Look out! It (Native 5 Carbon Fiber S110V) has arrived!

On the Native5 CF/S110V the handle material is Peel-Ply Carbon Fiber:

"The handle of this unique Native5 features scales of peel-ply carbon fiber—an incredibly durable, lightweight material that is both visually stunning and provides a subtle texture to ensure a secure grip during use. This premium material is extremely practical and functional, but also adds a high degree of pride of ownership to this rare knife."​
That description jives with what I just got in the mail. Thanks. I must have missed those sentences in the product announcement.

This may be starting to make sense.

So, the CF on my Caly 3 is the, um, poor man's version? It's smooth, but I like it. That's what I was expecting and it's what I'm comparing this Native 5's CF to. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

That version of CF was on one of the earliest versions of the Native 5(FFG),polished CF but I think they were from Japan and they are absolutely beautiful,if you don't have one look into it ,you won't be disappointed.

O.K., you guys are steering me in the right direction. I just turned up this 2006 post from Sal of Spyderco, himself:

Spyderco has made a few models in Carbon Fiber inthe past. First the "shiny" carbon fiber and we did one in a grippy "peel-ply" CF.

Reference: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?21634-Carbon-Fiber&p=250304&viewfull=1#post250304

He oughta know, I reckon.

Thanks for reassuring a rookie, who probably has no business laying out this much green for a knife. When is this gonna end?

So, the CF on my Caly 3 is the, um, poor man's version? It's smooth, but I like it. That's what I was expecting and it's what I'm comparing this Native 5's CF to. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I suppose the peel ply feels more "real" to me because I can actually feel fibers (hence the grip), which makes some sense to me since it is called carbon FIBER. :) The carbon fiber on the Sage 1, the Domino, etc just looks cheap to me in comparison (even though I love the Domino for many other reasons).

If you don't like the Native, I'll trade you a Domino for it? :D (Before I get slammed, that was a joke, not a real trade offer in the wrong forum!)

I suppose the peel ply feels more "real" to me because I can actually feel fibers (hence the grip), which makes some sense to me since it is called carbon FIBER. :) The carbon fiber on the Sage 1, the Domino, etc just looks cheap to me in comparison (even though I love the Domino for many other reasons).

If you don't like the Native, I'll trade you a Domino for it? :D (Before I get slammed, that was a joke, not a real trade offer in the wrong forum!)
It's like blondes, brunettes and redheads; each has her own appeal. (Gosh, I'm glad my wife doesn't read knife forums -- at least I don't think so.)

EDIT: Let me add silvers, whites and grays to that list. I think they're more my speed.

Last edited:
From the Spyderco 2014 Product Guide:

9e25d276-7c8f-445a-82c7-cfd348b50b0e_zps065b0b48.jpg

Thanks, RamZar. "Non-slip, high-traction texture" is definitely accurate for this new knife.

For clarification, the CF on the Caly3 and Caly3.5 is *not* poor man's carbon fiber. It's solid carbon fiber, but without the surface texture of peel-ply CF that typically comes on Golden-made Spydercos. The Taichung-made Spydercos often have a G10/CF laminate, which is also described in the catalog page above. I wouldn't say that the laminate is "poor man's" CF, but it's less expensive than solid CF (whether peel-ply or smooth).

For clarification, the CF on the Caly3 and Caly3.5 is *not* poor man's carbon fiber. It's solid carbon fiber, but without the surface texture of peel-ply CF that typically comes on Golden-made Spydercos. The Taichung-made Spydercos often have a G10/CF laminate, which is also described in the catalog page above. I wouldn't say that the laminate is "poor man's" CF, but it's less expensive than solid CF (whether peel-ply or smooth).

LoL, yeah poor man's CF is on the Buck Nobleman , go go CF graphic!

HKS had some in stock today if anyone got the email. I was able to get one, but man i missed out on the Knifeworks pricing, almost $40 more from HKS...

Back