1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Two posts have been moved offline. Also moved two posts containing quotes from same.
    Keep the cursing out of here, please, along with any political comments. Questions? Read the guidelines.

Edited to add: if you want to complain about a dealer, manufacturer, bad exchange deal etc, Feedback in the Exchange area is the place to do it.

2. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't think this is completely accurate. They rarely stabilize.

Onearmbladenut and Travman like this.
  3. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Really?

Non-hardwood?

I think I recall you stating the tiger maple was stabilized.

4. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    The Tiger Maple was mine and I sent it in for stabilization. They have stabilized in the past, but I don't recall the last wood they actually stabilized.

5. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Interesting

6. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    There was a discussion about stabilized wood awhile back . I think some people confused stable for stabilized. "Stabilized "is resin impregnated and "stable" is properly dried or cured , no additives . Later being either air dried or kiln dried

meako, t.willy and Matt Bernier like this.
  7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    When we talk resin impregnated wood, I think the term we're looking for is "stamina wood", made famous under the brand name of Dymondwood. Layers of birch, impregnated with resin. Very tough stuff. Basically the wood version of micarta.

8. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Learn something every day here.

Thanks guys.

meako likes this.
  9. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    Most of my Great Eastern Cutlery knives have been purchased from online dealers. I am too new here to have bought one from this forum. I have bought a few used, or pre-owned Great Eastern Cutlery knives with good luck. I’ve found that if there is a pattern I really want that is off the dealer shelves, I can, with patience, find one at a fair price. So, I really have no complaints about Great Eastern Cutlery’s release schedules.

10. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    Not I. Dymondwood is that nasty mixed color mess by stacking different colored wood. Stabilized is vacuum impregnating wood with a resin mix to strengthen it and make it easier to work with.

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  12. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    The light colored one in this photo is stabilized black ash burl
    2.jpg
    These three are stabilized madrone, walnut and redwood burls
    best.jpg
    This is stabilized and dyed curly mango
    momsdone.jpg

And since this is a GEC thread, my GEC
    FullSizeR2.jpg

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
  14. waverave

waverave Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I heard Chris Tucker has/had been out for a while...was wondering if anyone has some info? I hope she is ok.

15. MCar

MCar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I sure wish we'd see some 23s in the next year or two from our great cutlery company in the east. I'm also dying for the Slipjoint version of the 83! I assume it's coming, one of these years.

[​IMG]

meako, L.H.S, Dschal and 10 others like this.
  16. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    So I really have no need for a carbon steel fixed blade, but those autumn gold marrow bone hunters sure are something special.

17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Yes Please!

Onearmbladenut and MCar like this.
  18. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2012
    +1!

Onearmbladenut, MCar and JohnDF like this.
  19. rdg

rdg

Oct 30, 2002
    The 23's are my favorites! Would love to see a new run of them!!!
    Bob

Onearmbladenut and MCar like this.
  20. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I don't know, but GEC announced they won't be at Blade due to unfortunate events, so I was hoping to find clarification and *good news* about everyone's okay-ness here...