Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

S Square_peg redid one of his Plumb rafting axes here:

I recently posted a picture of this axe along side a fresher axe and it made me realize how badly I needed to re-grind the waffling on the poll. It's something I've wanted to do for several years but I held off because I knew it would be difficult to do.

7.jpg

Today I finally got around to it. I started with a cant file (not safed) to re-establish the lines. Later I switched to a triangle file to shape the points and grooves.

1.jpg

Here you can see how I set it for filing in my vise. A scrap of hickory protects the bit from the screw while two elms wedges help secure the axe in the jaws.

3.jpg

In the more worn areas it was really tough to carefully re-establish the lines. Tedious and painstaking. It took me over two hours to do. The file had to be brushed out constantly.

4.jpg

7a.jpg

Almost finished

11.jpg

Tools.

14.jpg

Finished waffle.

Waffle%20Finished.jpg
"Waffling" seems like a pretty apt description/term.

I went out with the wife Sunday rockhounding for amethyst. This trip up the Fraser canyon would be a perfect to post the photos the wife took. The area we went into had been hit with one of the big forest fires on the beetle killed pine. So incase we had to open a logging road, I brought along an axe I never used before, a 3# on a 24" haft. The head worked fine on the most difficult piece of wood I could find, just file and puck sharpening, however a 24" haft on a head that weight required a two handed use, and a uncomfortable swing. I love using a boys axe with a 24" haft brush clearing trail on the quad, but that is one handed. The axe went into the truck's tool box .

A bunch of us from the Becker subforum got together this past weekend. I brought out a few axes to try.
wzUkV5S.jpg

The 3 1/2 and 4lb Hults really impressed me but the massive 5lb Collins Jersey stole the show.
For some reason my muscles are really sore.

I thought it would be interesting to do a before/after of this red oak I felled last fall. I got more firewood out of it than I thought I would. Almost 2 cord! I took the one on the right.
PBLtXOg.jpg

eV647au.jpg

I finished cleaning up all the small stuff today and splitting all the hard ones. I split all but one with my #5 S&N.
MPlSsZ8.jpg

The difficult ones;
omTLaU4.jpg
aMAxPVv.jpg

And finally the stacked wood. 219.3 cubic feet of it. (That number is wrong see edit/=109 cubic ft)
sUgyx9c.jpg

Have a great night all!
This oak was 84 years old btw.
And it's equivalent to 42,000,000 btu's. Red oak is 24.6 million btu's per cord x 1.71 cord(s). That's a lot of heat from one tree!

I made a mistake when calculating.. There is NOT 1.71 cord there. It's 4/5ths of a cord or 109 cubic feet.
I knew there wasn't that much wood there. I just wanted to make that correction. So about 20 million btu's from that oak. Still not bad!

Walking my property yesterday I finally found a property marker that I was sure didn't exist. I've looked for it a bunch in years past. In light of finding it I discovered that I have more oaks than I thought I did! And even though it's not the ideal time of year to harvest them I'm going to anyway. So I'll have some more axe swingin' updates soon!

Last edited:
Back