M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

Auntie Yangdu informs me that a shipment of the lightweight M43s may arrive stateside in 3 weeks.

Are these usually 15 - 17"? My friend however prefers 18". Looks like he will need to decide between a lightweight and smaller M43 vs a heavier 18".

Last edited:
What is the spine thickness of these M43s Mr Azar? Taken a crack at splitting any wood yet or is it just saplings so far ;)

What is the spine thickness of these M43s Mr Azar? Taken a crack at splitting any wood yet or is it just saplings so far ;)
Just saplings. "Guessing", approximately 1/4-3/8" thick.
I'm only going by memory not facts. The handle is fatter than what I like. If I got the right feel with the handle, it would be below 27oz. Very light for that length!

You certainly will not go wrong with a BAS. If you've read about it, it's their 2nd best seller. The Ang Khola at 15" is the first! I have both Ang Khola and CAK in 15"!

True that!

I've been intrigued by your Gopte from the get go. 15.5" am I right? Really digging the handle color/boomerang type design and after checking out Red Eagle's vid (the ones you shared earlier, thanks again) I was wondering if they continue to be made. Not that I saw any on a DOTD this year. Perhaps it is time to approach our amazing Auntie for the lowdown...

You certainly will not go wrong with a BAS. If you've read about it, it's their 2nd best seller. The Ang Khola at 15" is the first! I have both Ang Khola and CAK in 15"!

As notoriously contrarian as I am I tend to discount sales figures for purchase decisions. When it comes to khuks I am ruled by my heart more than my head. That Gopte really sings to me.

If you want to spit wood, forget the rest, get a CAK. That's all I use now days. I have to select another, gave it away this year on vacation. I have another already but it's kind of nice, probably will shop for a new one to abuse.

I'm anxious to see these incoming M43's as well. I don't have one myself and a lighter version would be nice. I too would prefer something in the 18" range most for the additional reach. Sometimes tough for me to get close enough to my victim wood to cut it properly.

If you can have ONLY 1 khukuri, it should be an M43! Light weight M43s are only wannabes! Anything else is blasphemy.

If you can have ONLY 1 khukuri, it should be an M43! Light weight M43s are only wannabes! Anything else is blasphemy.
What does your M43 weigh kind Sir?

Mr Bawanna: already have a 16.5" CAK at 31 Oz. It loves most types of wood. A little too much.

"BDC (Burda Daily Carry) Don't have one. General purpose utility daily carry. Looks neat. Have to find reviews on it yourself/others chime in. Could be a good packblade."

I do have one and I absolutely agree with TheQuest. The BDC is something like a smaller version of the M43. Not suited for chopping down trees, but good for just about everything else. They run 12" - 14" in overall length, I believe. Mine is 14" OAL and 18 oz.

The Pen Knife is in the same category: on the small side for an HI blade, but very robust and can punch above its weight.

This Pen Knife is a little beast at 12.5" OAL and 18 oz.

PenKnife12.5in-Kumar18oz-for-Dave-01.jpg

David Mr Azar thanks for the input. The pen knife and Ultimate Fighter photos are super. Thanks for sharing.

I just saw Mr Bookie's custom M43. Great lines, yes?

Mr Bawanna: I hope you have a lightweight M 43 in hand soon!

Newsflash: given the friend's new stated objective of placing a greater priority of bushcraft vs protection against zombies (imagined or otherwise) he is chanting M43, heavy, all the way. Go figure. Talk about a volte face...the customer is king I guess?

Last edited:
Tell him not to worry none about them zombies. I put my Angni Jowala to work soon as I got it. I think I got em all, every last one. Check that off the list.

Sorry, but I don't have a scale to weigh something that light. It is not a lite weight khuk, though.

I'm gonna share this thought with you from approximately 1986 to present. I've had experience with hand made knives....especially hand forged! These were makers from the USA. Members of the ABS.
I'm only familiar with Himalayan Imports since early 2017!....about like you, Amko.
All my "custom orders of "combat Bowie fighters had to be 1/2" thick! They (the makers) use to ask me "Why do you want it so thick?" "They won't brake or lose their edge." Their idea was maximum, 3/8" thick, at the spine...or less!
Long story short, I've got a lot of "heavy" meat cleavers, put away!
You can use thinner, and enjoy, much more,,,...THICKER"!
You do what you want!
It's all about properly tempering the edge and having the spine softer...more flexible!

Everyone has their opinion!
YOU DECIDE AND DO WHAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU!
I've been around the knife industry many, many years!
But not Himalayan Imports!

That's my final take on this forum!!!

Last edited:
You said it Sir!
"Everyone has their opinion!"

My friend is finding it difficult to decide. So many options. All excellent blades. But: The more he looks into HI the more confident he is that an M43 over 30 oz is the way to go. It's all good.

Back