Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

My next fixed blade will be the Bark River Kephart. Blade Length: 5.32" (135mm)
Blade Thickness: 0.093" (2.36mm)
3V
kephart-5-3v-green-canvas-micarta-299.95__86973.1582049740.jpg
That’s a very pleasantly proportioned Kephart. Beautiful.

My ‘non-kitchen knife food prep knives’ are the Cold Steel Outdoorsman Lite, Cold Steel Kobun (yes, a tanto), and the Mora Kansbol. Efficient? Not really. Do they get the job done? Absolutely.

Any new insight on this topic? Good fixed blade specifically for food prep on a cutting board to use during camping. No interest in a do-it-all knife. Like someone said, I am not using this thing to baton wood. Looking for a good thin blade that slices food well.

I think less is more, I like bird and trout knives, thin and more of a paring knife size, I think they can do the job of a kitchen knife. Any thoughts? I have even heard others use a filet knife for food cutting, however they would not be too good for going through tough stuff say like carrots and potatoes. Or at the very least a thin Kephart, maybe Bark River mini Kephart. I also have an older Maverick Scout that I had bought in Blind horse days just for that purpose, but yet to be used as such. One of the good deals I found was in the kitchen knives section on the exchange, good stuff there, I got a paring knife in AEBL.

Last edited:
Any new insight on this topic? Good fixed blade specifically for food prep on a cutting board to use during camping. No interest in a do-it-all knife. Like someone said, I am not using this thing to baton wood. Looking for a good thin blade that slices food well.

North Arm Knives mallard. It’s an s35vn paring style knife with a kydex sheath. I bought it for camping kitchen but it earned a place in my regular kitchen knife block.

North_arm_knives_canadian_made_bird_knife.jpg

And $100 CAD is inexpensive for s35vn.

https://northarmknives.com/product/mallard-bird-and-trout-knife/?c=e38de74562d1

Last edited:
I think less is more, I like bird and trout knives, thin and more of a paring knife size, I think they can do the job of a kitchen knife. Any thoughts? I have even heard others use a filet knife for food cutting, however they would not be too good for going through tough stuff say like carrots and potatoes. Or at the very least a thin Kephart, maybe Bark River mini Kephart. I also have an older Maverick Scout that I had bought in Blind horse days just for that purpose, but yet to be used as such. One of the good deals I found was in the kitchen knives section on the exchange, good stuff there, I got a paring knife in AEBL.

When I used to travel, I routinely would be able to get by with just a fillet knife - but just not a super flexy one.

I prefer a 7" Dexter Russell with a bit of spine to it

A paring knife is also just about all you need as well, to get most kitchen / food prep jobs done

Now, I have added a Cold Steel Roach Belly and Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife to the travel mix.

They are stainless and come with their own hard plastic sheaths (like a mora), so they travel easily.

Kershaw made various blade trader sets that could include either knives and/or tools. Not my pic.image.jpeg

IDK, when I've gone camping/backpacking, I usually just carried freeze/air dried pkged food that requires water and a spoon (or spork) to eat but not a knife (exept to open the pkg).

I don't need to chop wood when I go camping/backpacking either because I use a JetBoil stove to cook my food. So, I don't have to chop/baton wood to make a fire, which is contrary to the "leave no trace" doctrine anyway.

As a result, when I've gone camping/backing, all I've ever needed to carry is my Swiss Army (Victorinox) Explorer. I've got 4 (or 5) of them scattered about in various kits. One of the best knives I've every bought IMO.

Last edited:
IDK, when I've going camping/backpacking, I usually just carry freeze/air dried pkged food that requires water and a spoon (or spork) to eat but not a knife (exept to open the pkg).

I don't need to chop wood when I go camping/backpacking either because I use a JetBoil stove to cook my food. So, I don't have to chop/baton wood to make a fire (which is contrary to the "leave no trace" doctrine anyway.

As a result, when I've gone camping/backing, all I've ever needed to carry is my Swiss Army (Victorinox) Explorer. I've got 4 (or 5) of them scattered about in various kits. One of the best knives I've every bought IMO.

There is definately a market for camping with a trailer and spending some time creating a really nice meal over a wood fire.

This kind of elaborate set up.

Last edited:
There is definately a market for camping with a trailer and spending some time creating a really nice meal over a wood fire.

In understand that but I never did that kind of "cooking" when I camped out.

That also includes those times that I pulled a 22' trailer, hauled a 4k# camper on the back of my truck and pulled an off-road trailer behind my FJ Cruiser.

I don't understand how people can use a scandi grind mora as a food prep knife and think it's great. They are horrible at food prep in my experience! That scandi just wedges and splits everything. And true scandi edges are so fragile. Yes you can make a meal with them if you have to, but there are better tools for the job. A thin knife with a full convex or flat grind will be much better.

If I'm car camping I just use a kitchen knife and a chopping board for food prep. That's what they were designed for. Backpacking or if I have to travel light, my stainless Opinel No. 9 does a great job doing kitchen work.

I highly recommend the Mora floating knife with plain blade as a camping/backpacking meal prep knife.

It floats, is very thin (not quite fillet knife thin but could easily fillet fish, good stainless steel, and great grip.

And about 25 dollars.

6F207716-033A-4163-B826-788CC8F180D7.jpegB4D91486-E893-404E-9EB0-91C99E82EDFB.jpeg

I don't understand how people can use a scandi grind mora as a food prep knife and think it's great. They are horrible at food prep in my experience! That scandi just wedges and splits everything. And true scandi edges are so fragile. Yes you can make a meal with them if you have to, but there are better tools for the job. A thin knife with a full convex or flat grind will be much better.

If I'm car camping I just use a kitchen knife and a chopping board for food prep. That's what they were designed for. Backpacking or if I have to travel light, my stainless Opinel No. 9 does a great job doing kitchen work.

I keep hearing this bad rap on Moras for food prep, but have never found it to be the case. To be sure, a Mora will split something like a crisp apple before it can slice through. For softer foods, though, if the knife is sharp, it will cut just fine. It might not take translucent tissue-thin slices off a ripe tomato, but it will slice it up into edible pieces.

For food prep in the woods I would definitely take one of these two (top two). Affordable, tough (don't shy from the occasional starter shavings) and most important (IMO), they have a long cutting edge and a full flat grind...
No need for resharpening twice in an evening. They were my kitchen knives for years (this is not a reference for the woods, I know) but they stayed efficient with prolonged sharpening intervals. I suppose they can easily cope with a weekend, or a short holiday in the woods, without frantic resharpening. If ever needed, they are as easy to sharpen as it gets.

Last edited:
For food prep in the woods I would definitely take one of these two (top two). Affordable, tough (don't shy from the occasional starter shavings) and most important (IMO), they have a long cutting edge and a full flat grind...
No need for resharpening twice in an evening. They were my kitchen knives for years (this is not a reference for the woods, I know) but they stayed efficient with prolonged sharpening intervals. I suppose they can easily cope with a weekend, or a short holiday in the woods, without frantic resharpening. If ever needed, they are as easy to sharpen as it gets.
So what are they?

Sorry, I thought they were all too well known. It's Cold Steel's entry level range of normal knives (from ten years ago).
Top one : Long Hunter
Second from top : Western Hunter

Back