Like a phoenix? CSC is reborn...

Josh seemed pretty eager to throw him under the bus.

Ya know, I'm a big fan of anyone that tries to make a go of it in market where many have already failed. That's why I am willing to give a bit of excess slack to a venture like the CSC co-op. That being said, a bit more communication from the Co-op would at least lessen the frustration of those of us that are waiting for products. RHC is just a middle man that is stuck trying to keep the mob at bay.

Wally Gardiner has been in the business longer than some have been alive. There are legit reasons for what is happening, we just don't know them. If it is a switch on the blades, that's disappointing, but I don't think there is malice behind it, most likely just a desire to keep the wheels turning on the shoestring operation.

I totally get the frustration. After all, as a consumer, what we choose to buy is about the only legit freedom we have left.

I also called RHC yesterday ,Talked to Robin for a half hour .She told me it was her mistake,hell we all make mistakes,she went to change something ,not related to Canalstreet and the wrong thing got change and she didn't catch it .We did,but no harm ,no foul. I don't know if Wally is talking about using carbon on future knives or not, but I for one would buy a 1095 Pinch. I'm willing to give them the time they need on the knives I've bought,If your not ,cancel ,and buy something else. Life to short to put with the head ache of waiting.

Here I go again...
But that validates the point I'm trying to make about credibility.
The whole situation stinks.
Why call the "mistake" a typo? Why not come clean in the first place?
I understand about not wanting to cast aspersions on the CO-OP and wanting to stay loyal to a manufacturer - especially one who is trying to make a come back.
But what about the customer? Doesn't the customer deserve the same loyalty?
Doesn't Red Hill check on the content a manufacturer places on their site before being published?
As for the CO-OP, I understand trying to be as cost effective as possible.
But now they've been got caught with their their finger in the blade steel pie, where might they turn next (behind the scenes) to save a buck?
Glue instead of epoxy? A quicker and cheaper heat treat? Who knows?
Sure, this is an isolated incident involving a manufacturer with apparently dishonest business practices.
But to ME (old and somewhat cantankerous), the credibility for both is down the tubes. I will not put my faith or trust in either one.
That is why neither will get my $ in the future - as if that makes a difference to either one. After all, I'm only one potential customer.
BUT, I'm fairly certain that both the CO-OP and Red Hill are aware of the dissatisfaction from not only myself expressed in this thread, but also from others.
I would be interested to read here any response that either might make to this horrendous situation.
Are they both concerned that an explanation would validate a situation that is already out in the open?
Or are they both content to just hope all the hub-bub dies down?
OG

Not sure how you can go from a typo to using glue instead of epoxy...Oh, epoxy is glue. :)

Not sure how a typo or even a change in steel is a "horrendous situation". If you don't want the knife, just don't order it, or cancel your existing order. Why invent things and drag 'em through the mud?

CSC did this forum a solid by completing the forum knife order as they were closing, that should be enough to quietly give them some slack.

But if I heard the truth, then Josh at Red Hill has been fighting against Wally trying to change blade shapes and steels (according to Josh, Wally wanted to ditch the sheepsfoots too, after orders were placed, and make all clip points, and then have customers send in their knives to have the blades replaced after the fact)...

While I am disappointed with the delay in receiving what I have ordered, I am more interested in actually receiving it rather than the delay. IMO, calling Wally Gardiner dishonest is not right.
glennbad glennbad , I respect you very much and obviously you've been around here much longer than I. I feel that your reputation as an extremely talented businessman is impeccable and has been gained through honest dealings with the community.
I absolutely agree that dishonest is a very strong word and I gave much thought before using it.
Planning to intentionally send a buyer a knife with a clip blade instead of a sheepsfoot - after an order for a knife advertised as having a sheepsfoot blade has been accepted - is to me an intentional misrepresentation of what the buyer thought he was buying.
To expect the buyer to send the knife in for a replacement blade, after intentionally sending out a knife with a different blade style, is not an appropriate plan or remedy.
I used the word "dishonest" to describe business practices. Perhaps a better descriptor might have been misguided or inappropriate.
I did not say that any individual was or is dishonest. Semantics aside, I stand by the usage. This is not an honest way to do business.
OG

All good points, OG. Personally though, I'd like to know more about the situation before jumping to conclusions.

Let's wait and see what happens. Life's too short to get all twisted up about one knife. Merry Christmas!

....CSC did this forum a solid by completing the forum knife order as they were closing, that should be enough to quietly give them some slack.
I agree. They could have just said "Sorry, we can't complete the order." You want your money back? Stand in line....

is changing the sheepsfoot to a clip an option? because im gonna have it done anyway when ever these bloody things ship

A solid? To fulfill there obligation? Hardly.

So fullfiling a multiple knife obligation, under the extreme situation of closing a business due to a series of multiple illnesses, is not a "solid"?

"do someone a solid = do something for someone as an act of kindness; do someone a favor. "they're a business, not a family friend or a buddy, who will do you a solid for being a good customer"

They treated this forum's members as a friend or family.

Queen, Camillus & Schrade didn't do anything but kick out the cutlers and lock up.

It's been about five months now, and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around CSC being a Phoenix...all knives listed on site are sold out, I don't see anywhere to pre-order anything, folks are complaining about excessive delays...this doesn't sound like a recipe to build a thriving business.

Flannel Pinch...looks like they finished these.View attachment 1047210

I am kind of irritated by this, to be honest. I have been pretty patient about my stag Boy's Knife, but they have had my money since mid-July. The flannels didn't even get listed on RHC's site until the latter half of November (a month after the stags should have shipped). Now they are coming out before the stags? I am willing to give Canal Street some benefit of the doubt, but it should be first in, first out.

So fullfiling a multiple knife obligation, under the extreme situation of closing a business due to a series of multiple illnesses, is not a "solid"?

"do someone a solid = do something for someone as an act of kindness; do someone a favor. "they're a business, not a family friend or a buddy, who will do you a solid for being a good customer"

They treated this forum's members as a friend or family.

Queen, Camillus & Schrade didn't do anything but kick out the cutlers and lock up.

Whatever the various reason for them closing down, you should remember (if you have actually bought a Forum Knife at all?) that the Forum Knives were all pre-paid in full including shipping costs before CS even began making them. So I feel that yes they certainly did have a business and ethical obligation to finish the order.

I have the Forum Knife from 2015 and it's a choice example that I'm very pleased with, far better finished than any of my other CS knives, two of which I gave away, the other 2 I don't use.

far better finished than any of my other CS knives
I passed on the 2015 Forum Knife (I generally dislike wood handles and shadow patterns, so that killed it for me). However, I have the wonderful Eric's Jack which was, I believe, the 2014 Forum Knife Runner Up, and it is very well made and one of my favorite knives.

Shame to see CS' attempt at rebirth having so many problems. It would be nice for the hobby to have several good-quality "boutique" manufacturers for people to choose from. I hope they can get it together and not lose their initial momentum and good will. Though there may have been very good reasons why they couldn't make it before, and perhaps those reasons are still in place.

... the Forum Knives were all pre-paid in full including shipping costs before CS even began making them. So I feel that yes they certainly did have a business and ethical obligation to finish the order...

No business reason at all. When you go bankrupt, you lock the doors and let creditors, like those who paid for knives not delivered, get in line. Delaying filing so that forum knives could be delivered might actually have been a breach of fiduciary duty ... I'd call that a solid.

Back