Lets talk GEC!

As long as there are people willing to pay inflated prices, there will be flipping. May not like it, but can't really blame people who see an opportunity to make some money and take it. Flipping will stop when nobody is willing to pay the prices. If the flippers can't sell product, they'll move on to something else. Good old law of supply and demand.
Flippers are like pimps and drug dealers. Miserable excuses for human beings.

It's funny that all the M&G #15 B&C knives sold out so quickly once the "No SFO" news broke, while all those Tidioute B&C knives sit on shelves at a lower price. That just shows the "perceived" value of such things and how you can suddenly make something desirable by making it scarce. To me, it's just the same dang knife that I passed up months ago.

This is where I am at with it. The bail/chain knives just do not interest me, and saw no need to purchase an M&G SFO version of a knife I didn't want.

Knife content

J87v2pq.jpg

That looks like an early, circa 2007 53 or 54?

Thank you.

That is an '08 53 Cuban in Sandbar acrylic. The photo does not do it justice, you just can't capture all the nuance in the covers even in bright sunlight.
That's funny, when I saw it the first thing I thought was it reminded me of looking down at the beach and seeing the sandbars under the water!

That would be hard to police. I think it's fine the way it is. But it is frustrating when you arrive to a sales thread with no photos at all and they are all already sold in the first two minutes. Pretty crazy.

At least in the modern folder section, folks are polite and have a full response. "Hello, I'd like to take XYZ knife, PM to follow."

In the Traditional section, it's just "TAKE". If I ever sell any of my Traditionals in there, anyone who responds that way will be summarily ignored. :D

I will continue to watch the new knives being produced by GEC. No doubt about it they make a great product. But it would have to be something extraordinary for me to sit by my computer and wait for the drop anymore. I have done that on multiple occasions, and honestly those knives sit in the same box as my others, and once the novelty wears off they actually cut the same as well!

That will likely mean I miss a lot of great knives, but I'm ok with that. Likewise on the exchange.

I've seen some guys take the chain off and fill the hole with a decorative mosaic pin. Ends up looking pretty cool.
This is exactly what I was planning to do - only because I didn't have a 15 in my collection, have no idea when they'll be run again, and rarely see one on the secondary market that doesn't make my wallet shiver. Thankfully I was able to get one off the Exchange with no Bail and Chain this weekend so I no longer feel compelled to go that route.

buying GEC here on the exchange was frustrating last winter when I tried to quit traditionals. Now it’s even worse. There is always a few people that scoop up all the good within a min or two. I want to say “good for them” but after months of seeing the same person get them all, I am bitter.
(removed 'purchasing' content... apologies, Peregrin)
Hopefully the new 35's will have a little bit of something for everyone. I'm anxious to see them. I really like that frame size. That is, of course, if they actually ARE the next after the conductors. Fingers crossed....

Last edited:
Back