Like minded gentlemen.... I need your opinion. (Heavy duty folder)

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Z...rance_ZT350WW_Stone_Washed_Satin_Finish_Blade

thats my suggestion, and it's even on sale. it should be in your price range. it's not a deep carry but since it's smaller then other ZT knives it does fit in the bottom of a pocket without too much discomfort. i'm a student as well and i keep it clipped in my pocket, so far it has not been a problem

P1050082.jpg

i'v got the serrated version and love i to death

Last edited:
I love my waved endura, too bad youre not keen on lockbacks :(

Fast opening w/ the wave and easy to close one handed, tho not as easy as a liner or framelock, but with a days training and maybe loosening the pivot a little it becomes allmost second nature.

The zt0301 is a beast of a blade. The construction and materials are top notch. It is a pretty large folder but i EDC mine and it rodes comfortably in the pocket. I really enjoy using mine and would recommend it as a hard use woods folder.

I'lll probably get a little hate here, too, but I've been carrying a Buck/TOPS CSAR-T since they came out. It's a thick, heavy brute of a knife. It locks up tight, but I wish the lock were a little more stout. They just changed the scales, so the price came down some.

I prefer the ZT0301. I love mine and have carried it every single day for almost a year now. I beat the crap out of it on a regular basis and it has never let me down. Premium materials all the way around and built like a tank. I have a lot of confidence in that knife.

I am going to second sypdusse. Go with the ZT 0550 or the 0551 if you can find one. Very well built knife, its going to be a long time before the 0551 leaves my pocket. The only downside is the cost, but it will take all the abuse you can throw at it.

I recommend the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (3.5" blade). That or the Military (4" blade) if you like large folders. They are my two favorite folders and more than tough enough for folding knife tasks.

The Spydercos are great pocket knives, and they carry well. For toughness, I'd go with the Zero Tolerance knives. But the Spyderco Military is a proven performer and will do anything that should be done with a folder.

ZT makes their folders as strong as you will ever need one to be. Their warranty and CS is great as well, along with ESEE as 2 of the best in the industry.:thumbup:

The 0350 is extremely stout for a liner lock and carries well for being a decent sized blade. It's well worth the price at $100-$110.

The 0300 series is double the price but seems like a bargain for the heavy duty build quality. If it's too much for the 0300 to handle, you should be using a fixed blade!:D They are twice as impressive in person when you hold one compared to seeing pictures.

Last edited:
My choice would probably be a Spyderco or a ZT, depending on your personal definition of 'hard use'. If I'm just doing a lot of cutting, maybe in rough materials/conditions, I'd go Spyderco, maybe the Gayle Bradley or Paramilitary. If your use leans closer to what would typically be called abuse, go for the ZT, they're tougher, but I don't like the ergonomics as much.

I have a Rat 1 so that's all I can comment on. I haven't used it that much just because not long after getting that I bought an Izula, and I like that better for carrying everyday, but it's handled what I've thrown at it. For the money you can't go wrong.

OP, those are some nice choices you're looking at. the ZT301 is a hell'ov'a knife. I like the paramilitary2 very much as well and is right at your $100 budget... but like the others said, if you're tight on cash, the Endura line is a lot of very good knife for the money.

I know you already said the hest folder is too expensive, but i still have to highly recommend it (i really cant say enough good about it). and i got mine for $175 shipped.

under $100 i would say your best option is a griptilian, ESPECIALLY now that you can customize your own on the website (altho you will have to pay full retail, $120 i believe). and if the grind is not up to snuff, they are warrented, just send it back in. mine had no such issue.

a few people have already mentioned the delica.... i think it would be a bad option for hard use. they are solid, but VG-10 is not in my opinion a good hard use steel, nor is the delica a hard use knife. i would highly recomend 154-cm tho, and i belive there will be a LE manix with it at somepoint, hopefully soon.

I'd go with the ZT 0350 for a great EDC folder. I've carried mine everyday for about 2 years and put it through hell and back with it just laughing at me. If you look around you can find one for around $130 new. It is a little heavier compared to some folders but it's built like a tank. Plus it's got a great opening system that pops it open in a flash with a flick of your finger. It also has titanium liners that are damn near rust proof and lock the blade open.

Back