Lets talk GEC!

Being the contrarian that I am I must point out the zulu. All the advantages of a spear, but with a fine point.

I appreciate contrarians because they at least make a cordial discussion interesting. I’m not really sure the distinction between a Zulu and a spear- if I was going to define that blade I would call it a subsection of spear points. In the same way a “muskrat” or “California” clip is a subtype if clip. The fine tip is more fine than some- like my huckleberry boys knife, for instance, but still has a broader angle at the tip than any clip. It’s an improvement and I like it a lot, but I still need the tight cutting radius that a clip point can provide. I’ll still reiterate that I’m sure most people can’t tell a huge functional difference, and this only matters to me for the sake of friendly discussion and a general love of knives

I see so many references to spreading peanut butter with pocket knives. If you don't mind me asking, do y'all carry jars of peanut butter around when you are out and about or not have kitchen knives at home?

Haha, I was thinking this same thing, but didn’t want to ask. I get called out by my wife for pulling out my pocket knife to open a bag of chips or candy bar or other equally easy-to-open package. My response is, “what do I look like, a barbarian?” Of course I do it because I love to use my very fine and very sharp pocket cutlery. I think this might by our peanut butter friend’s motivation.

I appreciate contrarians because they at least make a cordial discussion interesting. I’m not really sure the distinction between a Zulu and a spear- if I was going to define that blade I would call it a subsection of spear points. In the same way a “muskrat” or “California” clip is a subtype if clip. The fine tip is more fine than some- like my huckleberry boys knife, for instance, but still has a broader angle at the tip than any clip. It’s an improvement and I like it a lot, but I still need the tight cutting radius that a clip point can provide. I’ll still reiterate that I’m sure most people can’t tell a huge functional difference, and this only matters to me for the sake of friendly discussion and a general love of knives

Haha, I was thinking this same thing, but didn’t want to ask. I get called out by my wife for pulling out my pocket knife to open a bag of chips or candy bar or other equally easy-to-open package. My response is, “what do I look like, a barbarian?” Of course I do it because I love to use my very fine and very sharp pocket cutlery. I think this might by our peanut butter friend’s motivation.

I do the same, even use that same response. In all seriousness, I don’t typically use my pocket knives for food. I can’t say never, but it’s only been in the rare situation when no other option was available. With that in mind, I can’t foresee needing to spread peanut butter.

In all seriousness, I don’t typically use my pocket knives for food. I can’t say never, but it’s only been in the rare situation when no other option was available.

I think I’d read somewhere that the original pocket cutlery had something to do with etiquette in Europe, historically. Something about knives at dinner gatherings being traditionally brought by the individual, and that cutlery was foldable. So I think yeah, most of the time a kitchen knife is more practical. And yeah, I could eat my apples at work without cutting them... but I DID happen to bring my pocket cutlery. Kinda nice to throw back to its original intention.

I’ll see if I can’t rediscover my source and bone up on it.

I do have an Opinel slim (stainless) folding knife I keep at work to cut my apples.

I have a Shun folding steak knife I will take out to eat, if I’m going to have steak.

My RFP knife, just very rarely has been needed for foodstuff and never for peanut butter.

I see so many references to spreading peanut butter with pocket knives. If you don't mind me asking, do y'all carry jars of peanut butter around when you are out and about or not have kitchen knives at home?

I've never spread peanut butter with my pocket knife, but it's a food that everyone is familiar with and most eat often so it makes for a good example. I have scooped canned oysters, herring, sardines, egg salad, tuna salad, various cheese spreads, olive spreads, olives, pickles, peppers, and other random stuff with my knife when I'm out hiking in the woods. Usually it goes onto bread or some sort of cracker, but sometimes I've eaten it right off the knife blade. An Elephant Toe works really well. :)

I've never spread peanut butter with my pocket knife, but it's a food that everyone is familiar with and most eat often so it makes for a good example. I have scooped canned oysters, herring, sardines, egg salad, tuna salad, various cheese spreads, olive spreads, olives, pickles, peppers, and other random stuff with my knife when I'm out hiking in the woods. Usually it goes onto bread or some sort of cracker, but sometimes I've eaten it right off the knife blade. An Elephant Toe works really well. :)
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I usually just have a zip lock baggie of trail mix, so I might just be the odd duck here.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I usually just have a zip lock baggie of trail mix, so I might just be the odd duck here.

I'll take trail mix as a snack, but not as lunch. We go out all day and it's nice to have variety. If I'm only out for three or four hours, I'm generally too lazy to bother with food. I know for sure that makes me the odd duck these days. I sometimes hike with guy who raised kids. Apparently kids snack nonstop. He'll bring 2000 calories worth of chips and M&Ms along on a two-hour hike. Oh, and a bag of carrots because he eats such a healthy diet. :rolleyes:

I'll take trail mix as a snack, but not as lunch. We go out all day and it's nice to have variety. If I'm only out for three or four hours, I'm generally too lazy to bother with food. I know for sure that makes me the odd duck these days. I sometimes hike with guy who raised kids. Apparently kids snack nonstop. He'll bring 2000 calories worth of chips and M&Ms along on a two-hour hike. Oh, and a bag of carrots because he eats such a healthy diet. :rolleyes:

Maybe he likes variety as well? o_O

Lol! Good one.
Probably something single guys do, at least at home. Setting is key. I know I'd get flak from my wife if I used my pocket knife for making a sandwich at home. But on a jobsite at lunch, no problem.

Back