M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

I’m convincing myself more and more the Ultimate Fighter is the knife for me!
Just expressing my thoughts!

I'm guessing the top knife is a Padam Suga? What is the bottom knife called?

Question: does Ballistol work on horn handles? I am thinking of using neatsfoot oil for the horn handle actually...

Last edited:
I use Ballistol on mine. It's primary ingredient is mineral oil which is what most seek. I found a decades old can of hoof flex from when my daughter did 4 H. Haven't tried it yet but it's suppose to work well also.
Course if you don't have a horse a can of it would last several life times.

Mr Bawanna: what's 4H?
Also: do I get the aerosol spray or the liquid Ballistol. I see both available on Amazon...

Last edited:
4-H is like Girl Scouts kind of. Where they involve animals. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs etc.
Usually they are the ones you see at fairs with their animals. With horses they get judged for a bunch of different stuff.
I spent a awful lot of time hanging around the fairs during those years.
Doesn't matter weather you get aerosol or liquid. For handles the liquid might be most convenient. I just wipe it on with a rag fairly heavily at first. Let it set awhile. Then just wipe it down once in a while to keep it nourished.
I sent Yangdu a couple cans after my first visit to wipe down handles when they arrive. Very dry down in Reno. Don't know if it helped. Also had her put a bucket of water in the storage area, hoping to add some moisture to the air. I see she still keeps the bucket there so maybe that helps.

Many here also take a knife when it arrives and dunk it in like a water bottle filled with mineral oil to really soak it.
For that it would probably be cheaper to just get mineral oil. Get it in the pharmacy section. Then just wipe it down with the ballistol or mineral oil from time to time and your good.

I also use the Ballistol on the blade on my users. Protects them and helps clean off pitch and chopping residue.

Take care of your khuk and it'll take care of you.

Mr Bawanna: what's 4H?
Also: do I get the aerosol spray or the liquid Ballistol. I see both available on Amazon...

And please, no need to call me Mr. Makes me sound impotent or something and if I'm so impotent I'd best start dressing impotent and I was never fond of neck ties and such.

Bawanna: hi. Ordered a 25 Oz container of Hooflex conditioner. Will keep you posted! Thanks for the advice.

Update: had to change my order to Fiebings Neatsfoot oil in light of researching Hooflex ingredients, apparently petrolatum is the base of the ointment which I don't use. So Neatsfoot it is.

Last edited:
And please, no need to call me Mr. Makes me sound impotent or something and if I'm so impotent I'd best start dressing impotent and I was never fond of neck ties and such.

Hahahahaha...I assume you mean "important", right?

By the way, although a bucket of water in a room might help a tad with moisture, the best solution is to simply buy a cheap steam humidifier and a hygrometer to track the humidity. I play a lot of wooden musical instruments, and always keep the room they are in between 40 and 60 percent humidity. This is also ideal for wood handles, I would think. All in all, a humidifier and hygrometer can be had for less than 40 bucks, I think.

It is also worth noting that keeping your house properly humidified has some noticeable health benefits, as well!

I'll have to google hygrometer, I don't even know what that is? At the time as I recall Yangdu didn't have power out to the storage area so a humidifier wasn't an option.
I'm not positive but I think she does have power now so that's a fine idea.

I'll have to google hygrometer, I don't even know what that is? At the time as I recall Yangdu didn't have power out to the storage area so a humidifier wasn't an option.
I'm not positive but I think she does have power now so that's a fine idea.

A hygrometer simply measures the humidity in a room and tells you where it is at.

Update: M43 delivered safe to my friend's address in Canada. See photo kindly posted below by Mr George Azar.

My friend is now wondering if the airlines permit an 18" Khukuri in checked luggage. Gentlemen, any advice from your experience?

Last edited:
Airlines vary but I don't see why it would be an issue in checked baggage. I'd call first.

I doubt it even needs to be declared like a pistol etc.

The M43 by way of Canada is finally here! It is 31 oz., 3/8"...beautifully balanced and feels lighter (a tad lighter than my CAK which is 32.3 oz.) and alive in the hand. Much more weapony than the CAK for sure. My first horn handle as well. The rust on the buttcap, mentioned in another thread, cleaned right up with Autosol and steel wool. Relieved it's back to its pristine state.

Hugely impressed by Kumar's work. The convex grind is perfect. Update: I honed it with a butchers steel, about 20 strokes on each side.

As is the distal taper. It tapers. To a point.

The fit on the sheath couldn't be snugger. Reminds me of skintight jeans...takes effort to get off!

Thanks to Auntie Yangdu and all at HI and much gratitude to you guys at BF for pitching in with helpful recommendations! So glad I chose the M43. This one doesn't leave my bedside.

Ok I'll quit raving and come quietly now.

Last edited:
Back