M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

The M43 by way of Canada is finally here! .... The fit on the sheath couldn't be snugger. Reminds me of skintight jeans...takes effort to get 'em off! .....

If you find the tightness annoying try removing one or both of the small blades, the chakma and karda. That provides more "give" on the inner side of the sheath and often is all you need to get a more relaxed fit for the main blade.

The M43 by way of Canada is finally here! It is 31.3 Oz, 5/16"...beautifully balanced and feels lighter (certainly lighter than my CAK) and alive in the hand. Much more weapony than the CAK for sure. My first horn handle as well. The rust on the buttcap, mentioned in another thread, cleaned right up with Autosol and steel wool. Relieved it's back to its pristine state.

Hugely impressed by Kumar's work. The convex grind is perfect.

The fit on the sheath couldn't be snugger. Reminds me of skintight jeans...takes effort to get 'em off!

Thanks to Auntie Yangdu and all at HI and much gratitude to you guys at BF for pitching in with helpful recommendations! So glad I chose the M43. This one doesn't leave my bedside.

Ok I'll quit raving and come quietly now.
Glad the M43 arrived and you enjoying it. They are awesome blades.

Thanks george for the shamless plugs. Lol.

I have more vids but my sony video camera lost a bunch of footage and i have been trying to find it on my mac.

Plus i have been avoidibg the temptarion of the dod's. Lol.

If you find the tightness annoying try removing one or both of the small blades, the chakma and karda. That provides more "give" on the inner side of the sheath and often is all you need to get a more relaxed fit for the main blade.
No David I guess the blade/sheath fit is just right on the Kumar M43. It's my Purna CAK that has a (very) slightly loose sheath.
Edit: I stuck a felt pad (floor protector, rubber) in the throat of the sheath, perfect fit!

Last edited:
Bawanna: have the lightweight M43s come in (Auntie Yangdu mentioned November) and are you still looking at a lightweight 18"? Just checking...

As Bookie famously puts it:
If you can have ONLY 1 khukuri, it should be an M43! Light weight M43s are only wannabes! Anything else is blasphemy.

At 31 Oz my M43 is no lightweight but mine already feels like an extension of the hand. You have to believe me when I say it's beautifully balanced.

Last edited:
I have not heard or seen the lightweight M43's yet. I'm still hoping to have one when they arrive.
Seems Yangdu would have posted some if they were here. I believe they are over due.

On one side of the M43 horn handle there are fine scratches. Do I just live with them as "battle scars" or can they be minimized in any way? They look like cat scratches to me. Friend had a cat at his home in Canada prior to knife shipping to me in India.

Last edited:
Cat scratches on one side of M43 horn handle buffed out gently with fine steel wool!

Question: M43 for food preparation. Will the M43 blade penetrate bone? Edge is not quite shaving sharp, but edge geometry is slice-y!

Personally I'd avoid cutting or chopping bone with it. It may do it but it's really not designed for it and bone can be very hard. Might damage the edge.

Thanks Bawanna. Himalayan Imports "Khukuri and Deer" on YouTube by Red Eagle Trapping

Shows a Gopte (I think) making short work of bone, which is when I thought I should scope the M43's abilities concerning food prep...

Thanks Bawanna. Himalayan Imports "Khukuri and Deer" on YouTube by Red Eagle Trapping

Shows a Gopte (I think) making short work of bone, which is when I thought I should scope the M43's abilities concerning food prep...
Amko, in another video that he did on the gopte he showed the ding in his edge where he chopped the bone. It created a tiny roll.

Bone - As Bone can be as hard as rock in many cases, H.I. khukuri are not warranted for chopping thru bone.
If you must dress an animal, it is best to use the right tool (such as a hatchet or saw) or to pry the joint apart.
Despite the name Bonecutter, it is not warranted for chopping thru bone.

You can break the bone by reversing the khukuri and hitting with the spine. Most models have a v-profile spine, so this should work quite well.

Doesn't give you a clean cut, but it will turn one bone into two pieces. You still have to cut around the bone to separate the meat.

Last edited:
Back