Lets talk GEC!

Has GEC ever made a stainless stockman or whittler? I am thinking 38, 66, 81, 82 etc but no stainless versions of those patterns come to mind.

Don't think so, their parsimony with stainless is notorious ;) The only GEC stainless pocket knives I have are 33 Conductors, 68 White Owl, a 73, a 15 but no 3 blade knives. IF they exist they must be rare. How about a scaled down Dixie say 3.5 or 3 3/8" in 154?:cool: or a Farmer's Jack all stainless? Yes please!

Has GEC ever made a stainless stockman or whittler? I am thinking 38, 66, 81, 82 etc but no stainless versions of those patterns come to mind.

Don't think so, their parsimony with stainless is notorious ;) The only GEC stainless pocket knives I have are 33 Conductors, 68 White Owl, a 73, a 15 but no 3 blade knives. IF they exist they must be rare. How about a scaled down Dixie say 3.5 or 3 3/8" in 154?:cool: or a Farmer's Jack all stainless? Yes please!
Weren’t some of the Cuban stockmans stainless?

From the top, left to right, all 440C #53 Cubans (followed by a few other stainless knives):
Elk Stag, Burnt Stag, Red Stag, Stained Green Tea Bone, 2nd Cut Burnt Stag, Red Wine Bone, Chocolate Bone.
hT2obTT.jpg

I saw a dealer selling Beer and Sausage stickers!

I haven't been pulled into the beer and sausage gang....yet. but those stickers are lookin' cool

From the top, left to right, all 440C #53 Cubans (followed by a few other stainless knives):
Elk Stag, Burnt Stag, Red Stag, Stained Green Tea Bone, 2nd Cut Burnt Stag, Red Wine Bone, Chocolate Bone.
hT2obTT.jpg

I always love your acorn collection, Jeff. They're such good knives, and most of those come from a time when GECs had something different about them. The quality was there then just as much as it is now, but, just... different, in a good way.

I can’t get the GEC website to work on my phone so I will ask what year those 53’s were made?

While we're on the stainless topic, something almost lost in the mists of time...;) Here's a 73 that I had converted to single-blade, my first GEC actually:cool: Since the early years 07-09 there's not been a lot of stainless and I haven't had a new stainless from them since mid 2016 a 15 single blade. A lot of back & forth goes on about this stainless strategy (omitting it..) but I remain convinced it's a wrong move in the long run. I've always argued that there's a definite market for good quality stainless Traditionals- see the growth in interest in Lionsteel & Viper from Italy. My hope is that GEC can and will invest profits in getting modern tooling capable of turning out sustained stainless runs. But I don't hold my breath, I suspect the owner simply prefers not to offer stainless knives:rolleyes: His company, his choice of course.

vdvfrre.jpg

This shows the bone which I for one, like a lot. The other cool aspect of stainless was the Cyclops Ironworks tang stamp, hidden from view here.

CVkN15C.jpg

Back