Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Remarkable mend! I can't see it even in the closeup.
Thank you! I appreciate that.

Holy cow!!!! That's amazing. I'd never even know it was repaired. What did you end up using for the repair?
Thank you!
I got some JB weld epoxy at the hardware store and some powder on amazon called ez tint in brown and black. I mixed the powders going a little heavy on the black figuring it wouldn’t stand out as much being too dark rather than too light. Mixed it an filled the handle crack with painters tape to hold it after it set and cured while I was at work I carved away the excess around the pin and sort of whittled the rest with a small pen blade to look as much like the jigging as I could manage.
@glennbad answered a few questions about repairs that were extremely helpful.

Thank you! I appreciate that.

Thank you!
I got some JB weld epoxy at the hardware store and some powder on amazon called ez tint in brown and black. I mixed the powders going a little heavy on the black figuring it wouldn’t stand out as much being too dark rather than too light. Mixed it an filled the handle crack with painters tape to hold it after it set and cured while I was at work I carved away the excess around the pin and sort of whittled the rest with a small pen blade to look as much like the jigging as I could manage.
@glennbad answered a few questions about repairs that were extremely helpful.

Really well done. You can totally hang your hat on that one. Thanks for letting us know how you did it. I'm betting I'll be using that technique in the future.

Really well done. You can totally hang your hat on that one. Thanks for letting us know how you did it. I'm betting I'll be using that technique in the future.
Thanks again for the kind words. If you want more specifics feel free to pm me.

Mid-war Camillus.

Camillus%2520Steel%252017-170%2520on%2520Steel%2520Cents.JPG

Nice Knives everyone!
jddistin- I like that repair- I do the same when working with Wood- not that I do a lot of that- but with Old Houses- I use a lot of two pack epoxy resin plus the Wood Powder from sanding = perfect.

Yes, Buzz, I've got a couple too. Careless closing is the only way I can see it happening.

I've had it happen too Buzz. Seems like it wanted to go the right way most of the time. So I was just careful to make sure it did.

I'v e had that happen as well Buzz, does it overlap every time?

The can opener was bent, so when it was closed this way, the cap lifter’s screwdriver tip actually rested on top off the bottom prong of the can opener, thus locking the two tools into the closed position. I had to put the knife in a vise, and use a flathead screwdriver jammed in the cap lifter’s nail nick to force the tools open far enough to part them. A wicked job!!!

Now I’m busy trying to crink all of the tools, so they fit without any rubbing. Unfortunately, the cap lifter’s screwdriver tip is badly bent. I’m not sure that I can straighten it enough to make things fit properly.

I have a Scout that does Exactly the same Buzz- exactly.
I'v e had that happen as well Buzz, does it overlap every time?

Yes, Buzz, I've got a couple too. Careless closing is the only way I can see it happening.

I've had it happen too Buzz. Seems like it wanted to go the right way most of the time. So I was just careful to make sure it did.

Wow!!! I thought I’d be the only one. Are all of these problems with Remington/Pal can openers?

I've had scouts and stockmen with the same problem. I've just learned to push the closed blade to the side when I close the other one.

Buzz- I am going to have to dig deep to find - but from memory it was a Remington - I think! I will let you know my friend!

Back