Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

I'm curious what kind of surface you're gonna be cutting on.
Could use piece of wood, cross cut or split. For a little while, I considered carrying a cutting board as a backplate in my backpack. Just not worth it unless I was backpacking in a foreign country again (traveling a lot by bus). I've definitely had my share of using a pocket knife. Not a fan.
If I wanted one for campfire prep, I would really consider the Gerber freescape.
I think it's be a good option especially because it allows for knuckles when using a cutting surface. (Opposite of a kukri)

TOPS Pasayten in 154cm. John
+1

OP questions:
-Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping hunting trips?
-What do you guys prefer?

About "tactical kitchen knife", TOPS Pasayten Light Traveler is the classic standard one.
Blade Length- 5.25"
Blade Thickness- .13"/.14"
Price- $140.

Here is an online comparison article:

"It comes with a very practical and high quality, adjustable Kydex sheath and it is made standard with 154CM Steel, an amazing stainless that strongly resists rusting yet takes an edge easily and is soft enough to be durable and resist chipping. The knife is twice cryo treated, too, and this perhaps explains the knife’s almost preternatural ability to hold an edge. Last year, I harvested two deer, a dozen hares and grouse and on the homestead we butchered 100 chickens. I processed them all with the Pasayten and it remained functionally sharp through all that work without even needing an edge touch up. The amazingly comfortable and versatile handle allows the knife to be used in any position and in reverse it’s sort of like an elongated ulu, and it is unbeatable for foraging and butchering game. It is a hair more slender at the spine but equally well balanced and weighs about an ounce less–still very tough but a little more graceful in the hand."
https://cliffseruntine.wordpress.co...bravo-vortex-vs-tops-pasayten-6-months-later/

fullsizeoutput_60.jpeg
pasaytenlitetravelertf-m.jpg

Last edited:
Good thread. I’m considering a Spyderco Military for camp cooking needs. I like the idea of being able to fold it away.

Full upswept skinner
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product
Svord%20Curved%20Skinner%20-%205.75%20Inches%20-%20Mahogany%20Handle%20Model%20%20677BB%20copy.jpg

Slight upswept general purpose
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product
Svord%20General%20Purpose%20Onfe%20-%206.25%20Inches%20-%20Mahogany%20Handle%20-%20Brass%20Rivets%20Model%20870BB%20copy.jpg

Big bellied Bowie
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_product=16&controller=product
Svord%20Deluxe%20Hunter%20Knife%20-%20Model%20280H%20copy.1.jpg

All 3 good for basic butchery & food prep
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=20&controller=category

Last edited:
I don't really like the Mora Companion for food prep. Its a little thick, not a great slicer. I often use it in that role, but I don't have anything better. That plastic sheath is so handy for a camp knife....It works OK, and I am taking mine camping this weekend, but a better slicer would be nice. I always fancied the Spyderco Lil'Temperance as a food prep knife, but it seems a little pricey.
Edit: the Lil' Temperance is a small folder, not sure what knife I was thinking of. The original Temperance?

instead of a mora companion - which is 0.1", you can get a basic which is only 0.08"

if you really want the ultimate slicer, 0.05" mora 090 fillet 3.5" stainless is the ticket - my wife loves it in the kitchen
timthumb.php

... think about that for a second - everyone who loves the companion - imagine it's HALF the thickness ! and it can bend and always bounces back for more

last point, if camping involves fishing - you're in a true state of zen

Last edited:
^This!

Mora Flex or Fishing Comfort. Thin, ffg and lightweight. 1.3mm spine with a distal taper.

The Mora 090 is the same knife as the original Craftline Flex which I keep in my lunchbox for food prep at work.

More BK15 love, bring it back Becker!!

2me3hfs.jpg

It's like a tough, poor man's South Fork. Especially after it's been stripped and thinned out. :thumbsup:

In the folder department, my Military has seen plenty of food prep action as well.

Does "food prep" mean cutting onions and tomatoes on a cutting board, spreading peanut butter, or carving meat off a bone? For working an a board, I like a knife that I can get the heel of the blade down onto the board. That means no, or very little, finger guard or quillion. And a deep enough blade to keep my knuckles out of the way. A blade with a lot of belly can work in a pinch, but it's not ideal. For cutting greasy meat, something to keep my fingers off the blade is welcome. For spreading peanut butter, a broad spear point is great. The more I use my fixed blades camping, the more I want to try a Canadian pattern.

For that very reasons I like the Kephart more as general purpose bushcraft knife however, for outdoor camping food preparation my knives preferences go to blades profiles like Canadian style, Nessmuks and better yet, Pasayten's shape designs.

wood shavings and other wood working tasks?

Last edited:
As long as this thread is still chugging along here's another vote for a TRC Splinter 120. Mine works very well as both a firewood tool and even in a commercial kitchen as a utility blade. It's a versatile bushcraft knife that's hard to match. It's pretty to look at; the green micarta is stunning.

I'm also taken with the tube fasteners for strapping to a shaft to make a spear. Nothing I've seen beats it.

a4ujX3J.jpg

Last edited:
TOPS Knives Frog Market Special XL Green Canvas Micarta Handle
TOPS-FMSXL-TPFMSXL.jpg
Blade Length- 7.5"
Blade Thickness- .092"
Steel- 1095
Price- $132.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOPS Knives Frog Market Special - Tan Canvas Micarta Handle
TOPS-FMS-TPFMS05.jpg
Blade Length- 5.25"
Blade Thickness- .062"
Steel- 1095
Price- $86.

Last edited:
https://s26.postimg.org/bvax4amft/IMG_0806.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/m5dc3mcc9/IMG_1389_1.jpg
I really enjoy using Old Hickory knives. They cut well and are inexpensive.
>

It surprises me that it took 55 posts before anybody made this suggestion. Old Hickory has sabre-ground butcher-style knives ranging in size from 6” to 14”, plus skinners, slicers and boning knives all of which have application in food prep.

Dexter-Russell Green River knives come in a similar range of types and sizes, but are more likely to be flat ground. Of all these, my favorite is the Green River 4 1/2” fish knife, shown on the left.

159636B2-901C-44FB-AEF8-42B430532A7B.jpeg

Moras work better in food prep than a lot of people would like to think. The scandi grand may split a hard vegetable like a raw potato or an apple rather than slicing it cleanly. But a sharp Mora will easily slice most of what it encounters, and your dinner will still make it to the table.

The BK15 may be a great knife for food prep, but it is a lousy suggestion, because you can’t have one.

For travel and camping, I use a Cold Steel Roach Belly and a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife.

Both have sturdy sheaths and are stainless for a super low maintenance travel knife.

VERY slicey and the raised handles are great for food prep.

Dirt cheap too! I'm not afraid to lend them out if someone else wants to take on some kitchen duties.

For travel and camping, I use a Cold Steel Roach Belly and a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife.

Both have sturdy sheaths and are stainless for a super low maintenance travel knife.

VERY slicey and the raised handles are great for food prep.

Dirt cheap too! I'm not afraid to lend them out if someone else wants to take on some kitchen duties.

Back