Lets talk GEC!

The M&G's are already showing up in a couple of places at greatly inflated prices. :rolleyes:
I don’t know why that makes me so mad. It’s a free country. I just feel like that kind of behavior shouldn’t be rewarded. I hardly consider “buying an investment” more valuable than the work GEC did to make it.

I guess that being said, if they held onto it for 10 years and sold it, at least I’d say they invested patience.

I agree. Seeing them pop up right away for inflated prices is ridiculous. But it is a free a country and they are free to do it.

I personally don’t have the cash to do “speculation” investing which is all this is.

For me this is the best hobby because 1) I enjoy the knives, 2) I use the knives, 3) they do hold value, and 4) the community here.

I agree. Seeing them pop up right away for inflated prices is ridiculous. But it is a free a country and they are free to do it.

For me this is the best hobby because 1) I enjoy the knives, 2) I use the knives, 3) they do hold value, and 4) the community here.

precisely why I decided to get a membership today. It’s been over a year and it’s about time.

I agree with all your points here.

My guess for the upcoming GEC secret announcement. I think it will be a new pattern, an Elephant Toe. Not a sunfish, and not a whaler, but a new giant wide knife, equal end Elephant Toe.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson based on what you have shared with us about your knife likes and dislikes, if the rumors about the last (hopefully for the time being) M&G SFO is going to be right up your alley. It's not from a confirmed reliable source so I will not share it here. So maybe you will get a M&G after all.

These days I’m just excited to see something new from GEC even if it’s not to my tastes. You definitely know my affinity for the #35 Churchill. I think the driver of that affection is more how they designed the blades than the pattern itself; I think most of us would say a cigar pattern is utilitarian, simple and straightforward. The pattern is kind of like chocolate ice cream; you already know what its going to taste like, but when it’s done well it rivals the flavors with all the goodies stuffed in them.

I’m excited. I’m wondering how hard I’m going to work to procure a #33 with anticipation of what’s to come.

It's funny that all the M&G #15 B&C knives sold out so quickly once the "No SFO" news broke, while all those Tidioute B&C knives sit on shelves at a lower price. That just shows the "perceived" value of such things and how you can suddenly make something desirable by making it scarce. To me, it's just the same dang knife that I passed up months ago.

The M&G version of the 15 w/ bail and chain is a much nicer knife than the standard GEC release, it has nicer jigging, the federal shield, a long pull on its spear point blade and a pen blade too.

Same here. Craft breweries (especially the smaller ones) all seem to be moving to cans, which is fine with me.

That’s true! I’ve been slowly enjoying a case of Mexican Coke I bought at Costco a while back.

Wasn’t there (or is there still) a Dr. Pepper bottling co. in Texas that still made it with real sugar?

Sorry, getting off-topic. Here are some GEC caplifters.

1QTTh8y.jpg

Kk0fJyJ.jpg
I've been wondering why I could never find a Beer Scout....

Mystery SOLVED!:p

Can someone please tell me what year the held the first GEC Rendezvous? Thank you

I personally don’t have the cash to do “speculation” investing which is all this is.

yes unfortunately we've been observing an influx of people who just troll the f/s section for deals and snatching up everything

yes unfortunately we've been observing an influx of people who just troll the f/s section for deals and snatching up everything

mrknife mrknife I’ve noticed it too. I honestly can’t believe how fast stuff in our exchange here sells now. Just about any GEC flies out quicker than you can respond.

I’ve also been surprised at the large “mail calls” I see on other forums where folks are buying multiple expensive GEC’s in one shot.

Am I jealous? No.

Am I curious why the surge in collecting? Yes.

I’m hoping that we see some of this flipping die off with SFO’s cancelled.

mrknife mrknife I’ve noticed it too. I honestly can’t believe how fast stuff in our exchange here sells now. Just about any GEC flies out quicker than you can respond.

I’ve also been surprised at the large “mail calls” I see on other forums where folks are buying multiple expensive GEC’s in one shot.

Am I jealous? No.

Am I curious why the surge in collecting? Yes.

I’m hoping that we see some of this flipping die off with SFO’s cancelled.

Agreed, its nothing to me, more of just an observation of the section. They also add nothing to the conversation. If gec chooses to cancel sfos and not run any patterns I enjoy, it just means I save more money.

As long as there are people willing to pay inflated prices, there will be flipping. May not like it, but can't really blame people who see an opportunity to make some money and take it. Flipping will stop when nobody is willing to pay the prices. If the flippers can't sell product, they'll move on to something else. Good old law of supply and demand.

Back