Like minded gentlemen.... I need your opinion. (Heavy duty folder)

Überich;9415631 said:
my vote goes to the zt0301 - i edc a zt0302 and simply stopped looking for another/any folder ever since! money well spent...

I'll second that. There is a reason the zt 300 series is always suggested in these hard use bushcraft and camp folder threads.

Everything else feels underbuild after you get used to the TI frame lock and the thick s30v blade! You are getting a folder designed to compete with high end blades for a fraction of the price.

Hey guys, i kind of hate to ask this, but i used the search and couldnt quite find what i was looking for.

I like my knives to be users. I have very few blades that would still be considered "good" condition (mostly sentimental stuff), but otherwise i thrash on my knives, and thats the way i like it. I love esee's blades, but some times the trusty izula just isnt right for my situation. Let me explain.

I am a college student, and i have always carried a knife with me. Now the izula is pretty easy to conceal, but some times a folder just makes things easier. I can bury it deep in my pocket when im in class, not have any issues with other students/teacher, and then use it when im out of class. But i dont want to sacrifice blade strength, thickness or quality in a folder. My current folder is the Benchmade HK Ally, which is nice, but i hate serrations on a blade that small.

The other problem is when it comes to price. Id love to pick up something like the HEST folder, but $200 is waaaaay out of my price range. I spent all my money on the ESEE 6, and have been slowly building up my knife money ever since. I have looked at a few things in the ZT line, but again they can be quite spendy.

So what do you guys recommend as a good, thick, hard use folder for say... under $100?

Thanks for any info or opinions

Edit- Blade would preferably have
3-4 inch blade
decent steel (not stainless, but aus8 or higher)
frame or liner lock, or something i can easily close with one hand (ie not a back lock)
decent texturing on handle
deep pocket clip, tip up carry

knives I am considering -
ZT 0301, 200, 350
spyderco paramilitary 2, tenacious
Ontario Rat 1
Emerson... not sure what model yet

I have been carrying an Emerson Commander daily since Dec. 10 and love it. However, it is out of your budget.

I would suggest looking at a Spyderco Resilience, big knife and very good and within your price range.

I don't own a ZT but they are good as well.

I'm also curious as to what the OP's definition of "heavy duty" is. I'm sure everybody has their own view of that and I was just curious as that helps narrow things down a bit. The only knife mentioned that I have any experience with is the Spyderco Tenacious. I don't consider myself to be a hard use knife person but so far it has done everything I've asked of it with no problems. I have a Rat 1 incoming so I'll try it out as well. I will say that while I agree that the Resilience is certainly a nice large knife......I decided against buying one for now. After taking a ruler and measuring how large the blade would be, I decided that it would be too big for me to carry comfortably. I think as a student that the Resilience might be a bit too big unless you can fit it in a cargo pocket or have pretty deep pockets. I'm afraid I have no experience with any other knives except the Tenacious as it was my first real folder.

Jc

Most of my folders are plain blade, but my favorite is serrated. I really like my Spyderco Endura. I've EDC'd one for about 20 years. Just retired my second one last week. Bought another for about 70 bucks, great, tough folder, I use it multiple times every day and I don't have to worry about sharpening it. It is a true "user."

pete

Last edited:
you can get a ZT 350 blem for 85 shipped from kershawguy here on bf
or a new 350 for 105 shipped i got a blem and all that was wrong was a
little nic on the blade other then that it was brand new

frank

I just bought a RAT-1 folder. It made sense. I'm going to ponder how to design a folder as a challenge.

I have been carrying an Emerson Commander daily since Dec. 10 and love it. However, it is out of your budget.

I've carried an Emerson Commander for about 9 years and have never had a single issue with it. It's a great knife and feels really good in the hand. I've got a HEST/F on order to replace it with. I hope to like it just as much or more than the Commander.

FYI: I've seen used Commanders on ebay for less than $100. there's not much to go wrong with them. I took mine apart for the first time a few weeks ago and there was no appreciable wear.

I would buy a tenacious to use for a while to see wat you like about it and what you don`t . It isn`t a prybar but it I have used mine at work and I have no fear of it closing by accident, it stays sharp well after my Rat1 is too dull to use and I find it much more comfortable in the hand. The Rat1 is a nice knife but I don`t carry mine nearly as much as I do my other knives ,it is being compaired to knives that mostly cost double or more.
I don`t understand the lockback being a two handed closer? I often carry a spyderco endura combo edge that I put into red trainer scales for visibilty and my left hand has never assisted in closing it.

I agree with a lot of responses about the Rat 1 and the ZT 350. The Rat 1 is very affordable and you can buy three for the price of a ZT 350, I have one and have given several away as gifts. The ZT350 is much more a heavy duty folder than the Rat 1 in my opinion and also a great buy. For more money, Emersons are only a bit more than the ZT 350 and worth every penny. I think the best heavy duty folder I have ever owned are the HEST folders. I have a LE and got my son a production model, very solid knives. Have fun making a choice, there are a lot of nice knives out there.

Another vote for the ZT 3xx series. I have a 301 and its a TANK. Great knife.

ZT=:D
ZT_Knives_Ranger_Green_0301_17.jpg

That ZT pulled my pants down so I went with the next best thing.

It cut everything I've needed it to cut to this point. This weekend I'm thinking about seeing how it holds up to batoning?

DSCN1488.jpg

I'd get the RAT-1, or a SOG Flash II. I don't have experience with the RAT-1, but it is good steel. I have a lot of experience with the SOG. Are you planning on batonning with it? Prying open car doors? Prying open reinforced steel doors? Just curious, because I don't do things like that, and the SOG is plenty of knife for me. Are you planning on burying it in mud or sand? Gutting or boning out a deer? Because unless you're planning on doing that, the SOG is plenty (I'd be a little hesitant on the lock with it full of mud, blood, sand, and/or guts). The steel in it holds an edge a long time.

I've literally got a sh**-ton of knives that I have bought since seriously getting the disease in 1998. I've got folders from 3.9 inches down to 2.7 inches, in steel from S30V to 420HC, and most things in between. When I put my stuff together each morning, a SOG Flash II is always on me. All my other stuff sits in drawers all over the house, for the occasional instance where I feel like I need to carry something more expensive but no more capable.

Back