LOOK! Stunning New Case Knives

What do I mean by stunning? What I mean is they are nothing like anything you've ever seen from Case before as far as I know.

Take a look at these S35VN flippers here. or at KnifeCenter here.

I've failed badly.... I promise to buy some Case knives. I've been meaning too, and at least one of these are on the list! How can I be a knife collector without a Case? My bad.

Last edited:
Interesting knives... but even more interesting, today I learned "that" Zac Brown was behind Southern Grind :eek:

The materials don't bother me at all seeing as there are many quality manufacturers using aluminum handles that hold up well.
It's the 200 dollar price tag! A little too 50 dollar Kershaw-like for that amount.
I'll wait till the closeouts on this one for half the price seeing as I'm a fan of Southern Grind and would like to have one just for the fun of it.

Ewww, aluminum frame-lock. :thumbsdown:

I like frame-locks, and flippers are okay, but aluminum for a spring? Yuck. :mad:

Titanium def would have been nicer but it does have a "stainless insert" according to the 2nd video.

As far as aluminum would go, I suppose it depends on WHAT KIND of aluminum. Aluminum can be pretty tough. Ford is even using it in the bed of it's trucks now and it's been used on airplanes for a long time.

These are interesting, but I am more interested in their new traditionally styled assisted openers. First up is the Mid Folding Hunter and if I wasn’t broke I would get one even though I prefer a bit larger blade.

I love my traditional Case knives. I also love my modern ZT, Spyderco, Steel Will, Benchmade and Cold Steel knives.

A modern Case flipper in S35VN for $200 isn’t near the top of my must buy list though. Just too many tried and true knives available with better materials and less expensive IMO.

Cool that Case is trying new things though...

Looks nice, but I think the price point is above what the market will bear given how typical the design is. There's lots of room for more knife designs, but the general utility flipper market is saturated as hell. As noted above, it's a very "$50 Kershaw" look, even if they're ultimately nicer. They should be targeting specific contexts of use rather than trying to toss their net so wide with the vague "general use" context, which is where EVERYONE tries to go "fishing" for customers. Where you'll find customers these days is in the nooks and crannies where there's less competition from experienced industry juggernauts. The departure itself is bold, but the offering is timid.

Looks nice, but I think the price point is above what the market will bear given how typical the design is. There's lots of room for more knife designs, but the general utility flipper market is saturated as hell. As noted above, it's a very "$50 Kershaw" look, even if they're ultimately nicer. They should be targeting specific contexts of use rather than trying to toss their net so wide with the vague "general use" context, which is where EVERYONE tries to go "fishing" for customers. Where you'll find customers these days is in the nooks and crannies where there's less competition from experienced industry juggernauts. The departure itself is bold, but the offering is timid.
I agree. There might be some that will pay that price because it is a Case and because it is new...but not sure how they are going to appeal to the broader (and totally saturated) flipper market.

I promise to buy some Case knives. I've been meaning too, . . . how can I be a knife collector without a Case?
That's not a Case.
This is a Case
IMG_3279.jpg

And these
IMG_3263.jpg
Don't get me started on why I wouldn't go for those other . . . things.
Case if you want to make a big leap forward for me (us), I don't even need a locking or one handed knife, which you already make . . . just make me a big O' SINGLE BLADE Trapper with some serious steel in it . . . not S35 . . . that's OK I guess but give me some M4 or failing that how about some CTS-XHP . . . since Cold Steel is giving up on it (big mistake Cold Steel what the freak are you thinking ? ? ? ) there ought to be plenty CTS-XHP around for bucks off for Case to use. :thumbsup:

Thick bladed, anodized aluminum handled, short pocket clipped . . .
Nah dude, nah.

Do we know what the street price will be? A Case traditional is generally discounted 30-35% buy the usual online suspects.

If these knives ultimately retail for $130-150 based on current Case pricing, it is still a bit pricy but closer to reality. I might bite at $100-ish on clearance or super sale....

The departure itself is bold, but the offering is timid.

I agree with this, I'd like to have seen titanium scales and an M390 blade...but the tanto blade is all mine. It has a serious street look to it and S35VN is in no way a bad steel.

I think this is def a bold move to get people to consider all of Case knives. I want a few traditional folders and have been on the fence. This is it. I'm in.

That's not a Case.
This is a Case
View attachment 947923

And these
View attachment 947924
Don't get me started on why I wouldn't go for those other . . . things.
Case if you want to make a big leap forward for me (us), I don't even need a locking or one handed knife, which you already make . . . just make me a big O' SINGLE BLADE Trapper with some serious steel in it . . . not S35 . . . that's OK I guess but give me some M4 or failing that how about some CTS-XHP . . . since Cold Steel is giving up on it (big mistake Cold Steel what the freak are you thinking ? ? ? ) there ought to be plenty CTS-XHP around for bucks off for Case to use. :thumbsup:

Thick bladed, anodized aluminum handled, short pocket clipped . . .
Nah dude, nah.

I want both. Spending a few months clearing up some bills and then I'll be in the market for Case Knives that cost $300+. I want nothing but the best.

Last edited:
how about some CTS-XHP . . . since Cold Steel is giving up on it (big mistake Cold Steel what the freak are you thinking ? ? ? )

Availability. They couldn’t get enough XHP to keep up with demand so they had to switch to something else. The easier to source S35VN was the next best thing. Almost as good a steel IMO...

I'd buy nice modern traditional from them, but I don't see the point in getting a flipper frame lock from them. (Give me a Ti+Micarta or CF 3.5 Slippy with a clip and I'll carry one) And AluminIUM is basically used by Rockstead in their frame lock, so they probably did their research and it's not gonna break after 10 flips. Anyway, pretty boring looking knife in a saturated market.

Back