Lets talk GEC!

That is partly why I prefer knives without half stop (#35, #56, #66...). I feel like that hump on the tang when closing from half stop to closed gives the blade some extra speed/snap, thus making the blade rap more likely to occur.

Other reason being that I have cut myself 2-3 times already just because of that 'safety feature'.

I feel like that hump on the tang when closing from half stop to closed gives the blade some extra speed/snap, thus making the blade rap more likely to occur.
Other reason being that I have cut myself 2-3 times already just because of that 'safety feature'.

There’s a number of things at play when it comes to blade excursion. Things like the moment of inertia of the blade, the strength of the spring, the force applied by the spring over the motion of the cam (square or rounded), location of the kick in the closed position relative to the spring pin and the force applied to start the blade into motion.

I understand what you think about the half stop- the right angle on the cam gives it a little more oomph, but depending on all of the above you might find that the half stop kills the momentum of the blade midway through travel. That might help prevent blade rap.

Engineering-wise, it’s a simple mechanism and this could easily be solved using CAD programs, or careful hand calculations using conservative estimates. From a practical stand point it would probably be easier just to assume 2x blade relief in the wells.

There’s other possible fixes: really light and small blades or very strong springs, but without consideration of the other pieces of the puzzle those fixes might not guarantee success.

Side question: how do you cut yourself due to the half stop? Im not saying that I think it’s a huge safety feature, but I’m surprised it makes the knife more dangerous for you.

I find half stops more dangerous as well. When you overcome the tang's hard angle any slip of grip will cause the blade to jump closed and can nip you. It's happened to me as well, and NEVER with a cam tang. Plus, I've never had a knife of either type close on me accidentally while in use. I've even field dressed deer with a slipjoint and never had it close on me, and some of that work is blind; so I see NO reason for half stops.

I’m sure all you guys are pros with handling knives so you might have a legitimate concern. I just want to put it out there that I’ve never had a knife cut me and been able to blame the construction of the knife.

A properly handled knife isn’t likely to unexpectedly shut on you, I agree! But also to that end a closing knife can’t cut fingers that are not in the blade path.

And I’ve cut myself bunches, so I’m not writing this from a high horse. Just three weeks ago I accidentally dropped my 93 and put a really impressive puncture in the base of my thumb.

It’s lead me to the expectation that every knife I own will draw my blood eventually- but it will probably be my own fault.

Good lord these are sexy! I have an osage 29 on the way but might have to try to grab one of these too...but I never buy from M&G because of their pricing. Does anyone have an idea of how these might be priced?

IMG_9102.jpg

I find half stops more dangerous as well. When you overcome the tang's hard angle any slip of grip will cause the blade to jump closed and can nip you. It's happened to me as well, and NEVER with a cam tang. Plus, I've never had a knife of either type close on me accidentally while in use. I've even field dressed deer with a slipjoint and never had it close on me, and some of that work is blind; so I see NO reason for half stops.

The worst cut with a slipjoint I've had was from opening a knife (GEC made #23 Bradford Cutlery Single Shot Trapper) while my hands were wet. When it hit the half stop, my nail and thumb slipped off the nick and sliced along the edge.

I'm not saying I don't like half stops, but I don't think they make the knife significantly safer. Maybe a 3/4 the way open stop would make the knife safer? haha idk

Good lord these are sexy! I have an osage 29 on the way but might have to try to grab one of these too...but I never buy from M&G because of their pricing. Does anyone have an idea of how these might be priced?

IMG_9102.jpg
The ebony with the federal shield does look incredible. I can't see these being listed any cheaper than their other knives, so I'm guessing $150-165 range. I know I'll be tempted once they drop.

Holy moly, $150. Gorgeous? Absolutely. Expensive? Definitely.

As it is I’m nervous about what the #92s are going to go for. I’ve reserved my Tidioute so I’m definitely going to get one... I’m just wondering how long my wife is going to glare at me.

I’m sure all you guys are pros with handling knives so you might have a legitimate concern. I just want to put it out there that I’ve never had a knife cut me and been able to blame the construction of the knife. The worst I've ever cut myself was with a fixed blade knife.

A properly handled knife isn’t likely to unexpectedly shut on you, I agree! But also to that end a closing knife can’t cut fingers that are not in the blade path.

And I’ve cut myself bunches, so I’m not writing this from a high horse. Just three weeks ago I accidentally dropped my 93 and put a really impressive puncture in the base of my thumb.

It’s lead me to the expectation that every knife I own will draw my blood eventually- but it will probably be my own fault.
Well stated. I've cut myself several times before, I'm sure we all have. But it was always through my own stupidity and not the fault of the knife's features.

As it is I’m nervous about what the #92s are going to go for. I’ve reserved my Tidioute so I’m definitely going to get one... I’m just wondering how long my wife is going to glare at me.
I know we are not really supposed to talk about prices, but it does seem as though GEC's prices are increasing, and the SFOs are reaching flipper prices at retail. I'm not complaining, it is what it is and if you want that knife you'll pay the prices.

Last edited:
I know we are not really supposed to talk about prices, but it does seem as though GEC's prices are increasing, and the SFOs are reaching flipper prices at retail. I'm not complaining, it is what it is and if you want that knife you'll pay the prices.
Agreed. On the plus side, it gives people like myself enough pause to actually think about how much I really want the knife. In most cases it turns out I don't really want it that bad if I have to think about it.

I've been getting lots of prolonged glares lately as well. Having 3 - 92s reserved isn't likely to help that. Since the 92s were announced I did decide to pass on the 29s and so far gave been able to stick to it.

I've been getting lots of prolonged glares lately as well. Having 3 - 92s reserved isn't likely to help that. Since the 92s were announced I did decide to pass on the 29s and so far gave been able to stick to it.

It seems like you and I are similar in this respect: it’s been hard letting these gorgeous 29’s slip through my fingers. Knowing the 92’s were an option helped me to sort out my feelings about the punch. I’ve decided that if the punch had been stainless and the others in 1095 I would have gone for it. I was in love with the clip and that gloriously slender and long sheepsfoot, but I just imaged the punch rusting shut from lack of use and proper maintenance.

The spear/coping combo and that gorgeously awkward-looking handle shape had me at “hello”. Something about it just screams 1890’s to me.

Looks like a slender package, too. Looking forward to whittling whimsies this fall with that sucker.

Forgive me for posting so much, but it helps me quell the impatience I feel at getting my 7th GEC! It scratches the itch.

I just want to put it out there that I’ve never had a knife cut me and been able to blame the construction of the knife.

I never said I blamed the construction, it was still my fault for mishandling the knife. I believe half stops are more dangerous because once mishandled, the blade has an impetus of its own that a cam tang does not. Plus, a cam tang is smoother in its operation, thus less likely to slip.

The ebony with the federal shield does look incredible. I can't see these being listed any cheaper than their other knives, so I'm guessing $150-165 range. I know I'll be tempted once they drop.
I'll be mighty tempted as well, they look fantastic. I suspect you are correct and they will be priced to stay in stock for at least a little while.

I'm still shocked you can get a Kansas Cane Cutter! That is one sweet knife, with awesome bone and shield.

That sudden judder on a strongly sprung half-stop knife is often an accident in the making and no amount of careful handling can always prevent an injury. Alright, I'm a bit biased as I like the smooth open close of a knife without half-stops ;) They would not prevent me from buying a knife but I prefer a knife without them :D

Back