Lets talk GEC!

Honest question here, not trying to be a jerk. Are you a touch OCD?

To call me OCD might actually be more offensive to those who are diagnosed OCD, but fair question. I don’t believe I am, as sharpening isn’t a compulsion. For instance I have knives that never get used that were given to me or inherited that I’ve never put a good edge on.

just a quick note on terms here- I do consider stropping to be a variety of sharpening- it is edge alignment, but it also removes a small amount of metal.

my SAK is currently pretty mangled and I’m okay with it. It’s purpose is to be that multi functional emergency tool that I don’t mind abusing a little.

I will say that I like the idea of things. I like the idea of a knife that won’t quickly get a permanently proud point, even if quickly means 10 years. I once cut myself on the proud point of a camillus scout knife just reaching into my pocket, so perhaps it’s made me more aware of the safety aspect of a well buried tip.

maybe I just need to relax my definition of sharp. For some folks cutting an apple means it’s sharp. For me, sharp is peeling onion skin thick slivers of wood and leaving a pristine, smooth surface.

It could also be that phenomenon that happens when someone puts time and energy to make something perfect, then baby’s it because they don’t want to undo all the effort. I also really enjoy whittling (mostly red oak lately), which is where I really notice a less-than-stellar edge. My kitchen knife has some dings in the edge I don’t sharpen out because I don’t notice a change in performance as I’m cutting up carrots.

back to my original question- seems like a lot of people do what I do, strop the knife if you used it that day, but there’s a more practical bunch out there that seems to use the knife until they just get around to putting the edge back on.

I will admit I get immense satisfaction when someone tests the edge and marvels at its sharpness.

To call me OCD might actually be more offensive to those who are diagnosed OCD, but fair question. I don’t believe I am, as sharpening isn’t a compulsion. For instance I have knives that never get used that were given to me or inherited that I’ve never put a good edge on.

just a quick note on terms here- I do consider stropping to be a variety of sharpening- it is edge alignment, but it also removes a small amount of metal.

my SAK is currently pretty mangled and I’m okay with it. It’s purpose is to be that multi functional emergency tool that I don’t mind abusing a little.

I will say that I like the idea of things. I like the idea of a knife that won’t quickly get a permanently proud point, even if quickly means 10 years. I once cut myself on the proud point of a camillus scout knife just reaching into my pocket, so perhaps it’s made me more aware of the safety aspect of a well buried tip.

maybe I just need to relax my definition of sharp. For some folks cutting an apple means it’s sharp. For me, sharp is peeling onion skin thick slivers of wood and leaving a pristine, smooth surface.

It could also be that phenomenon that happens when someone puts time and energy to make something perfect, then baby’s it because they don’t want to undo all the effort. I also really enjoy whittling (mostly red oak lately), which is where I really notice a less-than-stellar edge. My kitchen knife has some dings in the edge I don’t sharpen out because I don’t notice a change in performance as I’m cutting up carrots.

back to my original question- seems like a lot of people do what I do, strop the knife if you used it that day, but there’s a more practical bunch out there that seems to use the knife until they just get around to putting the edge back on.

I will admit I get immense satisfaction when someone tests the edge and marvels at its sharpness.
If you are carving oak you can't keep you edge sharp enough.
Stropping has become a nightly habit a form of relaxing.

On my GECs, if it’s going to be a user, I sharpen it once on my KME. I consider “a” knife to be “my” knife once I put my edge on it. After that it’s just maintenance which usually means stropping once a week. I’m in an office, not on a farm.
Fixed blades sometimes need a touch up on a stone. Stropping doesn’t generally get me where I need to be after cleaning hogs. They tear up blades as bad as they do crops.
Maybe I should go for some of that super steel on my hunting knives. :D

3B17A1E8-5949-45FB-8DD7-06A1F2FAC715.jpeg

Would anyone else be interested if GEC made a sloyd knife? My wife got me my first sloyd for Christmas made by Flexcut. I’ve been learning the techniques and I must say, it’s very effective. A very handy tool that makes great finishing cuts, carving in the round, and works well for hogging off a bunch of wood fast. If GEC made a full tang version I’d buy one for sure.

Not me. GEC's core competence is slipjoints, made the old fashioned way. They're best in class. Their fixed blades OTOH are nothing special.

You want a sloyd? Check out the Mora 106/120/122. $25 gets you a tool that is used by world class carvers and woodworkers. You can spend more, but you don't need to. A Mora won't hold you back.

Absolutely no need for a sloyd knife to have a full exposed tang. If anything, such a design would be counterproductive. The unnecessary and excess weight would fatigue your hand faster during long carving sessions.

kamagong kamagong lawdy, I think that’s about as close as it comes to telling me to go defecate in my hat without actually saying it. 4 square inches of 1/8 inch 1095 steel stock weighs ~2.3 ounces, or the weight of about 26 pennies... and that’s more metal than a full tang would need. You’re making me feel pretty manly here, because I can hold 26 pennies all day long. Easily worth the beautiful and rugged aesthetic of a full tang, not to mention the peace of mind.

Lol...you did ask if anyone was interested. I shared my thoughts.
I’ll take that as a “not interested, thanks for the consideration”.

you’re not wrong about GEC doing slip joints well. No argument there.

Not me. GEC's core competence is slipjoints, made the old fashioned way. They're best in class. Their fixed blades OTOH are nothing special.

You want a sloyd? Check out the Mora 106/120/122. $25 gets you a tool that is used by world class carvers and woodworkers. You can spend more, but you don't need to. A Mora won't hold you back.

Absolutely no need for a sloyd knife to have a full exposed tang. If anything, such a design would be counterproductive. The unnecessary and excess weight would fatigue your hand faster during long carving sessions.

I do agree. The Mora 106 is, in its category, perfect. The core of the laminated steel is the european equivalent of O1. It takes a very fine edge, holds it very well; it may occur some micro chipping at making concave cuts but i don't know any sloyd made of a tougher steel like 3V. It's a very comfortable light weight tool. The very simple handle shape is much better than it seems to be, it allows very different grips, all comfortable.
Just take care to don't grasp it upside down with the thumb on what you believe to be the spine. knitted Kevlar glove recommended for the hand which holds the piece of wood you whittle.

4ynVYUwh.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Well perhaps I should have asked, “all in favor for GEC never making another fixed blade?”

plenty of other companies make decent fixed blades (steak knives, carving knives, hunting knives...). I wonder why they bother if it’s that unpopular.

dantzk8 dantzk8 ive definitely gotten the blade upside-down before. The blade shape and symmetrical handle make that sooooo easy.

Sensitive much? No need for the dejected and self-pitying attitude just because no one agrees with you.

If I had a vote I would be in favor of GEC never making another fixed blade. They'd have that much more time making slipjoints. :thumbsup:

Sensitive much? No need for the dejected and self-pitying attitude just because no one agrees with you.

I think you’re reading too deep into my posts, since I don’t feel dejected and I’m not one for self pity. If anything I’ve found you irritating, but only because you assumed too much in why I would like a GEC-made sloyd. The Flexcut sloyd I have is 1095, with a rat tail tang and seems to be a great sloyd knife. I don’t need another one, but for my tastes I’d rather use a GEC made version to the specs I proposed. It’s the opportunity for variation and making something unique and functional. I also like opportunity to give my money to the fine people at GEC for making fine knives.

I almost bought a mora last Sunday from the Army Navy store here in Mystic, Connecticut. I elected not to, because I didn’t see much different between that and what I have already.

I enjoy toying with new ideas. I figured if they were going to make steak knives, might as well suggest something I’ll buy.

On my GECs, if it’s going to be a user, I sharpen it once on my KME. I consider “a” knife to be “my” knife once I put my edge on it. After that it’s just maintenance which usually means stropping once a week. I’m in an office, not on a farm.
Fixed blades sometimes need a touch up on a stone. Stropping doesn’t generally get me where I need to be after cleaning hogs. They tear up blades as bad as they do crops.
Maybe I should go for some of that super steel on my hunting knives. :D

View attachment 1266495

While I don't have a lot of experience cleaning hogs, I'd imagine bark rivers elmax would do a great job just based on how long it holds up with deer.

Either way, it sounds like you just made yourself the perfect case to buy a new knife :thumbsup:

Back