Lets talk GEC!

A nice piece of GEC memorabilia

LhB3U3s.jpg

Bpw5Oub.jpg

I was lucky enough to get hold of these two 23s in smooth oiled bone, but they aren’t the knives for close friends and family mentioned in the flyer - those have an additional engraving on the blade. Maybe someone has a pic.

Last edited:
I think we'll see these on a #35 frame ...
9xCz7rs.jpg

Who knows, maybe we'll see a caplifter on a #35 as well.

On a side note, M&G apparently sold 68 #15 Boys Knives with Bail and Chain over the weekend. On Friday I was considering buying one, that's how many their system said we're available. This morning I finally went back to buy one and they were gone.

A good example of scarcity driving up demand. M&G sold out of all of their inventory not long after the halt to SFOs was announced. I got a few for my collection - I will bet money on the fact that some might have been a bit less scrupulous with regards to their intentions.

Same here. Craft breweries (especially the smaller ones) all seem to be moving to cans, which is fine with me.

That’s true! I’ve been slowly enjoying a case of Mexican Coke I bought at Costco a while back.

Wasn’t there (or is there still) a Dr. Pepper bottling co. in Texas that still made it with real sugar?

Sorry, getting off-topic. Here are some GEC caplifters.

1QTTh8y.jpg

Kk0fJyJ.jpg

That is a tremendous collection, Barrett! I only have one GEC with a caplifter and that is a Radio Jack that I got in a trade awhile back. I kick myself all the time for not getting a Beer Scout when they were readily available. There were so many Beer Barrel ones that sat on shelves - I could have had my pick but my procrastination cost me.

On a different note, I really enjoy all of the speculation and such with regards to what GEC has up their sleeves. Part of their appeal is the surprise that is always around the corner. If the 35 rumor proves to be true, this is quite exciting. My Churchill is one my most beloved - though I don't carry it as much as I used to...

A good example of scarcity driving up demand. M&G sold out of all of their inventory not long after the halt to SFOs was announced. I got a few for my collection - I will bet money on the fact that some might have been a bit less scrupulous with regards to their intentions.

On a different note, I really enjoy all of the speculation and such with regards to what GEC has up their sleeves. Part of their appeal is the surprise that is always around the corner. If the 35 rumor proves to be true, this is quite exciting. My Churchill is one my most beloved - though I don't carry it as much as I used to...

Yeah- I hate to admit it, but scarcity makes me feel anxious about missing out. I think the kids these days call it FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. Often times it makes me consider knives I wouldn't have otherwise considered. A number of those M&G's I looked at but for various reasons turned away from when they were available. I can't lie that I feel a little regret, though I know I really didn't need one (or even really want one, right?).

speaking of anxiety, I also am feeling the excitement about the unknown, but I can't help feeling like I'm not going to have fast enough fingers. I don't have access to my phone during the day here at work, and the knife sites are blocked (except this one!).

I, like you, cherish my #35 Churchill (I use it often!) and I personally would love to see what else GEC would do with that stout frame.

From an engineering standpoint there are possible improvements to the materials used in traditional folders....... But then you wouldn't have the authenticity that GEC is known for.......
Brass comes in many forms and with varying hardness...... A very hard brass won't rivet worth a damn...... The mushroom will fracture before forming..... All this is known quite well by the knife makers.... It is what is endearing with GEC knives.....
I also have modern folders; LionSteel, etc but I look at those in an entirely different manner than GEC...... Keep making traditional folders with traditional materials and keep the bloodlines pure..... If you want the latest gee-whiz materials buy a LionSteel or Viper....

Mind you, GEC makes all steel knives too (thankfully omitting brass) and that has a long pedigree,. GEC all steel construction has very tight tolerances on back springs/liners and I'm impressed by such craftsmanship. Did I say brass stinks? ;):D Well it does and keeping it to a minimum is my preference.

Man... no love for brass around here!
Do you all avoid or change idioms, too?
"lets get down to nickel silver tacks."
"the top nickel silver will be quite pleased."
"she's as bold as nickel silver."
"that's not worth a nickel silver farthing."
"When I was a nickel silver hat..."

Man... no love for brass around here!
Do you all avoid or change idioms, too?
"lets get down to nickel silver tacks."
"the top nickel silver will be quite pleased."
"she's as bold as nickel silver."
"that's not worth a nickel silver farthing."
"When I was a nickel silver hat..."
Have to admit this one made me laugh!

Yeah- I hate to admit it, but scarcity makes me feel anxious about missing out. I think the kids these days call it FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. Often times it makes me consider knives I wouldn't have otherwise considered. A number of those M&G's I looked at but for various reasons turned away from when they were available. I can't lie that I feel a little regret, though I know I really didn't need one (or even really want one, right?).

speaking of anxiety, I also am feeling the excitement about the unknown, but I can't help feeling like I'm not going to have fast enough fingers. I don't have access to my phone during the day here at work, and the knife sites are blocked (except this one!).

I try to collect what I like and for myself, but I must say that the hype around certain patterns makes me consider purchases that I might not have made otherwise.

Every time there's a Northwoods drop I prepare myself for failure. I'm used to missing out at this point, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing. Even the run of the mill GEC patterns now seem to go quick. The 23 LL is one that unless you are at your computer when you get the email, you have no chance. Working remotely during the pandemic has assisted me a few times at securing a popular knife at retail. I am going to hate having to go back into the office lol.

I, like you, cherish my #35 Churchill (I use it often!) and I personally would love to see what else GEC would do with that stout frame.
EngrSorenson EngrSorenson based on what you have shared with us about your knife likes and dislikes, if the rumors about the last (hopefully for the time being) M&G SFO is going to be right up your alley. It's not from a confirmed reliable source so I will not share it here. So maybe you will get a M&G after all.

It's funny that all the M&G #15 B&C knives sold out so quickly once the "No SFO" news broke, while all those Tidioute B&C knives sit on shelves at a lower price. That just shows the "perceived" value of such things and how you can suddenly make something desirable by making it scarce. To me, it's just the same dang knife that I passed up months ago.

I am pretty sure the #35s are coming after the Conductors - I'm also quite excited about it.

In hindsight I'm glad I missed the M&G Boys Knife as it will allow me to buy an additional variant of the Churchill run with a clear conscience:);)

I spoke to Roger from Maher and Grosh yesterday about my Yankee Whittler order and he said that most of his inventory started selling in early July and he was just about sold out by yesterday.

A nice piece of GEC memorabilia

LhB3U3s.jpg

Bpw5Oub.jpg

I was lucky enough to get hold of these two 23s in smooth oiled bone, but they aren’t the knives for close friends and family mentioned in the flyer - those have an additional engraving on the blade. Maybe someone has a pic.

Those are fantastic! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is a tremendous collection, Barrett! I only have one GEC with a caplifter and that is a Radio Jack that I got in a trade awhile back. I kick myself all the time for not getting a Beer Scout when they were readily available. There were so many Beer Barrel ones that sat on shelves - I could have had my pick but my procrastination cost me.

Thanks, Dylan! :thumbsup: The first run of Beer Scouts was one of the things that brought me to GEC. It’s funny to think how much things have changed in 5 years. When I first discovered GEC, it was shortly after the first run of Beer Scouts had been produced. There weren’t any left on dealers’ shelves, but I was able to buy a Chestnut Sawcut Bone and three Tortoise Shell Beer Scouts on the exchange (for very fair prices). The two extra Tortoise shells were gifts for my Uncle and my best friend.

Eb4rKZ1.jpg

I bought one in Ebony sometime later from a BF member/friend, and got in on all the second run Beer Scouts when they were released. As I had reserved them ahead of time, I didn’t know what the jigged bone or acrylic would look like. Both were a bit disappointing, so I let them go. I don’t know if you remember, but the original production schedule only included the regular Beer Barrel Oak, then GEC sort surprised us with the Charred Beer Barrel Oak, which (in my opinion) ended up being the best knife of that run. :cool:

5lFd7wc.jpg

It's funny that all the M&G #15 B&C knives sold out so quickly once the "No SFO" news broke, while all those Tidioute B&C knives sit on shelves at a lower price. That just shows the "perceived" value of such things and how you can suddenly make something desirable by making it scarce. To me, it's just the same dang knife that I passed up months ago.
The M&G's are already showing up in a couple of places at greatly inflated prices. :rolleyes:

Back