Lets talk GEC!

I'm sure the yellow banana bone will be cool, and the banana shield is great, but I just don't love the teardrop frame. I haven't held one, but it looks like a waste of handle length and unergonomic. But that's the nice thing, there's knives and patterns for all tastes!

Alright Logan, you’ve given me the mission to change your mind.

I'm sure the yellow banana bone will be cool, and the banana shield is great, but I just don't love the teardrop frame. I haven't held one, but it looks like a waste of handle length and unergonomic. But that's the nice thing, there's knives and patterns for all tastes!
The teardrop frame is very ergonomic in use and in pocket. One of the best, IMO. The way GEC does the candle end, there is a bit of wasted length, but I can live with that.
I say you should try one!:thumbsup:

I have been chipping away at compiling a GEC production database and figured I would ask if anyone knows of one already? It sure would save me a lot of time :)
Since I am taking a statistics class right now I thought it would be fun to play with the numbers a little bit. One thing that occurred to me is that I should be able to make some predictions about the probability of future releases :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It might also be interesting to see # of knives or patterns by year or material or however else you want to slice it up. The database also makes it really easy to answer questions that come up here...like which knives had a certain cover material or which were SFOs and what dealer's were they...etc.
Anyway, I'll keep at it but if anyone is aware of a database that already exists I would much appreciate it!

I have been chipping away at compiling a GEC production database and figured I would ask if anyone knows of one already? It sure would save me a lot of time :)
Since I am taking a statistics class right now I thought it would be fun to play with the numbers a little bit. One thing that occurred to me is that I should be able to make some predictions about the probability of future releases :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It might also be interesting to see # of knives or patterns by year or material or however else you want to slice it up. The database also makes it really easy to answer questions that come up here...like which knives had a certain cover material or which were SFOs and what dealer's were they...etc.
Anyway, I'll keep at it but if anyone is aware of a database that already exists I would much appreciate it!
It's on GEC's website, by year, by pattern, and by cover material.

Thanks guys I am aware of the web interface but they must have a database somewhere :) I am trying to compile all of that information.
It is a lot of typing or manipulating PDF files otherwise.
I guess I could ask Chris or someone at GEC just not sure if they'd be willing to provide that. (edit - sent Chris a request can't hurt to ask)

Last edited:
Thanks guys I am aware of the web interface but they must have a database somewhere :) I am trying to compile all of that information.
It is a lot of typing or manipulating PDF files otherwise.
I guess I could ask Chris or someone at GEC just not sure if they'd be willing to provide that. (edit - sent Chris a request can't hurt to ask)

I can assure you that GEC has no such database.

It's on GEC's website, by year, by pattern, and by cover material.

It is, but there is also the problem that the totals aren’t 100% complete, especially the SFO’s in the earlier years.

I heard from another dealer in the past that the totals were written down on paper when completed and that some slipped through the cracks. I can attest to that fact, simply because I own several GEC knives that aren’t on the lists, and furthermore, I asked Chris directly about one in particular several years back. She initially replied that the knife didn’t exist, but it does, and it’s her handwriting on the cap!

This is the stuff that really makes collecting GEC fun!

I would like to see the numbers crunched, but I’d be skeptical of the predictions made in regards to what will be built in the future. Bill Howard doesn’t always pick what will be overwhelmingly popular.

It is, but there is also the problem that the totals aren’t 100% complete, especially the SFO’s in the earlier years.

I heard from another dealer in the past that the totals were written down on paper when completed and that some slipped through the cracks. I can attest to that fact, simply because I own several GEC knives that aren’t on the lists, and furthermore, I asked Chris directly about one in particular several years back. She initially replied that the knife didn’t exist, but it does, and it’s her handwriting on the cap!

This is the stuff that really makes collecting GEC fun!

I would like to see the numbers crunched, but I’d be skeptical of the predictions made in regards to what will be built in the future. Bill Howard doesn’t always pick what will be overwhelmingly popular.
I know. I've had several that aren't on the lists. I was just pointing him in the direction of the known numbers. I'm not sure if GEC could accurately account for every piece they've made.

Thanks Mike. I suppose Chris is going to get a good chuckle out of my request then :)

I totally understand that the production totals are not 100% accurate and there could be missing data there. Whatever I do in the way of probability calculations will include some margin of error for sure. I don't claim to predict what Bill is going to decide by any stretch of the imagination but some interesting trends may come to light when the numbers are crunched. In the end I may end up with a tool that could calculate the probability of a given knife release.
I'm actually kind of excited now to learn I may put together the first GEC database.

Last edited:
Back