M4 Millie--satisfied or dissappointed

M4 Millie, are you satisfied or disappointed with your?

• Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi Folks-

I have been carrying and using my example for a little over a week now -

It is just a great knife - I am very pleased with the workmanship and quality of the piece.

I did dis-assemble the knife, cleaned the pivot up and applied some Silkolene Pro RG2 grease to the pivot and lockbar detent area.

The knife was smooth enough as delivered, but being a knife nut, I of course had to check it out and put in my preferred lube.

I have cut up cardboard and opened boxes with the knife, also I opened some large bags of topsoil with it. It stayed sharp, but I did relent and sharpen the edge up - the M4 really took a nice edge on my duo-fold.

I am 100% completely satisfied and happy with my new Spyderco.

I suppose it would be tough to please everyone, but I am glad they try!

best regards -

mqqn

...I did dis-assemble the knife, cleaned the pivot up and applied some Silkolene Pro RG2 grease to the pivot and lockbar detent area.

The knife was smooth enough as delivered, but being a knife nut, I of course had to check it out and put in my preferred lube.

You know that this voids you warranty.

Thanks, Vassili.

Thanks, Vassili.

Are you kidding? Spyderco is my favorite knife company but if they ever tried to void a warranty by claiming they think they can tell I've disassembled the knife I'd be very upset. Their fit and finish is excellent but it can always be improved by a little TLC from the end user who knows what he's doing.

Thanks, Vassili.

Hi Vassili -

Yes, I am aware that. The knife was perfect, and I am willing to take the risk associated with removing the three small torx and the T15 on the pivot lol....

It's not rocket surgery ;)

If, at some point in the future, the knife needs work, it will undoubtedly be due to my extensive use of the knife, and not a defect. :cool:

BTW - I still occasionally use my 15 degree angle blocks I made after watching your sharpening video. I don't need them now, but they sure helped me learn how to hand-sharpen a knife. Thanks!

best regards -

mqqn

Last edited:
Are you kidding? Spyderco is my favorite knife company but if they ever tried to void a warranty by claiming they think they can tell I've disassembled the knife I'd be very upset. Their fit and finish is excellent but it can always be improved by a little TLC from the end user who knows what he's doing.

Here it is:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44631

And even it is out of sync with printed paperwork came with every knife, they make it pretty clear.

Spyderco is not what it was few years before now...

Thanks, Vassili.

Mine arrived yesterday.........an absolute beauty and worth every cent:thumbup::)

Steven

I really like mine. This is my first experience with M4 and my first Reeve's lock besides a Leek. I am very happy with the knife. My knife came pretty sharp out of the box. I have not studied it to see if the grind is perfectly even. I have added it to my EDC rotation.

Does anyone know how many were made?

I really like mine. This is my first experience with M4 and my first Reeve's lock besides a Leek. I am very happy with the knife. My knife came pretty sharp out of the box. I have not studied it to see if the grind is perfectly even. I have added it to my EDC rotation.

Does anyone know how many were made?

There were 500 pieces in the run for Knifeworks though as I understand it Spyderco made pieces for those signed up as collectors so that might add a couple hundred more. Saw one on Ebay with a #075 but I'm pretty sure I've seen other collector #'s on other models in the 200 range

There were 500 pieces in the run for Knifeworks though as I understand it Spyderco made pieces for those signed up as collectors so that might add a couple hundred more. Saw one on Ebay with a #075 but I'm pretty sure I've seen other collector #'s on other models in the 200 range

I don't claim to have any direct knowledge of how this "collector club" practice works, but I always imagined if there was a 500 sprint run and there were 200 CC, then the first 200 of the 500 were numbered for collectors and the remaining 300 were not and the total was still 500.

Can anyone confirm or explain better?

Regards,

Rich

Here it is:

And even it is out of sync with printed paperwork came with every knife, they make it pretty clear.

Thanks, Vassili.

I read Kristi's post and I don't see a problem. If they can tell you have taken your knife apart then you have certainly goofed it up somehow.

I've taken apart several of my knives multiple times and have left no evidence at all they were ever disassembled...but I know what I'm doing...and I'm willing to accept the consequences if I break something in the process.

Here it is:

Thanks, Vassili.

You're right, they're not...they are better. Better design, better production, better customer service...

I can tell you, if you are interested in anything other than baiting and trolling, that I have sent knives back for warranty service in the past year or so to several knife companies that discourage owner disassembly after I had disassembled and reassembled them. I have had zero push-back. Why? Most likely because the problem had nothing to do with my disassembling the knife. In spite of your posting, most companies do not operate on a "gotcha" model. If they did, they'd be out of business PDQ. :thumbdn:

I voted satisfied, but after the first rust spots started showing up the love is waning. No turning back now.

The steel is holding up great by the way but I think a stainless M4 would make for a better folder alloy.

I voted satisfied, but after the first rust spots started showing up the love is waning. No turning back now.

The steel is holding up great by the way but I think a stainless M4 would make for a better folder alloy.

Mine is showing some spotting, too - no biggie, the love's not waning. ;) (My GB hasn't shown any spotting, oddly.) The thing about M4 is that it's tool steel and there really isn't such a thing as stainless M4. There may be an S90V version of this configuration some day, which would offer stainless-ness.

Some other companies coat M4 and M2 blades. The thing about coating is that the only corrosion that really affects performance is on the edge, and you obviously can't coat the edge, so it's just cosmetics...but I think this is why Benchmade (for example) coats all M2 and M4 blades - they don't have to deal with blade staining concerns from owners. OTOH, until they started using DLC, their coatings always wore quite badly so the blades looked like dogmeat anyway. :D

I don't claim to have any direct knowledge of how this "collector club" practice works, but I always imagined if there was a 500 sprint run and there were 200 CC, then the first 200 of the 500 were numbered for collectors and the remaining 300 were not and the total was still 500.

Can anyone confirm or explain better?

Regards,

Rich

Since Roger at Knifeworks presold 500 pcs (at least that's my understanding) I would imagine any collector knives would be in addition to that number

I'm watching the SF Giants World Series parade right now. Here's the deal. Not everybody likes the Giants but it doesn't change the fact that they're World Champions of baseball, until next October. Not everybody likes this Knifeworks Exclusive Mil, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the World Champion framelock folder, basically until further FREAKIN' notice! Folks, it really IS THAT DAMM WONDERFUL. Score one of these. Geeesh, Spyderco's marketing department would be a bunch of drooling idiots if they didn't somehow figure out how to make this model regular production. Red G-10 or CF or something. This model CRIES OUT for a regular SKU.

Don't flub this. Sal, you have re-invented the wheel. Go with it. :)

Since Roger at Knifeworks presold 500 pcs (at least that's my understanding) I would imagine any collector knives would be in addition to that number

Based off previous sprints they make what they say they make (500 in this case) and the CC numbered knives are removed from that. As the list is not full AND not everyone gets the sprints it is a much smaller number than 200.

I was contacted by Knifeworks because they had extra knives and I was on the overflow list. I said I would take a knife, and when it arrived today, I was pretty happy.

I love the texture on the G10 and the action is very smooth. I would say, for a production knife, it does not really get that much better.

Matt

Based off previous sprints they make what they say they make (500 in this case) and the CC numbered knives are removed from that. As the list is not full AND not everyone gets the sprints it is a much smaller number than 200.
That's definitely true of Sprints that are done on Spyderco's dime. The 600, 1200, or whatever number is quoted, includes the CC#d pieces. However, I'm not at all sure if it's true on sponsored Sprints, especially Golden made ones, and I rather strongly suspect it is not. I could be wrong about that, but it doesn't make sense to me that, if someone wanted to order 500 knives, Spyderco would say "OK, you can order 500, but we'll only ship you 430, because we have 70 Collectors Club members who get all the Sprints."

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

All we need now is a framelock Paramilitary 2 !!!!!

so true, there's not been any integral compression lock for years, i love my ATR TI.

a full TI para with a sexy steel would be great.

Back