Manix 2 Photographs

Sal offered to send me the Manix 2 pilot to photograph and test, since Wouter had not been able to pry it away from Eric long enough to do so at IWA. It arrived yesterday afternoon. For those as unfamiliar as I was with the term "pilot", the accompanying letter from Sal explained "This one is a pilot piece and it is as the production pieces will be". The photos below were posted on the Spyderco factory forum, but am posting them here as well for the benefit of those who never venture over there. The specs and my first impressions are at the bottom of the third group of photos...

manix2_01.jpg

manix2_02.jpg

manix2_03.jpg

manix2_04.jpg

manix2_07.jpg

manix2_08.jpg

manix2_10.jpg

manix2_11.jpg

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

More...

manix2_05.jpg

manix2_06.jpg

manix2_09.jpg

manix2_18.jpg

manix2_14.jpg

manix2_15.jpg

manix2_16.jpg

manix2_17.jpg

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Last batch, a few taken outdoors...

manix2_19.jpg

manix2_20.jpg

manix2_21.jpg

manix2_22.jpg

manix2_23.jpg

...and the obligatory comparison shots with the original C95 and C101 for size...

manix2_compare.jpg

...and thickness...

manix2_compare_02.jpg

...and finally, a shot "in hand"...

manix2_in_hand_02.jpg

Initial impressions: Like its predecessors, the Manix 2 is a beefy knife. As can be seen in the photos, its dimenesions are pretty close to those of the C101 83mm Manix. Operation is extremely smooth and the action a bit lighter than the 83mm Manix due, I'm sure, to the ball lock. Fit and finish are impressive. The liners, as you may have noticed, have jimping which extends beyond the edge of the scales. The jimping is very aggressive, but very smooth, if that makes any sense. No roughness, no sharp edges, no burrs, but it sticks out enough above the scales that you absolutely know it's there. It definitely gives the Manix 2 a unique feel. The handle allows me a full four finger grip behind the choil.

Dimensions:
Overall: 8" 203mm
Closed: 4 5/8" 117mm
Blade: 3 3/8" 86mm
Edge: 2 7/8" 73mm
Weight: 5 3/8 oz 150 grams
Hole Diameter: 14mm
Blade thickness: appx. 3.5 mm (about half way between its predecessor and my CF Stretch).
Grind: Hollow saber

Have been asked to carry, use, and report on this so stay tuned.

Paul
bar_02.gif

I was really looking forward to the Manix 2 but seeing these pics pretty much killed that. No full flat grind and the fact that it's actually more like the Mini-Manix in size are fairly big failures in my book. I'm sure the knife will be excellent but the design just does not seem to be my cup o' tea.

Now I have to find a used Manix or two.

I don't like the grind for a Manix and I can't see using 154cm steel, either.
But, I do like the clip, the tip up carry, the lock and the jimping isn't bad.
To make it a BIG hit S90V steel and a flat ground blade, maybe the price factored into the steel choice, but I think it would have surpassed it's predecessor's legend with better steel and the same grind.

Last edited:
Glad I have the originals - this one is not cutting it for me. Blade steel, grind, size just don't do it for me.

I'm not sure about that one,

I'm defo not a fan of the jimping all over the place and would prefer it at least a bit bigger.
I dont mind the grind that much, the blade shape kind of suits it imo.
It would be pretty sweet with a scandi style edge as well I think.

It would be nice to actually handle one first before I say i'll never get one but from the pics i'm a bit half way on it really.

154cm on a spyderco? Sounds pretty cool. I missed out on the other manix, this will be pretty cool, hope it's not too expensive though.

A good looking knife but not what I thought it may be.

154CM is ok and may keep the price down. The grind/shorter length may contribute to blade and tip 'strength' (although I wasn't aware that this was an issue with the original Manix).

I wouldn't have thought that such extensive jimping would be required with G10 scales on the proposed handle profile. However, it does look unique and I'm sure it is functional too.

I'll wait for a more detailed review (after some carry/use) but at this stage I am happy with my existing manix :D

That said, there is a new s90v Mule I've seen advertised that looks like it could use a new home - there's always something from Spyderco for everyone :thumbup: :D

Thanks very much, Deacon!

I'm thinking the saber hollow-grind is for the people who want a head-start on adding their own "Scandi" grind or to keep costs low and performance high.

At least the blade finally gives a straight answer as to whether 154CM or CPM154 is being used.

... it photographs well.

End result is not what I associate with the term Manix. Open construction and too much jimping around the whole knife give it a real different look. Not sure if the blade steel and grind are a deal killer for me. I really like the FFG and S30V on my current 2 full-size Manix.

Oh well, "all good just different" someone once said.

I was dearly hoping for CPM154....

Things that I really don't like about it are the hollow grind, tip up only, jimping freaking everywhere, and size.

Spyderco has always been one for a FFG on their knives. Love it. Makes sense too.
I would love to see the steel changed a bit, and it looks like there's room for a tip down carry... Make it happen! I'd want to see the handle butt curved like on the large Manix, Chinook, and Superhawk

Not sure what's up with the jimping though...

Like others, I am surprised its not a FFG. I am disappointed about that. I will also be interested to see the larger model.

Thanks for the sneak peak Sir, mucho appreciated :D

I'm in with the others it seems, a flat grind is preferred as a would a larger size (original Manix).

Nice to see some of the design elements from the P'kal make it into other Spydercos

Back