Lets talk GEC!

Well I’m terrible at photography, but here’s mine.
TGOgeA9.jpg

The #35 Churchill is the knife I put in my pocket the most- it’s my trusty go-to.

My cocobolo #93 is perhaps what you might call a “beauty queen”, but she’s starting to show signs of handling/admiring. It’s probably the only one I really worked hard to get.

edit: typos were bothering me.

Last edited:
kamagong kamagong i guess I now have a knife for the wish list. That 74 is particularly well executed.

Old Engineer Old Engineer i did happen to notice you have a @33 Whittler, which I’m very jealous of, and a... white smooth bone lambsfoot? Re-cover job?

@CelloDan speaking of users and cocobolo #93 Ramsfoot knives... hows yours holding up?

kamagong kamagong i guess I now have a knife for the wish list. That 74 is particularly well executed.

Old Engineer Old Engineer i did happen to notice you have a @33 Whittler, which I’m very jealous of, and a... white smooth bone lambsfoot? Re-cover job?

@CelloDan speaking of users and cocobolo #93 Ramsfoot knives... hows yours holding up?
Thanks for noticing and the kind words .
The Red Jigged Bone 33 is made of Unobtainium and I like it very much and it is actually my Wife's .
The Smooth White Bone Lambfoot is one of 23 that was presented to @waynorth at the 2019 Rendezvous and I was Lucky enough to obtain one of them .

Harry

I'll play.

My most used GEC's versus their "safe queen" counterparts. For the record, I don't keep my knives in a safe or in tubes. I have a lovely display case/chest that I keep my collection in - a gift from my wife from a few years back.

Zj5GlBk.jpg

iRMKT7s.jpg

AV18cVX.jpg
Lots of beautiful knives in this thread, Dylan, but those are really special. And you have a gift for photography. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Aww shucks I cant play... :( all of mine are users...
r4k93pO.jpg

:p;)
Nice collection, David. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My only safe queen: 77 Washington jack.
My most used: 35 Farm & Field. A work horse.
I carry this one every day since 6 years

beautiful Washington Jack! I can see why you’d keep that one tucked away for safe keeping. Is your #35 calf pen modified? I can’t spot the “one arm open” feature on the secondary. It looks very well used.

finally carrying one knife every day for six years? Remarkable. Is that one of those #99 farm hand lock backs?

beautiful Washington Jack! I can see why you’d keep that one tucked away for safe keeping. Is your #35 calf pen modified? I can’t spot the “one arm open” feature on the secondary. It looks very well used.

finally carrying one knife every day for six years? Remarkable. Is that one of those #99 farm hand lock backs?

Thanks EngrSorenson,

The Washington jack is indeed a gem, i got it from a collector who offered to sell me it at a very fair price (thanks Andrew). It's a strange and unexpected experience for me, it's the first time i don't use a knife i like.
The 35 has been modified with a file, i've removed the blade hawk and the screwdriver, they made the knife uncomfortable to use and to carry, it doesn't make it less ugly but i don't care, it's a great tool.

4WAODhzh.jpg

The third knife is a 99 Farmer Lock. The first GEC i've purchased just because it reminded me a French Pradel i've used and carried for years when i was young. Same pattern and size minus the lock back. It's a very well made knife, without the blade play lockbacks are supposed to have by their design. It's a basic pattern, best at nothing, good at everything.

I've followed with interest all the talk about the SFOs and a supposed new orientation of the GEC production. I don't know what to think about that. Owning the Washington jack makes me understand the collector's feelings but the user i am wants more Farm & Fields. The 62 will probably be the knife of the year for me.

jefwtnUh.jpg

Dan.

Bringing us back to GEC wish lists...especially in absence of SFOs. I would really like to see a stainless crown lifter...clip point would be great...in bone of course. Here are a couple of 2013 Radio Knives and a 2016 stainless clip...of all my GECs, these three 15s with clips have the strongest back springs. GEC could sell these like hot cakes, carbon and/or stainless. The last few crown lifter clip blades have gone for large sums on the bay...there is one there now (no not my knife) and it is climbing up there rapidly.upload_2020-7-10_11-16-49.jpeg

The 35 has been modified with a file, i've removed the blade hawk and the screwdriver, they made the knife uncomfortable to use and to carry, it doesn't make it less ugly but i don't care, it's a great tool.

4WAODhzh.jpg

I LOVE that modification. I think it makes the knife more beautiful. That blade combo minus the liner lock would have made that knife a must-have!

3nIG7cD.jpg

The calf pen IS a must have, those who have them know. :cool: Underrated for sure and unfortunately due to the cool reception they will probably never be made again. The 35 frame is so nice though the Churchill and Harness Jack are also great knives. It will be interesting to see what they will do with and when they will use that frame again.

3nIG7cD.jpg

The calf pen IS a must have, those who have them know. :cool: Underrated for sure and unfortunately due to the cool reception they will probably never be made again. The 35 frame is so nice though the Churchill and Harness Jack are also great knives. It will be interesting to see what they will do with and when they will use that frame again.

Agree here! I was able to find one (the one I wanted!!) in orange Delrin still available on a dealer site. That's bonkers. Great knives, especially after they break in a bit!

Every time I see a calf pen I think to myself it’s kinda like an Opinel or a SAK but somehow just misses out on being the Next Big Thing in an outdoor knife.

I see so much potential and with a few tweaks that knife could be really amazing.
What tweaks would you like to see?

I my opinion, it needs a spear main, plus bottle opener, can opener and awl.
Well that's a scout knife, different totally than the calf pen not just tweaks. I too would like to see that on a 35 frame unfortunately it got pushed to the side by the 98 camp knife, and now we may never see it.

Back