1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    PM incoming...

L.H.S likes this.
  2. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Doesn't it look familiar?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It sure does!
    [​IMG]

3. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Both of my knives are 2019’s, and the 92 I’ve had for less than a week and carried once. I do appreciate your experience!

Oh man... uncentered like it was before? That sure is a snail-like warranty fulfillment.

4. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Yea pretty uncentered, not touching the liners like before. I no longer send in knives for warranty work. If a knife is new and has a problem, I send it back. If it’s used and develops a issue, I gift it to a friend or family member. I have a ton of GEC knives and have only came across a few with issues. GEC is still my go to for traditional knives!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    No offence taken. ;)

6. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    You could of bought Fiebing's leather dye and popped the bone. Red , dark red , ox blood , maroon , or burgundy . I pop my GEC knives all the time to get them the color that I want. Navy blue dye turns natural canvas micarta into midnight canvas blue micarta. "looks black" I love it ! My #12 toothpick dark chestnut came in way too light. I stuck a Q-tip in black leather dye. I used another Q-tip to gently/lightly absorb the dye. I lightly applied the dye on my #12 knife and my #43 Frontier bone knife. That #43 knife was horrible ugly. The #43 is beautiful now. I forgot about my light aqua camel bone #12. It is Navy Blue with a aqua streak , now !

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Let's see some pics please

8. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Before and After pics would really be great...

9. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Great... now not only has Joan Howard not given me any semblance of satisfactory responses for my warranty since Wednesday morning of last week, now the factory is shut down until October 7th, the final day of my grace period for returning my #92.

What do you guys think? I love my #92 but the blade slapping into the blade well when I reach for it in my pocket is something I can’t live with. Return it? Or send it to GEC (and maybe get it back by 2029 at this rate.)?

10. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Return it.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  11. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Ya return it.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  12. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Well since this isn't the good, the bad, the ugly page.

I recieved my 82 PS in elderberry today. Quite nice. Less saturation on the dye than the others, resulting in a very red berry color. I like it shows the variety when dealing with natural materials.

13. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    It has been a few days since any new production photos :) Usually that means they are working on secretive SFOs (or Northwoods). Wonder what's up?:rolleyes:

Fox79 and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  14. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Do they ever take a break? Seems like they've been working at a frantic pace

How many patterns do they usually produce in a year?

15. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    They are on their fall break this week.

16. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    They do. Shutdown for a week coming up. Might have something to do with lack of photo updates.

17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Well deserved, I say!

cbr1000 and mbkr like this.
  18. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    A well deserved break indeed! @Ron Sabbagh here is patterns by year...
    GEC_Database_Dashboard_01.21.19_01.jpg

19. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Well rested staff is a happy staff that makes good knives.

20. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    Man, I am really itching for some kind of updates. I'd love to know what GEC has in mind for after the 86s.

Any guesses out there?

shadowram and AnW like this.