Lets talk GEC!

Every time I see a calf pen I think to myself it’s kinda like an Opinel or a SAK but somehow just misses out on being the Next Big Thing in an outdoor knife.

I see so much potential and with a few tweaks that knife could be really amazing.
I agree with you 100% about that knife being amazing with a few tweaks. The comparison you bring up is also interesting. The knives you mentioned are serviceable blades for less than half the price of the calf pen. That might be why I have so many SAKs and Opinels and no #35 calf pen.

CelloDan CelloDan speaking of users and cocobolo #93 Ramsfoot knives... hows yours holding up?

Hi, I just noticed this post ( for some reason it did not alert me in the notifications)

The cocobolo 93 was my first GEC that I got about a year ago.
I was infatuated with this knife and still am :)

I carried it and used a lot for food prep last summer while camping and having picnics.
I would readily hand out my knife to my daughters, my wife, my Mom and they all got a turn at cutting tomatoes, onions and all kinds foodstuff. The knife would be covered in food juices when they handed it back to me.

Something I've learned ... Cocobolo and food DON'T mix well.
Unless treated ( which is very hard to do as cocobolo does not take to coatings well ) cocobolo tends to develop an ugly dark grime that really bug me )

I have a bit of wood turning experience and have access to wood polishing tools.
I cleaned it and restored it following instructions I found here on bladeforums with excellent results.
So now it's a beauty queen :D (the wood has darkened but is still really beautiful, and mirror smooth, it glows :))

Here is the link to what I did posted in the shop talk thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/finishing-cocobolo.1607683/#post-19287762

(a knife maker replied on the thread above and posted how he treats cocobolo chefs knifes as otherwise they all get that ugly dark grimey look)

Before:
lhYaPay.jpg

lQzOXVK.jpg

After :)

g3atClm.jpg

GXX7jH7.jpg

6dVrHKb.jpg

8PXFTQz.jpg

CelloDan CelloDan great restoration, though I gotta be honest, “before” was handsome, too!

I like stories of these knives getting put to the test. Thanks for sharing! It was fun.

Bringing us back to GEC wish lists...especially in absence of SFOs. I would really like to see a stainless crown lifter...clip point would be great...in bone of course. Here are a couple of 2013 Radio Knives and a 2016 stainless clip...of all my GECs, these three 15s with clips have the strongest back springs. GEC could sell these like hot cakes, carbon and/or stainless. The last few crown lifter clip blades have gone for large sums on the bay...there is one there now (no not my knife) and it is climbing up there rapidly.View attachment 1375472
YES PLEASE!

that would make me so happy.

i have a clip crown lifter just like the one being bid on. Not a big fan of day glow so mr @Jfowl31 is working on it... and he’s keeping me in suspense !

I got lucky, was sending an email on my phone when the telegram came through... managed to reserve a stag. I wonder if the production numbers will be low as this is likely a filler run.

Back