1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Manix 2 Photographs

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by The Deacon, Mar 31, 2009.

1. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Sal offered to send me the Manix 2 pilot to photograph and test, since Wouter had not been able to pry it away from Eric long enough to do so at IWA. It arrived yesterday afternoon. For those as unfamiliar as I was with the term "pilot", the accompanying letter from Sal explained "This one is a pilot piece and it is as the production pieces will be". The photos below were posted on the Spyderco factory forum, but am posting them here as well for the benefit of those who never venture over there. The specs and my first impressions are at the bottom of the third group of photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul
    [​IMG]
    My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
    It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

2. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    More...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul
    [​IMG]
    My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
    Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
    It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

3. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Last batch, a few taken outdoors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the obligatory comparison shots with the original C95 and C101 for size...

[​IMG]

...and thickness...

[​IMG]

...and finally, a shot "in hand"...

[​IMG]

Initial impressions: Like its predecessors, the Manix 2 is a beefy knife. As can be seen in the photos, its dimenesions are pretty close to those of the C101 83mm Manix. Operation is extremely smooth and the action a bit lighter than the 83mm Manix due, I'm sure, to the ball lock. Fit and finish are impressive. The liners, as you may have noticed, have jimping which extends beyond the edge of the scales. The jimping is very aggressive, but very smooth, if that makes any sense. No roughness, no sharp edges, no burrs, but it sticks out enough above the scales that you absolutely know it's there. It definitely gives the Manix 2 a unique feel. The handle allows me a full four finger grip behind the choil.

Dimensions:
    Overall: 8" 203mm
    Closed: 4 5/8" 117mm
    Blade: 3 3/8" 86mm
    Edge: 2 7/8" 73mm
    Weight: 5 3/8 oz 150 grams
    Hole Diameter: 14mm
    Blade thickness: appx. 3.5 mm (about half way between its predecessor and my CF Stretch).
    Grind: Hollow saber

Have been asked to carry, use, and report on this so stay tuned.

Paul
    [​IMG]

4. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    Nice pics.

If they get rid of that blade grind I will have to pick one up.

5. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Agree 100%. Where is the full flat grind that made the original Manix such a great slicer.

6. Nikokurausu

Nikokurausu

Jun 19, 2006
    I was really looking forward to the Manix 2 but seeing these pics pretty much killed that. No full flat grind and the fact that it's actually more like the Mini-Manix in size are fairly big failures in my book. I'm sure the knife will be excellent but the design just does not seem to be my cup o' tea.

Now I have to find a used Manix or two.

7. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I don't like the grind for a Manix and I can't see using 154cm steel, either.
    But, I do like the clip, the tip up carry, the lock and the jimping isn't bad.
    To make it a BIG hit S90V steel and a flat ground blade, maybe the price factored into the steel choice, but I think it would have surpassed it's predecessor's legend with better steel and the same grind.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    Hate it! Just not doing it for me!

RickJ

9. Roger999

Roger999

Mar 22, 2008
    Nice photos, but the low grind on it doesn't look good at all :(.

10. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    Glad I have the originals - this one is not cutting it for me. Blade steel, grind, size just don't do it for me.

11. Ruff Cobb

Ruff Cobb

Mar 20, 2006
    is that lock button clear plastic as appears in the photos? Ruff Cobb

12. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm not sure about that one,

I'm defo not a fan of the jimping all over the place and would prefer it at least a bit bigger.
    I dont mind the grind that much, the blade shape kind of suits it imo.
    It would be pretty sweet with a scandi style edge as well I think.

It would be nice to actually handle one first before I say i'll never get one but from the pics i'm a bit half way on it really.

13. Masteroffajitas

Masteroffajitas Banned BANNED

Oct 7, 2008
    154cm on a spyderco? Sounds pretty cool. I missed out on the other manix, this will be pretty cool, hope it's not too expensive though.

14. Edgyone

Edgyone

Sep 2, 2008
    A good looking knife but not what I thought it may be.

154CM is ok and may keep the price down. The grind/shorter length may contribute to blade and tip 'strength' (although I wasn't aware that this was an issue with the original Manix).

I wouldn't have thought that such extensive jimping would be required with G10 scales on the proposed handle profile. However, it does look unique and I'm sure it is functional too.

I'll wait for a more detailed review (after some carry/use) but at this stage I am happy with my existing manix :D

That said, there is a new s90v Mule I've seen advertised that looks like it could use a new home - there's always something from Spyderco for everyone :thumbup: :D

15. thombrogan

thombrogan

Nov 16, 2002
    Thanks very much, Deacon!

I'm thinking the saber hollow-grind is for the people who want a head-start on adding their own "Scandi" grind or to keep costs low and performance high.

At least the blade finally gives a straight answer as to whether 154CM or CPM154 is being used.

16. Jenner 515

Jenner 515

Nov 27, 2002
    ... it photographs well.

End result is not what I associate with the term Manix. Open construction and too much jimping around the whole knife give it a real different look. Not sure if the blade steel and grind are a deal killer for me. I really like the FFG and S30V on my current 2 full-size Manix.

Oh well, "all good just different" someone once said.

17. Sharpy_swe

Sharpy_swe

Dec 17, 2006
    I think it looks great.

18. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I was dearly hoping for CPM154....

Things that I really don't like about it are the hollow grind, tip up only, jimping freaking everywhere, and size.

Spyderco has always been one for a FFG on their knives. Love it. Makes sense too.
    I would love to see the steel changed a bit, and it looks like there's room for a tip down carry... Make it happen! I'd want to see the handle butt curved like on the large Manix, Chinook, and Superhawk

Not sure what's up with the jimping though...

19. bammann45

bammann45

Oct 29, 2005
    Like others, I am surprised its not a FFG. I am disappointed about that. I will also be interested to see the larger model.

20. pageophile

pageophile

Feb 13, 2004
    Thanks for the sneak peak Sir, mucho appreciated :D

I'm in with the others it seems, a flat grind is preferred as a would a larger size (original Manix).

Nice to see some of the design elements from the P'kal make it into other Spydercos