M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

Blitzed thru the material faster than an emu on acid. Thanks Mr A. Much M43/Gopte goodness there for sure. Are Gopte still made?

Conservative as I am… tend to favour the M43. Besides, I think Wildmike rocks.

Time to seek blessings from that computer shack in Reno!

PS On a side note does the Manakamana Special pop up lately?

Blitzed thru the material faster than an emu on acid. Thanks Mr A. Much M43/Gopte goodness there for sure. Are Gopte still made?

Conservative as I am… tend to favour the M43. Besides, I think Wildmike rocks.

Time to seek blessings from that computer shack in Reno!

PS On a side note does the Manakamana Special pop up lately?
Don't know about the Gopte but if you order an M43, ask for a thin lightweight
Approximately 25-27oz

Last edited:
Regarding my M43 question. We would prefer a light one. 18" OAL 13" blade. Satisal wood handle. 24-25 Oz.

I just emailed Auntie as above. Asked:

Is such an M43 available? Or is the next lightweight shipment from Nepal expected and when?

Stay tuned...

The lightweight M43's are currently being produced, they ought to be stateside soon.

The lightweight M43s might be in the 15"-17" length range rather than 18". I don't think I've ever seen an 18" M43 posted at less than 27 or 28 oz, and most are heavier than that. Maybe the new batch will be different.

Like others, I wouldn't mind an 18" M43 from HI in the 24-25 oz weight range. I do have a couple like that, but they are actual WWII vintage blades, which tend to be significantly lighter than their HI counterparts.

What does traditional handle mean? And how does one request a custom M43?
My understanding of traditional handle would be stick or rat tail tang. To customize an order, simply contact Ms Yangdu and tell her what you want.

Thanks Mr Azar. Is there a premium on custom orders? If yes, how much, typically?
That I don't know for sure Amko. I've got a custom order now and I didn't check. What ever extra I thought these knives are selling for less than they are worth and whatever extra, if there is, will help the Kamis.

The title of this thread was "help decide on multi functional knife". C'mon folks with Foxy Folly's, YCS etc. I would love to have opinions on these. I confess focusing on M43s and my friend reminds me that he hasn't heard enough dissent yet. Bring it on!

I prefer the BAS for multi purpose, that is the model I use in my pack. Granted, I have a very light one from Lok kami at 15", 17.5oz. It can easily be used as a weapon, and as a tool. As a chopper, it is sufficient for my uses, if I needed a multi use with more chopping power, I would probably grab my ASTK or M43. I know others would suggest a WWII for a multi use, it would probably excel in that role, but it isn't my preference, even though I do have a Kumar WWII in one of my BOBS.

What does traditional handle mean? And how does one request a custom M43?

When I read "traditional handle" I thought it means a handle with the ring around the middle that fits between two fingers and helps to lock the handle into the hand, and prevents the hand from sliding forward onto the blade.

As for your question about the Foxy Folly and YCS for multipurpose knives: The Foxy Folly blade is thin compared to most HI models, so it wouldn't excel as a heavy chopper. The YCS is probably excellent as a chopper, but on the heavy side for some tasks. However, I consider both of those models more as functional art than as users. Why chop wood or cut brush with a FF or YCS, when you could use a KLVUK or a standard M43 or WWII for those purposes?

For a very rough analogy, if you have two cars in your garage, a Ferrari and a Jeep, which one is more suited to driving to work every day in rush hour traffic?

I'm trying to fathom what it would be like to own a Ferrari and if I'd still need to work if I owned one.

A nice jeep would be nice too for that matter. Let me ponder this some.

I'm trying to fathom what it would be like to own a Ferrari and if I'd still need to work if I owned one.

A nice jeep would be nice too for that matter. Let me ponder this some.

You certainly wouldn't still need to work if you sold your Ferrari. Doesn't "your Ferrari" have a nice ring to it, even as a fantasy?

Personally I would much prefer a Jeep: one of those high-end Wrangler models with the big tires. I just haven't been able to justify to myself the initial cost and long term maintenance.

My issue with the Jeep (which I too would prefer) is how to get in and out of the thing and what to do with my ground transportation (wheelchair) once I do get in, if I do get in that is. "Your Ferrari" does indeed have a nice ring.

I need to get me an M43 so I can add something intelligent to this thread. Hard to believe I don't have one.
I have several I would consider for all around but all around is a wide area to address.
I don't fight with knives unless of course it's the only thing around and even then I'd prefer hands, so I lean towards choppers and camp chore duties. Game processing in my earlier life, not so much now days.

The title of this thread was "help decide on multi functional knife". C'mon folks with Foxy Folly's, YCS etc. I would love to have opinions on these. I confess focusing on M43s and my friend reminds me that he hasn't heard enough dissent yet. Bring it on!

ASTK. (Amur Singh Thapa Knife) M43 on steroids. Like the M43 and CAK had a baby, minus the fullers. Doesn't dance as much as the 43, isn't as much of an anchor as the CAK.

WWII. Dedicated tool that can be used as a lopping weapon. Bullnose, no stabby stabby. Excellent drawknife. Didn't care for mine, felt awkward, passed it off to my Uncle and Cousin.

BDC (Burda Daily Carry) Don't have one. General purpose utility daily carry. Looks neat. Have to find reviews on it yourself/others chime in. Could be a good packblade.

Alternative. (If you can scare one up) Gunga Ram/Bonecutter in 15"-18" Dedicated choppers/processors. Bit heavy, doesn't dance. Fairly rare.

If you're going to be processing a lot of wood, get a folding saw. Either a KatanaBoy (folding chainsaw) for large jobs, or a Gomboy for smaller ones. If you're looking for a dedicated backpacking combo, I'd go with the BAS + Gomboy. Combined, they'll weigh less than an M43/ASTK, and you'll expend less energy using them. I should have specified that Wildmike used the M43 in CONJUNCTION with a couple other tools, including a saw. Most likely as a drawknife to save his smaller fixed/folder, I can't recall which it was. Kuks are cool, but they're not superpower invoking.

If I only had to pick one (tearing my nails out to choose) it'd probably be the BAS. Because I'd be carrying a dedicated saw with me. Still be lighter than carrying an M43/ASTK, and I'd expend less energy using them.

So that's my recommendation if you're looking for a bushcrafty/woodsy set. Get a BAS and a folding saw. Don't be scared of the dual handle ones, they're actually pretty neat.

BAS was one of the last firsties (first of a model) I got, and I wish it had been the second. My personal favorites now are tied up. First, BAS and Gunga Ram Special, Second, M43 and Samsher. At third, the ASTK.

Final non-khuk alternatives are the Talwar and Ang Khola Bowie. Both awesome. Talwar for LW, AKB for medium. Saw for heavy.

I'm with you on a lot of what you said Quest. I used a BAS for some sapling removal over the weekend and it felt great! It was a natural to swing! I was using my hatchet prior to the BAS use and decided on the knife. It penatrated better and cut much faster.
I'd also like to add one to your list. I recently purchased a 15" CAK made by Kumar and it really swings and feels similar to my BAS! I was very impressed!

Back