Lets talk GEC!

I was hoping to snatch one of those gec combs today. Didnt work out. I think it went from coming soon to sold out instantly. Its a shame you have to preorder a production knife. And even doing that, you arent given enough of a time window.

I’m convinced Mr. Howard could could make a sewing needle and it would sell. I can’t believe the frenzy over the #35 B&S. I know I should be able to, but it just doesn’t add up in my head. Those gorgeous Maher and Grosh variants sat over night, but folks would climb over their wife, child and mother to procure a comb! :D

perhaps GEC anticipates the, “I’ll pass on that one; I already have a dozen spear/pen combo knives” response? Maybe they know you have to give the people something new once in a while?

well I’m happy for GEC’s success with the B&S versions; it means they will be able to make more knives- ones that I’ll have to climb over my wife, child and mother to get.

I’m convinced Mr. Howard could could make a sewing needle and it would sell. I can’t believe the frenzy over the #35 B&S. I know I should be able to, but it just doesn’t add up in my head. Those gorgeous Maher and Grosh variants sat over night, but folks would climb over their wife, child and mother to procure a comb! :D

perhaps GEC anticipates the, “I’ll pass on that one; I already have a dozen spear/pen combo knives” response? Maybe they know you have to give the people something new once in a while?

well I’m happy for GEC’s success with the B&S versions; it means they will be able to make more knives- ones that I’ll have to climb over my wife, child and mother to get.

I'm pretty sure they still have rugs, flashlights, and paperweights for sale ;).

I get your point and agree... just trying to be funny :D.

I'm one that passed on the small mammal comb, but picked up an M&G. I look at it as the more people buy comb knives the less money they have to buy knives that I want so everybody's happy :thumbsup:

I can’t believe the frenzy over the #35 B&S. I know I should be able to, but it just doesn’t add up in my head. Those gorgeous Maher and Grosh variants sat over night, but folks would climb over their wife, child and mother to procure a comb!

Just marketing. Not as many people know about M&G and that they are made by GEC or that they had a new knife coming out.

Plus some people are probably collectors of GEC branded knives rather than M&G branded knives.

Trying to apply logic to collecting like this isn't going to give you a satisfactory answer.

I've been sifting through a LOT of old catalogs from the late 1800s and early 1900s - there are a lot of really cool patterns that GEC could resurrect. The more deeply I delve into the history, the more I recognize that GEC has barely scratched the surface in terms of what they have produced so far and what they potentially could produce in the future.

Ideally, GEC has a very bright future and I hope that they keep doing what they are doing.

With my current interest residing with old coke bottle knives - I'd love to see a proper "Stabber Jack" produced. Essentially a medium coke bottle (3 3/4 - 3 7/8) with a spear main and a pen or coping secondary.

dgJdkNU.jpg

One can fantasize...

Last edited:
I've been sifting through a LOT of old catalogs from the late 1800s and early 1900s - there are a lot of really cool patterns that GEC could resurrect. The more deeply I delve into the history, the more I recognize that GEC has barely scratched the surface in terms of what they have produced so far and what they potentially could produce in the future.

Ideally, GEC has a very bright future and I hope that they keep doing what they are doing.

With my current interest residing with old coke bottle knives - I'd love to see a proper "Stabber Jack" produced. Essentially a medium coke bottle (3 3/4 - 3 7/8) with a spear main and a pen or coping secondary.

dgJdkNU.jpg

One can fantasize...

I would love GEC to make that pattern, Northfield version 100 plus years old.

IMG_2543.jpeg

The M&Gs may have stayed on the shelves due to the fact that they appeal to a more discerning enthusiast;) Whereas the Sausagecombs are much more whimsy orientated and thus instant hit material :D

The M&Gs may have stayed on the shelves due to the fact that they appeal to a more discerning enthusiast;) Whereas the Sausagecombs are much more whimsy orientated and thus instant hit material :D

Well, I mean, "stayed on the shelves" is perhaps a tad hyperbolic, as it could be read as to imply that they didn't sell well. These knives were nearly $40 more than the Beer & Sausage knives, and all four variants still sold out in a matter of some hours. It would have been $600 for the set of four (if that had been your goal), and they still all vanished in less than a day. I bet if these knives had been the same price as the B&S, they'd probably have sold much quicker. I am more inclined along Norcaldude Norcaldude 's idea that people simply didn't know about them. I don't recall seeing them advertised anywhere, and if I hadn't been a member here (or on another forum that's, well, let's just say that Pocket Knives are All they talk About) I could see many folks not having any idea these even existed. A bunch of folks on IG didn't even know that these had dropped until they saw a picture I had posted. In that exact same way, I myself didn't know that the Lone Star #35s had dropped until I started seeing pictures of them, and of course I'm sure those are gone.

That said, you are 100% correct about the B&S knives being whimsy oriented. I'm a huge fan for that exact reason!

Well, I mean, "stayed on the shelves" is perhaps a tad hyperbolic, as it could be read as to imply that they didn't sell well. These knives were nearly $40 more than the Beer & Sausage knives, and all four variants still sold out in a matter of some hours. It would have been $600 for the set of four (if that had been your goal), and they still all vanished in less than a day. I bet if these knives had been the same price as the B&S, they'd probably have sold much quicker. I am more inclined along Norcaldude Norcaldude 's idea that people simply didn't know about them. I don't recall seeing them advertised anywhere, and if I hadn't been a member here (or on another forum that's, well, let's just say that Pocket Knives are All they talk About) I could see many folks not having any idea these even existed. A bunch of folks on IG didn't even know that these had dropped until they saw a picture I had posted. In that exact same way, I myself didn't know that the Lone Star #35s had dropped until I started seeing pictures of them, and of course I'm sure those are gone.

That said, you are 100% correct about the B&S knives being whimsy oriented. I'm a huge fan for that exact reason!
I've said this elsewhere but I repeat it here.
Maher and Grosh drops are measured in dog time, to sell out in less than 24 hours is like 1 minute real time.;)

Yep. Spear/pen single end is near bottom of the barrel for me. The B&S version is the bottom. Happy they sold well.

Back