sure if this would give some insight as whether this actually was a military issue or not.

NYKCSK-1A.JPG NYKCSK-1B.JPG NYKCSK-1C.JPG NYKCSK-1D.JPG

Good question Kevin, Im not sure if it was a Retailer/Merchant who resold the Knife and put their name on instead of the Manufacturer- which happened a lot, or..... it was sold out into the Retail sector after the war?.... Buzz may help here- Im just grasping for vines as I sink in the Quicksand.

I recently found this Schrade made KS706 Pioneer camp knife for Keen Kutter, I believe it was made post Winchester era, pre Shapleigh. The punch still has all of the bluing, I guess in this case you'd call it yellowing? I like this knife a lot, looks like it was put away shortly after it was purchased. pioneerr.jpg
pioneeer.jpg

I'm never "actively" looking for the old Boy Scout knives but I am always looking LoL... the other day I stumbled across this c.1960 Imperial Official Boy Scout Knife. It was dirty but in overall great condition, many of these I have seen in the past are a mess. As I was cleaning it up I noticed a slight etch popping through and after oiling the blades everything just felt snappy and great with this knife. It puts my previous example of this model to shame :D:thumbsup:

IMPSC-3A.JPG IMPSC-3B.JPG IMPSC-3C.JPG IMPSC-3D.JPG IMPSC-3E.JPG

Sometimes you find 'em like new and sometimes you gotta spruce 'em up... either way, nice pair of Ulster scouts :):thumbsup:

View attachment 919759 View attachment 919760 View attachment 919761
I'm still thinking about the Eagle :D I have an Eagle stamped knife and as per lambertina they were a retailer that bought other manufacturer's knives and re-stamped them. Herder had some great info too. Here it is :
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-657#post-17606153

Those Ulsters are the bomb !!!! You are killing it with the fine scouts, Kevin !!!!!

I'm still thinking about the Eagle :D I have an Eagle stamped knife and as per lambertina they were a retailer that bought other manufacturer's knives and re-stamped them. Herder had some great info too. Here it is :
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-657#post-17606153

Those Ulsters are the bomb !!!! You are killing it with the fine scouts, Kevin !!!!!
Thanks Gev :) The one Ulster was a complete rust bucket two days ago, I'm pretty happy with how it cleaned up :thumbsup: I did hear a little bit about Eagle but will check out the info you posted, thank you :D

Back