Manix 2 CRUWEAR

anyone out there really using their cruwear blades? I'm debating on getting one

I abused my cruwear milli last weekend on a camping trip. It took everything I threw at it. I'm in love. I carved a walking stick, whittled, made tent pegs, food prep, etc.... Only a TINY bit of dulling. Put it to a ceramic hone and it's sharper than before.

As far as the light grey G10.....it actually looks good to me when it gets a little dirty. I'll post pics of mine later.

Last edited:
Here's the pics of my grey cru-mili. Took it on a three day/two night camping trip. Haven't cleaned it since. It really doesn't look that bad when it's dirty. You just need to let it go. It looks bad when there are only a few spots of dirt but an even coating looks OK.

Notice the color under the clip?

anyone out there really using their cruwear blades? I'm debating on getting one

I have a CRUWEAR Millie that's been abused. The tip was damaged when my father in law carelessly tossed it onto the concrete after he was finished (cutting 1/16" aluminum) with it. The base was damaged while cutting the burr off of another terribly damaged knife.

Pics:

WP_20140723_019.jpg

WP_20140723_016.jpg

WP_20140723_021.jpg

WP_20140723_022.jpg

All the damage was from cutting metal. It has also cut wood, paper, cardboard, and steel wool with nothing but dulling over many, many, many cuts. Steel wool obviously dulled it pretty fast, but otherwise it's been amazing.

-G

My original experience with this alloy ( Vascowear, ingot steel from Vasco Pacific no longer in production) was using a gerber "V" steel folder to engrave my initials into a structural steel I beam on a railroad bridge I had worked on. The surface was naturally rusted somewhat, as well as the knife had a very fat, 50 degree or over inclusive edge. Yet it did not damage the knife nor noticeably dull it. Granted the initials were not deep yet it is still not something that other steels I had tried up to then, and long afterward could accomplish. It took me decades to find myself one of my own. By then I had a couple custom Fixed blades in that steel.

When done for toughness it can be pretty stubborn. I now though have a very thin edged, high hardness Rc 63 custom in CPM Cruwear and while I wouldn't want to try digging or scraping into steel with it the strength of the steel even at rc 63 is apparent. The edge stability is there for that type of work despite it being in the wrong class of steels for that according to one self proclaimed expert no longer welcome on this website.

It will not go as long on rope as the S90V class steels, nor will it stay unrusted as easily as 440C (spit!!). It does everything pretty well though IMO. The attributes I desire anyway.

I've been comparing it to 4V at rc 63 lately. Not as much difference as I would have thought. It would take a different type of testing for me to see the difference. Jim Ankersons type testing could do it. As he has already done the Cruwear custom perhaps we can get him to do the 4V some time.

For those that really want abrasive wear though even 4V won't impress like 10V, or just right S110V. Carbides do what carbides do and everything. :) Still, I'm very happy where I'm at. From 3V to about the CPM M4 class is where I'm happiest .

Joe

Just got back from South Dakota on business, had a cruwear manix waiting for me here...talk about anticipation!!!

This thing is beautiful, as some have said the g10 is more white than grey, but I like it, it accents my all black manix very nicely. Also, some have said that it's a heavy knife, I disagree. My original manix has solid liners while the cruwear versions are skeletonized which makes a huge difference IMO.

I actually have another one on the way, so I'm sure some of you will hate me for hogging all the cruwear:p

The cruwear steel sharpens up much faster than the original S30V version, maybe since there is less vanadium and chromium:confused:. I can't say too much at this point about cruwear because I've only sharpened it so far, I haven't put it to good use, but give me a week or two when I go back out of state on business and it will see plenty of use then;). I'll try to give some feedback.

For now here's a pic:

The Dove and The Crow.
20140723_100451_zpscfhhmrsj.jpg

Last edited:
Been carrying mine for the past few days. So far I'm delighted. The difference in weight between this version and the standard version is (for me) astounding. My standard version was not getting a whole lot of pocket time due to the weight of her. The milled out liners are a very nice addition. The grey g10 is pretty cool, not a big fan of the diamond pattern, and it cleans up nice. I like the worn/dirty look it gets with use. I put her through some food prep just to test the corrosion factor. As you can see in the crappy pics, I've cut peppers, oranges, and (not pictured) chicken (raw and cooked), apples, and cheese. A quick rinse with water and a wipe on my pant leg are all I've done, so far not a single blemish on the blade. I'm impressed with the edge holding ability as well. I've cut through dozens of cardboard boxes, plastic straps, and wood in addition to the aforementioned food prep. The factory edge seems to be holding up quite nice, even able to roughly shave some hair. I'm guessing a fairly toothy edge would be more appropriate for this CPM Cruwear rather than a strop polished edge.

2duic5v.jpg

2nbsj1z.jpg

Been carrying mine for the past few days. So far I'm delighted. The difference in weight between this version and the standard version is (for me) astounding. My standard version was not getting a whole lot of pocket time due to the weight of her. The milled out liners are a very nice addition. The grey g10 is pretty cool, not a big fan of the diamond pattern, and it cleans up nice. I like the worn/dirty look it gets with use. I put her through some food prep just to test the corrosion factor. As you can see in the crappy pics, I've cut peppers, oranges, and (not pictured) chicken (raw and cooked), apples, and cheese. A quick rinse with water and a wipe on my pant leg are all I've done, so far not a single blemish on the blade. I'm impressed with the edge holding ability as well. I've cut through dozens of cardboard boxes, plastic straps, and wood in addition to the aforementioned food prep. The factory edge seems to be holding up quite nice, even able to roughly shave some hair. I'm guessing a fairly toothy edge would be more appropriate for this CPM Cruwear rather than a strop polished edge.

Why do you say this? My factory edge sucked, so I threw it on my paper wheels, it's now a nice mirror edge and held up fine slaying boxes earlier.

Here's the pics of my grey cru-mili. Took it on a three day/two night camping trip. Haven't cleaned it since. It really doesn't look that bad when it's dirty. You just need to let it go. It looks bad when there are only a few spots of dirt but an even coating looks OK.

Notice the color under the clip?

I dig the look of this. It does look kinda "worn", but it's dirty all over. Mine just has a big dirty fingerprint on it
Maybe I'll take a page outa your book and take it with me on my next camping trip :)

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser will clean grey G10 right up. I know because I had to clean my Jester's scales after I bought it. I haven't done my Millie yet though...I kind of enjoy watching them turn blue from my jeans :D

Those things are some kind of foul sorcery. They really do work on everything. Good idea.
You just talked me out of babying my CRUWEARs G10

It was a wild guess. You have any rolling/chipping so far?

No, but I had a nice chip on my S30V manix when cutting into some wall trim. CPM-Cruwear is not a stainless steel and won't be as brittle as some stainless steels at comparable HRC values.

From spyderco:
"CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) Cru-Wear further accentuates the benefits of Cru-Wear by combining its advanced alloy composition with the benefits of powdered metallurgy. This process produces very homogeneous steel with superior dimensional stability, grindability, and toughness. CPM Cru-Wear, in particular, offers increased toughness and chip resistance compared to its conventional ingot counterpart."

Time will tell for sure, but I read about someone cutting steel wool with the ingot version of cruwear without chipping/dulling. Especially with it being a CPM process steel, it will have a very fine grain structure and should take a mirror edge and hold it with confidence.

Got mine. Very nice and all good. Standalone pictures and next to Military CruWear.

8b3994c6-74ca-4122-898a-c4d6398d68c4_zps6e7cc269.jpg

e6c71b2f-a7f7-4dd0-8f27-9c0843f0e4ab_zps945bbdb7.jpg

3805e3f7-3f04-4777-b529-fc68776259db_zps4e3d781e.jpg

eede1f09-90ea-4a64-9924-40af26d45c1c_zps564a55c0.jpg

I prefer the black cage to clear on this knife, even with the shiny pocket clip. I find the shadowing in the handle and on the back of the spine of the handle gives just enough darkness to balance it out (And the shadow in the lanyard hole), but then again I'm probably one of the few who like it.

Good pics RamZar.

I don't mind the black cage at all. Another poll RamZar? Probably not enough respondents.

Have you heard of anyone having serialized blades? I don't recall reading in this thread about numbering and haven't seen any pics either. Usually opinions stating likes or dislikes. I have one probably arriving Saturday and was told it was serialized. Hmmm?

Got mine. Very nice and all good. Standalone pictures and next to Military CruWear.

8b3994c6-74ca-4122-898a-c4d6398d68c4_zps6e7cc269.jpg

e6c71b2f-a7f7-4dd0-8f27-9c0843f0e4ab_zps945bbdb7.jpg

Great looking knife. Looking forward to receiving mine and putting it to use. I don't care what color the ball cage is :) teho, I guess.

Back