Lets talk GEC!

The way SFOs work now - Rob can't just decide, "I want to do a Heartland run" and then order it from GEC. GEC would decide to run 74 Stallions, and then order him the opportunity to do a run if he wanted. Someone really close to GEC like Charlie or Mike may get some sway in the production schedule every once in a while, but we've only seen the one run probably because that's the last time they ran Stallions.

Also, Leslie - I want that knife :cool::D

You mean my speculation was on! Wow! I’m proud of myself !!

Slim to none and slim jest left town.:D Like has been said you won't likely find one for retail but that particular TC dose show up at a reasonable price from time to time. There's one place I'm thinking of in particular to keep an eye out for them but I don't think there a member of BladeForums so you would need to pm me or email me at gecknives@yahoo.com if you want the name. Good luck.
Sent you an email, thanks!

Would anyone else be interested if GEC made a sloyd knife? My wife got me my first sloyd for Christmas made by Flexcut. I’ve been learning the techniques and I must say, it’s very effective. A very handy tool that makes great finishing cuts, carving in the round, and works well for hogging off a bunch of wood fast. If GEC made a full tang version I’d buy one for sure.

I was just pondering after giving my #35 some proper love and maintenance. How dull do you let your GEC’s get before touching them up or stropping? I strop the knives I use at the end of each day. I don’t do a close inspection and I don’t go nuts with it.

today I inspected the main on my #35 with a light and it needed more stropping than typical to get the shine off the edge. I put it away with the faintest shine only because it’d taken so long stropping to get it there, and frankly I don’t know if I could feel any dullness in the edge. I am perhaps guilty of obsessing over sharpness, to the point where I’m using my phone’s blindness-Inducing flashlight to inspect the edge for sheen.

pros? I keep the sharpest knives one could have. Cons? I spend a lot of time fussing over them; perhaps even electing to go for my SAK if the cutting task is late enough in the day, just to save a pristine edge. (You know, the knife we all have that we lend to folks when they decide our knife is the tool for cutting through a barbed wire fence.)

just curious what my GEC-toting brothers and sisters say.

I was just pondering after giving my #35 some proper love and maintenance. How dull do you let your GEC’s get before touching them up or stropping? I strop the knives I use at the end of each day. I don’t do a close inspection and I don’t go nuts with it.

today I inspected the main on my #35 with a light and it needed more stropping than typical to get the shine off the edge. I put it away with the faintest shine only because it’d taken so long stropping to get it there, and frankly I don’t know if I could feel any dullness in the edge. I am perhaps guilty of obsessing over sharpness, to the point where I’m using my phone’s blindness-Inducing flashlight to inspect the edge for sheen.

pros? I keep the sharpest knives one could have. Cons? I spend a lot of time fussing over them; perhaps even electing to go for my SAK if the cutting task is late enough in the day, just to save a pristine edge. (You know, the knife we all have that we lend to folks when they decide our knife is the tool for cutting through a barbed wire fence.)

I use my GECs to cut whatever needs cutting. I usually take a few passes on the honing rod at the end of the day. If something gets rolled or nicked I pull out my King stones and reprofile. I enjoy sharpening, so it's a bonus when I get to use my knives a lot.

I take my good old slow time sharpening. Once the angles are set, all I do is strop. You have to push into something pretty hard to roll the edge and require resharpening. What I have found is, I think a knife is dull, but it is actually patina building on the sharpened edge. Clean with strop and, oh yeah, the edge that was set with the lansky is still there, just under the black rust of patina.

I probably sharpen mine too often. Usually I do a Stropping after a day of use.

Honest question here, not trying to be a jerk. Are you a touch OCD? Earlier in this thread you were very concerned about the sharpness/edge from the factory and work hard to get it to your standard. In another thread you expressed concern about proud tips. Now you are very concerned with maintaining your standard edge, even admitted to being a little obsessed with it. I think this is is like anything else there is a bell curve and most people fall into sharp is sharp enough category, you on the other hand are toward the end of the curve with your personal standard of sharpness required.

With all that said a few points most people in this forum probably fall closer to you on the sharpness curve than the mean, we are knife people.

Your standard of sharpness may mean that what you referred to as the "normal" number of sharpenings before a tip is proud may happen faster for you than others because of your sharpness standard.

My preference and belief is that stropping will prolong an edge on a knife for a very long time and if done regularly sharpening will very rarely be needed.
I have never sharpened my carving knives, just strop them all the time and they are razors.

The first thing I do with any new knife is reprofile to 10dps and then set a 15dps micro bevel. When I'm carrying and using a GEC, I take a couple quick passes on the Sharpmaker fine stones every few days. If it's a knife with harder steel, that might be once a month with more passes. I strop after. If I haven't really used the knife, I might just strop. If I can see the edge, it's gone way past dull. Dull is when you have to scrape hair rather than shave it nicely.

Does anyone know if the 92 Pocket Carver will be a split back? Please say yes.

Somebody posted something they read on Facebook from somebody else that it wasn't going to be a "traditional" style of spring set up in response to someone's post about a "split spring" whittler. Lol, so there.

My take, first thing first, until you see pictures you never know with GEC. I'm guessing it will be a traditional split back Whittler just like the last 13, and the 98 Whittler before that, and the 57 before that, but.. you never know with GEC :) ... especially when somebody read a post from someone on Facebook o_O

I am the somebody. :D The source from FB is a design engineer at GEC. He has been reliable before, however cryptic. He said yes to split back but not a traditional one. He will not go any further.

I am the somebody. :D The source from FB is a design engineer at GEC. He has been reliable before, however cryptic. He said yes to split back but not a traditional one. He will not go any further.

I know who your talking about. He is usually spot on. I hope it doesn't happen, the split-back whittlers GEC has put out are works of art.

I almost admire the folks who have the patience to endure the format that is Facebook. I lost mine ages ago.

I am far more content taking a wait-and-see approach.

Me too! I don't like the Facebook format. Many years ago I used it. I enjoy the speculation as it applies to a hobby I like, but that's it ....especially since GEC changes things up often and I can't rely 100% on USPS to get a knife to me... it's all just talk for fun :)

Back