Lets talk GEC!

Put me down as another one who's really interested to see how this data shapes up. Already it's fascinating to see how quickly production ramped up in the early years.

:D
Data can be quite useful...just ask Google or Facebook :)
Seriously though, there is a lot of good info in the database. I can slice it up in many ways that might be interesting: patterns by SFO, materials by SFO, totals by SFO, totals by material, unique pattern count, etc.

You will probably see the DLT SFOs up there really soon...maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

I have been chipping away at compiling a GEC production database and figured I would ask if anyone knows of one already? It sure would save me a lot of time :)
Since I am taking a statistics class right now I thought it would be fun to play with the numbers a little bit. One thing that occurred to me is that I should be able to make some predictions about the probability of future releases :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It might also be interesting to see # of knives or patterns by year or material or however else you want to slice it up. The database also makes it really easy to answer questions that come up here...like which knives had a certain cover material or which were SFOs and what dealer's were they...etc.
Anyway, I'll keep at it but if anyone is aware of a database that already exists I would much appreciate it!

This thread might give you some ideas..

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-if-they-have-half-stops-and-lengths.1091784/

Put me down as another one who's really interested to see how this data shapes up. Already it's fascinating to see how quickly production ramped up in the early years.

I don't have everything done yet...but this provides a trend:
Total Knife Production (2006) = 1435 pcs
Total Knife Production (2010) = 12,909 pcs
Total Knife Production (2017) = 30,879 pcs

Thanks! I can definitely add more attributes to the database as I progress. Half stop or not might be interesting to include.

Another interesting fact...there were more SFOs (10,748) produced in 2017 than standard release Northfields (7135) or Tidioutes (9401).
Darren,
This is a really cool project. What database and front end are you using? Have you thought about putting your code up on Gitlab or somewhere so others can contribute?

The historical data will be fascinating, but as for predicting what Bill's gonna produce next, good luck! To make that kind of prediction, you'd have to shake a magic 8-ball, read some tea leaves...

Lee

L lee4 at this point I am just getting everything into database format and will use Excel for the pretty plots and graphics. For the statistical calculations I will be using StatCrunch. I really don't intend to write any code for this but someone could definitely take the database and create a pretty neat GUI or interface of some kind. I really haven't thought too much about what I'll do with the database (logistically) once I'm done. I just know this is taking me a lot of effort :)
There is no way to predict what Bill is going to produce next with 100% certainty but StatCrunch will tell me the probability of a given release based on how many samples it has to work with...which in this case is many thousands of samples. So it might be fun to try and make predictions and see how they pan out. Otherwise, I am most interested in the quick references I will have access to.

L lee4 at this point I am just getting everything into database format and will use Excel for the pretty plots and graphics. For the statistical calculations I will be using StatCrunch. I really don't intend to write any code for this but someone could definitely take the database and create a pretty neat GUI or interface of some kind. I really haven't thought too much about what I'll do with the database (logistically) once I'm done. I just know this is taking me a lot of effort :)
There is no way to predict what Bill is going to produce next with 100% certainty but StatCrunch will tell me the probability of a given release based on how many samples it has to work with...which in this case is many thousands of samples. So it might be fun to try and make predictions and see how they pan out. Otherwise, I am most interested in the quick references I will have access to.

I’m pretty convinced someone from GEC frequents this forum, so I like to think Bill’s getting a chuckle out of this.

I really hope so! I don't think Chris has stopped laughing enough to respond to my initial question asking if they had a database :) And make no mistake this is all in good fun :thumbsup:

Where are the SFO Schrade Fire and Ice Trappers built on both the #73 frame and #23 frame in 2007 in your first chart? There are other omissions also. Will you be listing Grandma's Kitchen Floor for a cover choicewhen you get to covers?

Good luck with your endevor.
Thanks Ed :)
I only have the info from the production totals PDFs on the GEC website. For the 2007 totals, there is no mention of SFOs so I will probably have to figure out the "Factory Exclusives" perhaps those are the SFOs. Anything missing from their site will be missing from my initial database so it is likely I will have to do additional research if I want to have everything in there. I am just trying to get something done so I can use it for my class before it is over. After class is done, I can start filling in the blanks. I already have many questions to ask based on errors(?) I've seen in the production info.
And yes, I have seen Grandma's Kitchen Floor a few times so far :thumbsup: At this point in my effort, I have identified ~500 different cover materials (based on description). It has been an educating experience and really widened the range of cool GECs I know to look for.

Thanks Ed :)
I only have the info from the production totals PDFs on the GEC website. For the 2007 totals, there is no mention of SFOs so I will probably have to figure out the "Factory Exclusives" perhaps those are the SFOs. Anything missing from their site will be missing from my initial database so it is likely I will have to do additional research if I want to have everything in there. I am just trying to get something done so I can use it for my class before it is over. After class is done, I can start filling in the blanks. I already have many questions to ask based on errors(?) I've seen in the production info.
And yes, I have seen Grandma's Kitchen Floor a few times so far :thumbsup: At this point in my effort, I have identified ~500 different cover materials (based on description). It has been an educating experience and really widened the range of cool GECs I know to look for.

The good news about SFO’s like the Schrade is they usually have a gigantic “1 OF 200” etched on the backside of the blade.

Back