Looking for a decent "Man Bag"

About the only time I carry one is at gunshows, and then I stick with the old Army map case my Platoon Sergeant gave me when I reported to B/2-327 INF as the 2d Platoon Leader 34 years ago in 1985. We called this piece of equipment the "fag bag" back then. Couldn't get away with that now.
Map%2520Case.JPG

Last edited:
That was my "book bag" when I was in grade school. But it was an earlier WWII model or at least Korea. Wish I would have saved the plexiglass (or plastic?) map storage part. Quite honestly, I wouldn't have been caught dead carrying a man bag 30 years ago.

L leghog said "We called this piece of equipment the "fag bag" back then. Couldn't get away with that now." But people still "think it".

Last edited:
Several months have passed and I am totally pleased with the Duluth bag choice. It gets used, but not more than once a week generally unless I am going out of town. It gets carried when I carry my 8" tablet computer. I carried it to the Social Security office a while back when I knew I might be waiting for hours potentially.

Last edited:
I stick to Saddleback leather for a medium or large urban bag or to Galco for a man's bag :)

I use a Mountainsmith lumbar pack w/ the additional shoulder strap. Mostly to carry my camera & lenses, but also as a hiking bag. If I'm just knocking around I use the shoulder strap and tuck the belt straps behind the padding on the back. If I'm going for a hike I use both. (Picture snagged from the web)

c1f3d61da17c9e4855f5a178e87b31b8.jpg

I use a Mountainsmith lumbar pack w/ the additional shoulder strap. Mostly to carry my camera & lenses, but also as a hiking bag. If I'm just knocking around I use the shoulder strap and tuck the belt straps behind the padding on the back. If I'm going for a hike I use both. (Picture snagged from the web)

c1f3d61da17c9e4855f5a178e87b31b8.jpg
I used to be that thin! :D

uO890zX.jpg

I rarely need to have a manbag and when I do it’s mostly in the camping sort of scenarios. Now that it’s been really hot I have been carrying my Millican bag for water and other relief items (me and dog). I love this bag because it is normal size in wide/tall aspect but it’s not very deep. Because of this the bag doesn’t look goofy even when it’s half empty. Plenty of pockets and compartments for any gizmos you want to carry along the day. For me the backpack beats the manbag for comfort all day any day (mostly for the weight distribution).

I would like to say I dont carry a murse per se, but I do carry lunch to work and in it my sunglasses, extra keys, Leatherman and flashlight. After working all these years I dont like going out to lunch anymore so this is the latest one that has worked for me. It also works when we go on picnics or such. Mods: Please delete the link if it's not allowed.
https://highspeeddaddy.com/products/hsd-lunch-bag?variant=26306692939840 Tactical_Lunch_Bag_Black_Front_1200x.jpg

What do you prefer more guys, backpacks or off-shoulder bags? Usually, whatever I need to carry on a daily basis fits into my pockets (my wallet, keys, phone, handkerchief, change). However, when I go to work, I need to take my laptop with me, that's why I'm looking for a comfortable bag for it. I've seen many bags on https://backpacks.global/compare/features/college-backpacks-with-laptop-compartment/, but backpacks still seem more reasonable because I like having numerous pockets, so I can organize my things. Also, I want to put less strain on my neck and shoulders, and I'm trying to avoid off shoulder-bags. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, please, let me know. Thanks!
REI Beyonder backpack, on 1/2 price closeout. 3 external pockets, 2 internal pockets, padded zippered laptop sleeve, side access zipper, good carry handle, comfortable brushed fabric

Back