Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

I would not be looking forward to primitive combat . But we're already in a precarious position due to a coronavirus that as of CDC revised death toll now only at 9k souls as the rest had pre existing or were old . And if this BLM thing goes sideways nationwide and the truckers go home to protect their family we could be in a bad spot.

I have a hard time conceiving a lack of ammunition. By the time we all run out of ammo there wouldn’t be a living thing left on the planet.

If it were to come to edge weapons, then I would want a relatively small fixed blade that can be carried concealed. The primary purpose of that blade would be to carry out a surprise attack on enemy military personnel, so as to take possession of their superior weapons and equipment. A common steak knife would probably be ideal.

Yes, we all know and have better blades. But, there would be good reasons to avoid identifying yourself as a potential badass, or for not using something that can easily be traced back to you.

n2s

I have a hard time conceiving a lack of ammunition. By the time we all run out of ammo there wouldn’t be a living thing left on the planet.

If it were to come to edge weapons, then I would want a relatively small fixed blade that can be carried concealed. The primary purpose of that blade would be to carry out a surprise attack on enemy military personnel, so as to take possession of their superior weapons and equipment. A common steak knife would probably be ideal.

Yes, we all know and have better blades. But, there would be good reasons to avoid identifying yourself as a potential badass, or for not using something that can easily be traced back to you.

n2s
Well with all due respect sir we arent all you and all the rest with rooms full of ammo . I have a bit . Many who were just working and taking care of their families may have not seen this coming .
yIJxXBf.png

And this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is what they are dealing with now . 2.00 / rd for junk pmc bronze 9mm

So primitive weapons may be a more affordable alternative .

So back to the discussion does anyone have any oppinions on who has the best heat treatment ? Zombie Tools HT any good ? Im really liking that apokatana 5160 but as everyone knows heat treat is everything .

I could never conceivably run out of ammo, will be easy to pick off dudes foraging for food/ moving through the landscape. I hope they have some nice blades on them.

realistically if you're talking about murdering people who are just looking for food you're bad off enough that you should at least learn how to butcher and smoke the meat. A standard long pig should get you 60 pounds of muscle, give or take. Avoid the brain, this sounds bad enough without zombies. My advice is therefore the same knife you'd use for hunting.

You may have run out of ammo! As a maker collector I have a wide variety of sharp & pointy tools :D. Stay safe & , At the ready!:thumbsup:

I've more edged weapons I'd ever manage to carry at one time, Functional swords start at less than $100 and machetes have killed more than we can count.

This mental masturbation threads may pass the time of day but amount to next to nothing.

Come storm the citadel, I'm ready.

Cheers

dcp_1799.jpg dcp_1806.jpg

Last edited:
I think that if you cloned someone and put the clones against each other (equal skill, strength and mentality), this is the outcome:

Sharp machete vs thick, slow, unbalanced SLO: Machete user wins.

Sharp machete vs fast, balanced, good sword: Sword user easily wins.

War hammer/spear vs machete or SLO: War hammer/spear wins.

War hammer/spear vs fast, balanced, good sword: Sword wins.

Any of the above vs bigass titanium sword or 4 foot long titanium smatchet: bigass titanium sword wins.

Winner: Bigass titanium sword or 4 foot long smatchet!

I think that if you cloned someone and put the clones against each other (equal skill, strength and mentality), this is the outcome:

Sharp machete vs thick, slow, unbalanced SLO: Machete user wins.

Sharp machete vs fast, balanced, good sword: Sword user easily wins.

War hammer/spear vs machete or SLO: War hammer/spear wins.

War hammer/spear vs fast, balanced, good sword: Sword wins.

Any of the above vs bigass titanium sword or 4 foot long titanium smatchet: bigass titanium sword wins.

Winner: Bigass titanium sword or 4 foot long smatchet!

Frankly, it is the user and his/her training and ability that is going to generally establish the hypothetical winner more than the melee weapon of choice.

Some of these comments have some possible merit given scenarios wherein both combatants have zero or little good training, which of course is most folk these days.

Nonetheless, I suspect a good, not overweighted, club, stick, or baton is going to carry the day against a similarly untrained person with a SLO or even something decent in that regard.

This is not to account for mind set, which is going to again likely determine the winner amongst most untrained to poorly trained combatants.

To the IP’s question, get some actual, legitimate training. Then you will almost certainly carry the day with the weapon with which you are trained.

Re the talk of Japanese style swords, Legitimate old school JSA training can be had, though you might have to move for it. Do not be suckered.

Along those lines, pretty much if not all “Japanese style” SLO’s mentioned are improperly designed in so many ways I cannot begin to address that here.

Would you all be talking what offensive or defensive firearm to buy for this scenario and not consider expert training in the calculus?

An untrained fool with a $4k Nighthawk loses every time (barring complete surprise and/or being seriously outnumbered) to a solid Gunsight or Thunder Ranch grad with a stock 1911.

Frankly, it is the user and his/her training and ability that is going to generally establish the hypothetical winner more than the melee weapon of choice.

Some of these comments have some possible merit given scenarios wherein both combatants have zero or little good training, which of course is most folk these days.

Nonetheless, I suspect a good, not overweighted, club, stick, or baton is going to carry the day against a similarly untrained person with a SLO or even something decent in that regard.

This is not to account for mind set, which is going to again likely determine the winner amongst most untrained to poorly trained combatants.

To the IP’s question, get some actual, legitimate training. Then you will almost certainly carry the day with the weapon with which you are trained.

Re the talk of Japanese style swords, Legitimate old school JSA training can be had, though you might have to move for it. Do not be suckered.

Along those lines, pretty much if not all “Japanese style” SLO’s mentioned are improperly designed in so many ways I cannot begin to address that here.

Would you all be talking what offensive or defensive firearm to buy for this scenario and not consider expert training in the calculus?

An untrained fool with a $4k Nighthawk loses every time (barring complete surprise and/or being seriously outnumbered) to a solid Gunsight or Thunder Ranch grad with a stock 1911.

That's why in my hypothetical, the combatants were direct clones of each other with the exact same skills, strengths and weaknesses.

If there is a fight between similarly skilled opponents and one has a stick/club and the other has a nice thin sharp sword, the sword guy is going to easily win 99% of the time imo. Stick guy is going to get his hand chopped off.

In all of these hypothetical scenarios, I find it odd that nobody brings up a good steel shield, or even a good set of steel vambraces. It takes years of training and more than a little luck to use sharps in combat and not expect to get sliced up in return. I saw a picture of Aldo Naldi, one of the top fencers in the world in the early 20th century, fighting a duel with sharps. He was lunging at his opponent with his back foot off the ground, a profoundly amateur mistake that he didn't make fencing for gold medals in the Olympics. When asked, his response was basically that looking into a sharpened sword is not conducive to subtle, precise footwork. This was a top fencer at the top of his game in a planned duel where the playing field was one on one with seconds to enforce the rules.

I would rather have an off-the-shelf domed steel shield from Museum Replicas and punch with my off-hand than run around with whatever weapon. Paint it like Captain America cosplay to make it nonthreatening and you might not even rack up any felonies wandering around with it.

All in fun right :)

like some have mentioned I’m pretty set on ammo and have components and loading equipment to go the long haul

I’m with the comment above when it comes to I’ll be working from as much distance as I can but if all else fails and bladed discourse is the rule of the day I’m super prepared years of kendo and a hellacious Japanese sword collection give me a lot of options

some go to pieces are a few Hartsfield’s , Michael Bells , Louie Mills, Mirabile etc

But to be honest I’ve really been impressed with this Dragonfly Cutter from Mirabile

super strong cutter with a rather compact size choke up on it and it’s very fast grip back on it and big power

Last edited:
All in fun right :)

like some have mentioned I’m pretty set on ammo and have components and loading equipment to go the long haul

I’m with the comment above when it comes to I’ll be working from as much distance as I can but if all else fails and bladed discourse is the rule of the day I’m super prepared years of kendo and a hellacious Japanese sword collection give me a lot of options

some go to pieces are a few Hartsfield’s , Michael Bells , Louie Mills, Mirabile etc

But to be honest I’ve really been impressed with this Dragonfly Cutter from Mirabile

super strong cutter with a rather compact size choke up on it and it’s very fast grip back on it and big power

Since you have all that great hardware and know-how, Mecha will want to make some clones of you to settle on what works...

I love all the pieces you showed.

Since you have all that great hardware and know-how, Mecha will want to make some clones of you to settle on what works...

I love all the pieces you showed.

Sam and I have spoken in person about what I believe works and it’s always fun :)

Hi Sam hope you are well buddy

thx for the comment on the blades

I’ve spent years sparring with sword like objects and it’s taught me many things

distance
Timing
Ability to change direction
Speed
Power

are all key

a weapon that can give you the option of working in the open and in close quarters is the best general weapon

to swing a long sword in close quarters is folly and to use a short sword in the open can be not the best option

my Sensei was a Japanese kendo master that was featured in the old BBC documentary BUDO

Here we are in NY at a tournament a few decades ago

I’m amped beyond belief

I’ll never forget one day he squared off against a few of us he was armed with a wakizashi sized shinai and we had full length shinai

he moved around the room tangling us upon ourselves and never let us surround him but made us get in our own way

he would than block and strike and move through us and it was incredible and frustrating all at the same time

he showed us that the right technique and proper use of your weapon was key

spent years there training 3 nights a week 3 hours a night

warm up was a few thousand swings with heavy oak bokens nightly

check out the film BUDO and Suji’s part of it he was a young highly ranked Kendoist in Japan when it was filmed

Suji can be seen starting at 4:40 and is featured through this entire sword segment from the documentary. You will recognize him from our pic but he of course is much older in our pic

so if you think using a sword is something taught by cutting water bottles in your back yard think again

a man with a good sword that knows how to use it Is a formidable opponent

someone Who thinks they know how to use it is just that

like any weapon you need time behind it to become proficient with it

here I am in my early 20’s testing a Katana the great Phill Hartsfield made for me

Recent in my 50’s

double cut that the targets did not know they were cut for a bit

so I’ve been at this for a few decades so I’m fairly confident wether it be Sword , baseball bat , pool cue etc I’m gonna turn my opponent into a human popsicle :)

there is a drop cut in my Sig at bottom of page

Last edited:
Back