LOOK! Stunning New Case Knives

just make me a big O' SINGLE BLADE Trapper with some serious steel in it . . . not S35 . . . that's OK I guess but give me some M4 or failing that how about some CTS-XHP
While I disagree with your "That's not a Case" idea that Case must only make traditional knives... How about a big ol' SINGLE BLADE trapper in 154CM? Cuz they made that (Case Backpocket), and they're still available (I just got one for what I feel is a fine price).

5OwgQEL.jpg

While I disagree with your "That's not a Case" idea that Case must only make traditional knives... How about a big ol' SINGLE BLADE trapper in 154CM? Cuz they made that (Case Backpocket), and they're still available (I just got one for what I feel is a fine price).

5OwgQEL.jpg
. . . er I can't believe I get to use it twice in one thread but :

Nah dude, nah.

The back pocket is big but the handle is too reminisent of the wide slab sided things the market is flooded with, which is the very reason I reach for one of my many Trappers . . . when I get enough of the poor ergos of that made for carring in a pocket and using as an after thought genre.

I can post a photo series of what I mean but most here are tired of looking at it.
No the Trapper handle is pretty much perfection.

The Case Trapper, would certainly be a candidate for higher end steel. I believe it's their most popular model.

This is not a direction i like to see case going at all.

It's not even about me not liking framelock flippers or the looks of these awfully ugly things they came up with, they just need to stick to their wheelhouse.

Modern folders are fine, but the list of American companies making decent traditional slipjoints has been slowly getting shorter since the turn of the century and i don't like it.
I think case has a good place in the traditional knife market, and they don't belong in the modern knife world.

Framelock flippers are not the be all end all, and there's no reason case should jump on the band wagon.

In my opinion, if Case wanted to make a truly bold move, they'd design some modern folders that incorporate a traditional aesthetic. If you're gonna' make it a flipper, why not make a flipper that still has jigged bone scales and nickel silver bolsters despite having a more modern outline? Maybe give it a thumbhole shaped like an oversized nail nick. :D I think there's some room for modern knives that draw heavy aesthetic influence from traditional knives, and I don't think that's a thing that's been done much to date. Using fancy-pants natural materials on a modern knife has certainly been done plenty, but that's not the same as creating a fusion of modern and traditional. We've done space-age modern materials for scales on traditional patterns, why not do the reverse?

In my opinion, if Case wanted to make a truly bold move, they'd design some modern folders that incorporate a traditional aesthetic. If you're gonna' make it a flipper, why not make a flipper that still has jigged bone scales and nickel silver bolsters despite having a more modern outline? Maybe give it a thumbhole shaped like an oversized nail nick. :D I think there's some room for modern knives that draw heavy aesthetic influence from traditional knives, and I don't think that's a thing that's been done much to date. Using fancy-pants natural materials on a modern knife has certainly been done plenty, but that's not the same as creating a fusion of modern and traditional. We've done space-age modern materials for scales on traditional patterns, why not do the reverse?
I totally agree.

As an example, Lion Steel’s take on traditional knives looks amazing IMO....

Why not do something similar in M390, add some Titanium bolsters and liners, some cool jigged bone a la current Case traditionals and whatever locking mechanism that makes sense based on the design? I would have no problem dropping $200+ for something like that. And I say that as a Case traditional fan as I look at the 3 Case knives on my night table (Trapper, Peanut and Texas Toothpick) all in bone. :)

It's not even about me not liking framelock flippers or the looks of these awfully ugly things they came up with, they just need to stick to their wheelhouse.

Modern folders are fine, but the list of American companies making decent traditional slipjoints has been slowly getting shorter since the turn of the century and i don't like it.
I think case has a good place in the traditional knife market, and they don't belong in the modern knife world.

Framelock flippers are not the be all end all, and there's no reason case should jump on the band wagon.

I remember when people got all pissed off at Porsche back in 2002 when they came out with the Cayanne SUV. Purists did not want to see a sports car company making an SUV. It was "not a direction they would like to see Porsche going at all," to paraphrase.
Porsche had to branch out because the sports car market had slowed, and introducing a "bread and butter" car to the lineup gave them the cash flow to keep doing what they did best... build sports cars. 16 years later, they haven't gotten rid of any of the cars they were making then, and have stayed true to their roots.

I suspect Case is doing the same. Branching out into something with appeal in a hot market, and knives that may have more automated production with bigger profit margins*, is going to give them the cash flow to continue making bone scales slip joints.

Evolve or die. It's basic economic Darwinism.

*My suspicion, nothing solid to back it up.

Last edited:

I don't see anything wrong with Case making traditional knives AND modern knives. I wouldn't say that they don't belong in the modern knife world. The very few knife nuts on this forum aren't really representative of the general, common non-knife population. I bet if they put these out in the aisles at your local Wally world, they would sell quite well. Especially here in the south, where many folks hunt and fish. I can see it now..."Look! Case has some new knives out! I think I'm gonna get one for my dad. Hell, I'll get one for myself too."

This is a different twist, but I like it. I don't think anything of the sort exists out there right now.

I don't see anything wrong with Case making traditional knives AND modern knives. I wouldn't say that they don't belong in the modern knife world. The very few knife nuts on this forum aren't really representative of the general, common non-knife population. I bet if they put these out in the aisles at your local Wally world, they would sell quite well. Especially here in the south, where many folks hunt and fish. I can see it now..."Look! Case has some new knives out! I think I'm gonna get one for my dad. Hell, I'll get one for myself too.".
not at those prices though

case and zac brown, buy our names. here's last decades tech at 4x the market. and we've got plenty more where that came from.

Not a spectacular looker Imho, I cant believe it took them so long-their timing is perfect?? now they have Kizer,WE,Steel Will,etc...to contend with maybe they should just stick to old school traditionals.sorry I would normally be excited but ,just seems too little ,too late

case and zac brown, buy our names. here's last decades tech at 4x the market. and we've got plenty more where that came from.
I don't know about that.
I think the average person who buys the case name buys their case knife from the display at the local hardware store, otherwise they're probably a knife nut that doesn't just buy a name.

Damn, I didn't see the $200 price tag... I thought they would be Case knife prices...:D
I would just have to look at the product and decide relative to the price (price-value thing). I used to think Case slippies were expensive and then GEC came into the picture and I pretty much ignored them until I had a chance to consider the product more closely. Same approach would be for Case and modern influenced slippies or moderns that look like a slippie design like the Boker. This is the broadening of product that they need to consider and the $200 number is a bit high in my opinion.

I absolutely agree and it seems like the potential for that market has a lot of room to grow.

I think at 200 bucks Case is going to be stuck with a lot of unsold knives. They don't look good and they have nothing you can't get better for the price.

Back