Manix 2 CRUWEAR

How does cru wear steel compare to s110v?

I've never tried S110V, but from spydercos chart S110V seems to be a much higher carbide steel than cruwear and offers better stain/corrosion resistance than cruwear. With that said, I'm sure cruwear would be much easier to sharpen than S110V, and may even be less prone to chipping than S110V.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, I'd love to hear the difference from actual experience.

How does cru wear steel compare to s110v?

They are somewhat opposites-
Cruwear is more of a carbon steel, not considered stainless, but S110V is stainless.
Cruwear is a tougher/more ductile steel, but with less wear resistance. S110V is relatively brittle but has very high wear resistance.

(Remember that there is always a tradeoff in knife/tool steels- you can have more ductility but that reduces wear resistance, you can have more wear resistance but you get brittleness. Different alloys will move the point of the tradeoff back and forth on the scale a little bit. Different alloys will allow you to maximize one property or the other a little bit. Decide what properties you want the most and pick a steel accordingly.)

Bdmicarta thanks for the reply. Good info. You seem to have broken it down well.

I probably oversimplified. People get real caught up in the slight differences between alloys but I read somewhere else where someone was complaining that we obsess too much over it. I agree that not very many people can really tell the subtle differences, but anybody should be able to experience the increased wear resistance of S110V. I seem to be able to make a knife dull just by looking at it so that is why I'm interested in some of the better alloys.

14818447633_e3769f8de0_b.jpg

I just got my Cruwear Manix and it is perfect out of the box but I have been using a BD-1/S110V LW versions for so long this just feels weird to me.
It may take some time to get used to this.
Great looking knife and the G10 has very good grip too.

Hey Will,

was yours a little tight to open out of the box?? I just got mine from national knives, and i'm worried about it being a fake... reputable company??

Hey Will,

was yours a little tight to open out of the box?? I just got mine from national knives, and i'm worried about it being a fake... reputable company??

I've ordered from National several times (Military Cruwear, Manix S110V, Native 5 G-10), and I do believe that they are reputable. I just received a Manix Cruwear from Knifeworks yesterday, and it came very tight. Even with the lock disengaged, it would not open with a flick of the wrist...even with a very vigorous flick. I loosened both pivot screws just slightly and put some nano-oil down in the pivot. Now it's smooth with no blade play.

I've not yet heard of a fake Manix, and I would be very surprised that a fake of this Manix would already exist.

I have to amend my comments from earlier. The grey G10 is fine on the military because it gets dirty pretty evenly. It ends up looking like canvas micarta to me. The manix 2 with the caged ball lock tends to get really dirty around the lock.

I have to amend my comments from earlier. The grey G10 is fine on the military because it gets dirty pretty evenly. It ends up looking like canvas micarta to me. The manix 2 with the caged ball lock tends to get really dirty around the lock.

The Manix Cruwear that just came to me yesterday from Knifeworks had some dirt on the gray G-10 around the caged ball lock, as if someone with dirty hands had been toying with it. Not a trace of it left thanks to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that another BF member recommended to me.

Just placed my order at national myself, all my research shows they are a standup and legit company.

Robert emailed me back very quickly after I asked him a couple questions about the cruwear shipping.

I received mine today.My best gestimation is that two batches have released to date not including the CC's.Will another batch release?Has all 1200 already been released in the wild?

Wow, got mine yesterday. Awesome knife. Really feels like a cut above from the knives I have normally carried. Glad I bought it.

Hey Will,

My Manix was a little tighter than I am used to.
I loosened the pivot maybe a 32nd of an inch and it now swings freely when lock is disengaged.

I never used National but have good things about them so you should not worry.

After now having this knife for a week plus I am very pleased. Centering is still perfect after tweeking it and I am getting used to the extra heft.
The G10 does show every little thing though so if you like a clean looking knife this may not be the one for you. I really could care less about looks, as long as it works fine I am good to go.

Only thing holding me back from buying one is how light that gray is...what a shame. :(

Only thing holding me back from buying one is how light that gray is...what a shame. :(

I don't like the gray too much either, but this one is nicer than some of the others. The heavy steel liners with all that jimping adds a nice look to the gray G10. The silver and gray work well together. Also the diamond pattern adds a nice touch to the look of the G10. It looks nicer on the Manix2 than the Native Forum knife IMHO.

Funny but sad also. Guy has a new knife "stiff opening out of box" apparently and suspicious of a fake. A knife new in box will have less tolerance than a used one. Smooth but firm is good. Firm and gritty is not a good thing especially when "new".

Back