Lets talk GEC!

Missing the white bone #93 Lambfoot given by Bill to @waynorth at the Rendezvous, but if I remember correclty there were 27.

Also missing the white bone #86s.

GEC missed quite a few releases on their production totals:

Northfield 861219 Sambar Stag
Northfield 922219 Antique Goldenrod Camel Bone
Northfield 922219 Sambar Stag

Just among the ones I bought. If any of you GEC insiders can find these missing totals, please post them!

Those ones are even normal production! But I suppose they've missed some in the past.

The topic of weight is often brought up.... So, for the good of the order, I got my handy dandy little scale out and checked my Oilfield 86's incl the CC SFO and the 2019 Forum Knife.... Below are my findings..... One point of clarification; Brass has a higher specific gravity than steel... So if all components are equally sized, the steel knife will weigh less than the one with brass.

JSR SFO 4.24 oz.
Barry SFO (2) 3.86 & 3.84 oz.
CC SFO 4.01 oz.
White Bone 4.29 oz.
Stag (2) 4.18 & 4.25 oz.
Micarta 4.01 oz.
Sucker Wood (2) 3.83 & 3.83 oz.
Oily Creek (2) 4.19 & 4.25 oz.
Acrylic 3.99 oz.
Jigged Bone 4.31 oz.
2019 Forum Knife 2.90 oz.View attachment 1262574 View attachment 1262575 View attachment 1262576

What a collection! Makes me think I should get the tortoise acrylic.

I have tried carving with bellied blades and the advantage of straight blade to me is the force you can transfer to the tip without having to turn or bend your wrist.
I agree a purpose built tool like a spoon carving knife or a gouge is necessary when doing a spoon or bowl.
I mostly carve basswood so the blade do not dull as easy. As a matter of fact I have never put my carving knives on a stone, I just strop them very often. What I will do with this knife is put two different angles on the short blades one for harder wood one for softer.
You know most people have some sort of grail hard to find knife. For me my grail is to find the perfect carving pocket knife. That has been my goal for a couple of years now. Who knows this might be it.

This might just be a carver thing, but you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of this. I am also looking for that grail pocket knife that doubles as a really good carver. I keep coming back to the same ideas, but I don’t if I’ll ever see my ideas built.

View attachment 1262002 View attachment 1262003 View attachment 1262001

The Ebony Heartland Clip SFO by the Apostle P is a great knife. Does anyone know why he has not done another SFO? If I remember correctly, he got into a big fight with some Forum members over something. Maybe he got fed up and decided not to do it again. What a shame.

Those Oregon Collectors can also design a great knife. I am anxious to see their 23 design, but this 43 Oregon Trapper is about as large as I like to go.

Maybe because he focuses on his Bark River Gunny Sidekick. I know he actually drives there and has significant hands on "live" input. Maybe he has more flexibility in that regard than with GEC. Just a speculation, of course.

Looks like the #62 sports a single spring and possibly an asymmetrical grind on the main wharnecliffe, after the fashion of the #35 clip point we saw in 2017. It doesn’t appear to be the kinked main we saw in the #82 possum skinner.

I’m a fan of the asymmetrical grind solution for pen knife style configurations. It somehow just seems more sophisticated than “bend it until it clears”.

pen knife enthusiasts, please weigh in.

IMO as a carving knife? (For what it is intended) very useful. As an EDC? Meh, not so much.
I get the blade shapes for carving and half the reason I love this but my question would be more in regards to the duplicated short blade but I see you answer it later in this post...
What I will do with this knife is put two different angles on the short blades one for harder wood one for softer.

My only hang up left is my strong personal preference for stainless steels and how much one of these cuts into my wallet.

My only hang up left is my strong personal preference for stainless steels and how much one of these cuts into my wallet.

I like stainless, too. It some ways I miss the simplicity of not having to think about that kind of blade maintenance, but my dedicated carvers rarely have problems with rust.

I’m slowly warming up to the three wharnecliffe blade concept, though. Too bad it’s not a more pedestrian pattern shape though. This would lend itself well to a bow tie or cigar pattern.

The topic of weight is often brought up.... So, for the good of the order, I got my handy dandy little scale out and checked my Oilfield 86's incl the CC SFO and the 2019 Forum Knife.... Below are my findings..... One point of clarification; Brass has a higher specific gravity than steel... So if all components are equally sized, the steel knife will weigh less than the one with brass.

JSR SFO 4.24 oz.
Barry SFO (2) 3.86 & 3.84 oz.
CC SFO 4.01 oz.
White Bone 4.29 oz.
Stag (2) 4.18 & 4.25 oz.
Micarta 4.01 oz.
Sucker Wood (2) 3.83 & 3.83 oz.
Oily Creek (2) 4.19 & 4.25 oz.
Acrylic 3.99 oz.
Jigged Bone 4.31 oz.
2019 Forum Knife 2.90 oz.View attachment 1262574 View attachment 1262575 View attachment 1262576
Thanks for this. I had just assumed steel was heavier than brass. Good to know. I was comparing that Gunstock Jack Bloodwood SFO 86 to the Waynorth version. I’ll have to get out my scale that we use to measure the Cub Scout Pinewood derby cars.

Your measurements do so show that bone covered knives are heavier than wood covered knives.

Your measurements do so show that bone covered knives are heavier than wood covered knives.

makes sense.
steel: 0.280 and 0.291 lbm/in^3
brass: 0.303 to 0.315 lbm/in^3
bone: ~0.0668 lbm/in^3
Lignum Vitae wood: ~0.0480 lbm/in^3

Lignum Vitae is one, if not the, densest woods in the world just for a worst case scenario.

bone is about 39% heavier than wood and brass is about 8% heavier than steel.

therefore the lightest knife would be the all steel and wood construction of those considered here.

View attachment 1262002 View attachment 1262003 View attachment 1262001

The Ebony Heartland Clip SFO by the Apostle P is a great knife. Does anyone know why he has not done another SFO? If I remember correctly, he got into a big fight with some Forum members over something. Maybe he got fed up and decided not to do it again. What a shame.

Those Oregon Collectors can also design a great knife. I am anxious to see their 23 design, but this 43 Oregon Trapper is about as large as I like to go.

I think it was mocked up like a Lannys clip with the swedge cut closer to the nailnick. I think that was the issue. I had one and regret trading it. It was a great knife. Would love to see another SFO from him.

That #23 looks awesome. Need to get my grubby hands on one.

Maybe because he focuses on his Bark River Gunny Sidekick. I know he actually drives there and has significant hands on "live" input. Maybe he has more flexibility in that regard than with GEC. Just a speculation, of course.

The way SFOs work now - Rob can't just decide, "I want to do a Heartland run" and then order it from GEC. GEC would decide to run 74 Stallions, and then order him the opportunity to do a run if he wanted. Someone really close to GEC like Charlie or Mike may get some sway in the production schedule every once in a while, but we've only seen the one run probably because that's the last time they ran Stallions.

Also, Leslie - I want that knife :cool::D

7k206No.jpg

Whittling away time with my Dixie waiting on the 62.

Anyone have experience with vigilance trading ?
They're listed on gec's distributor page but they seem pretty new?

That Ebony SFO is a nice knife - essentially a 74 Northfield Stallion. GEC made some Tidioutes in Ebony as well...really wish I picked up one of those! I did manage to end up with a Cocobolo NF, and a Tidioute Spring Green Bone. Both keepers! :thumbsup:

oIZgLbx.jpg

4sUFDvY.jpg

That Ebony SFO is a nice knife - essentially a 74 Northfield Stallion. GEC made some Tidioutes in Ebony as well...really wish I picked up one of those! I did manage to end up with a Cocobolo NF, and a Tidioute Spring Green Bone. Both keepers! :thumbsup:

oIZgLbx.jpg

4sUFDvY.jpg

I want a 74, definitely on my list.

Back