Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

I’m wondering about these older style can openers and how they work. It’s probably fairly straight forward but they are backwards as compared to the ones I have seen from newer knives. The ridges that seem like the would provide traction on the lip of the can don’t seem to be in a useful place for how I imagine the can opener working. An explanation with perhaps a photo would be appreciated. Do you pierce the can and cut on the up stroke instead of the down stroke that’s the only way I can think of that would utilize the ridges and not risk the can opener closing up. Thanks
26723541-61E0-45C1-B0F3-9DDE477979D0.jpeg

Sorry I disappeared for a few days. A family medical emergency came up, and real life took precedence. But as far we can tell, everything is okay for now.

But wow!!! It looks like I got derailed just as things were getting heated up around here. So many incredible knives. I wouldn’t even know where to start. Seeing your collections really shows me just how varied and amazing the scout pattern truly is, and how tiny my own meager collection is. LOL. I’m truly humbled after seeing all of your wonderful knives. Thank you so much for posting them.

The scout knife is so very interesting in how each company has taken a slightly different approach to the pattern. Some efforts show a definite flair toward the artistic side of the cutlery industry, while others are uncompromisingly logical in their approach. Some of these knives seem to be almost indestructible, while others are extraordinarily elegant, for lack of a better world. Each one I see forces me to reevaluate my own preferences, and examine yet another aspect or two of the incredible camp knife.

And thank you all for the kind words.

QcTRsQ2h.jpg

I feel that the Case 6445R scout knife doesn't get enough love around here. They're not too hard to find, unused 1970's models regularly appearing on auction for less than a hundred bucks. This is a slightly oversized model, with some very thick stock used for the tools. The dark reddish bone covers are nicely jigged in a random pattern. Polished carbon steel blades and brass liners adorn the knife.

Walk and talk varies a bit from sample to sample. The tools usually have great snap, but the main blade seems to range from a 3 to about a 5. Opening and closing is exceptionally smooth. We're talking Remington level smoothness here. I'd describe the action as luxurious in the extreme.

The unusual thing about this model is the highly canted blades. None of the 4 blades are positioned straight out from the handle when opened. They cant downward at a more extreme angle than I've seen on other scouts. The high degree of cant makes the main blade an absolute pleasure to use. The level of comfort during extended cutting sessions is remarkable.

I should mention that the awl on the 6445R is crazy good. Very long and super pointy. Rounded, beveled and swedged on the mark side, and flat on the back. One of the best looking and best working awls I've used.

The cap lifter/screwdriver is.......... Well, the cap lifter works great. And the screwdriver has a strong, broad tip that is unlikely to deform easily. The problem is with using the screwdriver. The tool is canted so much that it's a bit of a challenge to rotate the screwdriver, without the tip sliding out of the screw head. It's kind of like using a normal screwdriver with a slightly bent shaft.

The two-piece can opener is of a rather vintage variety, a real throwback. But it's sharp and pointy enough that it's pretty good for opening mail and Amazon boxes, so I find it to be more useful than most older can openers.

The bail's size and shape is pretty much perfect for this knife, although it might rotate perhaps a tad too freely. The main blade is ground a hair thicker than I'd prefer. The weight of the knife is on the heavy side for a scout, because the knife is just so massive. But all in all, this is a really great scout knife. It's like the Cadillac of scouts. Case truly did an exceptional job designing this knife, making it stand out from the rest of the competition.

1i0f2DGh.jpg
SSZkQk5h.jpg

I’m wondering about these older style can openers and how they work. It’s probably fairly straight forward but they are backwards as compared to the ones I have seen from newer knives. The ridges that seem like the would provide traction on the lip of the can don’t seem to be in a useful place for how I imagine the can opener working. An explanation with perhaps a photo would be appreciated. Do you pierce the can and cut on the up stroke instead of the down stroke that’s the only way I can think of that would utilize the ridges and not risk the can opener closing up. Thanks
View attachment 1075011

Here's the picture from the patent describing how it works.

JtbiGqW.jpg

And here is the full page. I just happened to find the picture on Etsy last week. There's a vendor selling t-shirts with this pic.

FFnnFnX.jpg

Now what I'm finding super-hilarious are the words our very own B Bartleby from an older conversation we had, regarding the modern claw type (Mirando) can owner found on scouts:

XXE7TD4.png

Micheal Mirando's patent was in response to a war department request as a result of suffering many casualties through wounds on sharp can edges that were severe enough to require treatment, removing soldiers from combat. It was used on all of the Mil-k-818s as well as other American military contract knives made in 1944-45 (patent protection suspended due to the war).

But as it turns out, the very same two prong can opener that devastated our armed forces with jagged can cuts, prompting the creation of the Mirando claw style can opener, was patented by the very same Michael Mirando!!! He was both our bitter enemy and our savior. LOL

Last edited:
QcTRsQ2h.jpg

I feel that the Case 6445R scout knife doesn't get enough love around here. They're not too hard to find, unused 1970's models regularly appearing on auction for less than a hundred bucks. This is a slightly oversized model, with some very thick stock used for the tools. The dark reddish bone covers are nicely jigged in a random pattern. Polished carbon steel blades and brass liners adorn the knife.

Walk and talk varies a bit from sample to sample. The tools usually have great snap, but the main blade seems to range from a 3 to about a 5. Opening and closing is exceptionally smooth. We're talking Remington level smoothness here. I'd describe the action as luxurious in the extreme.

The unusual thing about this model is the highly canted blades. None of the 4 blades are positioned straight out from the handle when opened. They cant downward at a more extreme angle than I've seen on other scouts. The high degree of cant makes the main blade an absolute pleasure to use. The level of comfort during extended cutting sessions is remarkable.

I should mention that the awl on the 6445R is crazy good. Very long and super pointy. Rounded, beveled and swedged on the mark side, and flat on the back. One of the best looking and best working awls I've used.

The cap lifter/screwdriver is.......... Well, the cap lifter works great. And the screwdriver has a strong, broad tip that is unlikely to deform easily. The problem is with using the screwdriver. The tool is canted so much that it's a bit of a challenge to rotate the screwdriver, without the tip sliding out of the screw head. It's kind of like using a normal screwdriver with a slightly bent shaft.

The two-piece can opener is of a rather vintage variety, a real throwback. But it's sharp and pointy enough that it's pretty good for opening mail and Amazon boxes, so I find it to be more useful than most older can openers.

The bail's size and shape is pretty much perfect for this knife, although it might rotate perhaps a tad too freely. The main blade is ground a hair thicker than I'd prefer. The weight of the knife is on the heavy side for a scout, because the knife is just so massive. But all in all, this is a really great scout knife. It's like the Cadillac of scouts. Case truly did an exceptional job designing this knife, making it stand out from the rest of the competition.

1i0f2DGh.jpg
SSZkQk5h.jpg
Thanks for the review. That is beautiful.

Pretty sure it was Buzzbait. Carbon steel. Still tight with great main blade snap and all good on the others.
1b52YSI.jpg

This may sound insignificant, but the bail is quite lovely. Nicely shaped around the pin, and loads of detail. I quite admire when a maker pays particular attention to the little things. There are entirely too many ugly bails in this world.

Nice beefy main blade too, and the long pull make it even nicer so.

Is that really bone, or just exceptionally well jigged Delrin? If it is indeed bone, another scout has been added to my short list of knives to track down.
I don't think Imperial made any bone handled Boy Scout knives... from 1949 to 1962 they mostly made these models below. The faux jigged bone knife (BSA #1046) started production in 1962... with that said, wazu's example is a beauty!

IMPBS-1A.JPG IMPBS-1B.JPG IMPSC-3A.JPG IMPSC-3C.JPG
IMPBS-2A.JPG
IMPBS-2B.JPG
IMPBS1.JPG
IMPBS2.JPG
IMPBS3.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the picture from the patent describing how it works.

JtbiGqW.jpg

And here is the full page. I just happened to find the picture on Etsy last week. There's a vendor selling t-shirts with this pic.

FFnnFnX.jpg

Now what I'm finding super-hilarious are the words our very own B Bartleby from an older conversation we had, regarding the modern claw type (Mirando) can owner found on scouts:

But as it turns out, the very same two prong can opener that devastated our armed forces with jagged can cuts, prompting the creation of the Mirando claw style can opener, was patented by the very same Michael Mirando!!! He was both our bitter enemy and our savior. LOL
Glad you posted this Buzz because I was about to start opening a can of diced jalapenos (with pictures) just for the heck of it LoL :D It really does work great once you get the hang of it... just have to push the crotch of the claw up tight against the edge of the lid and make sure the pry arm is tight against the top sidewall of the can and pull up :thumbsup:

LOL! Good men learn from their mistakes, smart men improve things from their learning.

69 pages.. only 2 Challenge knives... Pretty ones, though..

Here's 5 more: the long pull samples are stainless. Surprised me, too.
F8D2dMc.jpg

B42ONDx.jpg

NADjYRF.jpg

Here's 5 more that I carry all the time: Western, Craftsman (Ulster mfr, probably), Imperial Kamp King, Ka-Bar (Camillus mfr?), and my old bone Boker.

5pq01lu.jpg

yJ2gxaO.jpg

Here's a look at that pocket clip lanyard on the Craftsman. Neat stuff, works great.
EsWm3QQ.jpg

And a look at why I love this Boker: small blade, giant caplifter/screwdriverscraperthing. The straight nose on the can opener is an acceptable awl as well.
wX5XOOm.jpg

Group main blade shot.. obligatory, right?

YHlK8PW.jpg

RXTDZ6v.jpg

Enjoy your old knives, fellas. And be careful closing those godawful scale breaking can openers on the samples such equipped.

View attachment 1075011
AKA "hand opener".

Back