Manix 2 Photographs

Sorry, but this is not a Manix. It's more like a central Asian knock-off with some cosmetic changes to get around patent laws.

I have a mini Manix which my wife is simply itching to get as an edc. She currently edc's a Native 1. I told her she'll get the mini Manix when I get the full size Manix. It looks like she's just never going to get the mini Manix now.

Sigh! Sal, please bring back the Manix range and rename this as something else.
Specifically, I don't like the plastic buttons on the lock. Introduces the problem BM has with the Axis lock - it can be inadvertently unlocked as the lock buttons protrude too far. The D'Allara has a simpler, recessed lock.

It all seems like a backwards step.

Edit: Twindogs said it best: "To improve the original Manix, all I would do is use a beefier pivot and offer a choice of high-end steels. "

Last edited:
I am on preorder for only one so that says it all from me. If I liked the knife completely I'd preorder two like I do all other knives I like.

I'm glad I have four old NIB Manixes now.

This knife is either going to go thorugh a few generational changes soon after release or will go bye bye I hate to say. Just a hunch. I suspect the first things changed will be the steel and the grind. Unless Spyderco is going into the standard "Tacticool" business on purpose. Maybe there are a lot of maturing knife nuts who will buy them in sufficient numbers to keep them on the shelves for a while.

I don't dislike hollow grinds at all but the typical Spyderco blade profile makes a hollow grind a love it or hate it sort of thing. Some of my favorite knives have hollow grinds so that's not the real problem - it's more just overall aesthetics.

Addendum - I have no issue with the steel either

Last edited:
Lighten up on the jimping, make it a FFG, give it black screws, a black button on the lock instead of the clear plastic, a black clip, and make the back of the knife closed construction like the original, and it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

As it stands now, the jimping jumps out at you way too much when you look at it. The grind on it really isn't visually right for the blade shape IMO - I have nothing against it or for FFG, besides looks. The shiny silver clip is like throwing black doors on a silver Aston Martin - it just looks out of place. I think black screws would simply look classier on this knife. And the closed back construction makes the knife look stronger, which makes it feel stronger (cause that's how our crazy minds work). Oh, and clear plastic for the button? That's just kinda crazy. I think a lot of people perceive clear plastic that as being 'weak' and 'cheap'.

And really, what people perceive your product as, is more important to selling it, than what your product really is. Take FRN as an example of that. We all know it's as strong as hell, but it feels cheap, so we all gladly pay extra to get G10 or carbon fiber, because it looks more... prestigious I guess? Also, more weight makes some things feel higher quality, and knives are one of those things IMO.

EDIT: It also looks like maybe the liners are more polished than the blade? If so that's pretty weird.

Seriously disappointed. If I wanted a hollow-ground 154CM blade, I'd get a Benchmade.

Makes me glad I've got 3 of the originals.

I despise it as a carrier of an original Manix.
I don't want a short ugly 83mm Manix with a saber ground blade.
Keep the lock and the 154cm steel but make it the full size manix size with a flat ground blade.

I love my Spydies, but this one is not for me. The jimping is over the top and unnecessary. Not crazy about the grind either. I would rather see full flat grind as others have stated. The knife is a bit too heavy for any serious pocket time, need to get this under 5 oz. On the bright side, I see nothing wrong with the steel choice.

I love my Spydies, but this one is not for me. The jimping is over the top and unnecessary. Not crazy about the grind either. I would rather see full flat grind as others have stated. The knife is a bit too heavy for any serious pocket time, need to get this under 5 oz. On the bright side, I see nothing wrong with the steel choice.

Aren't all Spydies a little "over the top" and "out there" ? Personally, that's why I love them so much. You don't have a line of similar knives with small changes and middle of the road steel like some other B-list companies. ;) ;)

I'm probably going to pick one of these up, if anything for the CBBL. There are things I find odd about it, but I'm guessing the Lava wasn't introduced to astounding applause.

My original Manix PE is getting really big love hugs. Newer is not always better.

Nice pics Paul.

- Lock looks great, I love the BM axis lock and this is as close as you can get without patent infringement :)
- Handle scales

Dislikes:
- Blade grind...would much prefer FFG
- WAY too much jimping all around. Looks overdone to me.
- Blade profile...too pointy

I'm sure many will love it, but other than the lock (which I think is great) it'll be a no-go for me.

Mike

I was really looking forward to the Manix 2 but seeing these pics pretty much killed that. No full flat grind and the fact that it's actually more like the Mini-Manix in size are fairly big failures in my book. I'm sure the knife will be excellent but the design just does not seem to be my cup o' tea.

Now I have to find a used Manix or two.

X2 When I saw the first pictures I was set on getting 2 but then I saw how small it was (relatively that is :p):thumbdn:
I don't mind the jimping, I actually like 154cm, and the clear lock isn't so terrible to make me turn my back on it but the distinct size difference and the change in the handle kill it.

Last edited:
I have to say, I was really looking foreward to it. Now I am not. Im not getting one. Too small for what I want, and the grind...lets not go there. I have no problems with the ball lock, steel, or open back construction, but I wont be getting one. Sorry.

Lighten up on the jimping, make it a FFG, give it black screws, a black button on the lock instead of the clear plastic, a black clip, and make the back of the knife closed construction like the original, and it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

As it stands now, the jimping jumps out at you way too much when you look at it. The grind on it really isn't visually right for the blade shape IMO - I have nothing against it or for FFG, besides looks. The shiny silver clip is like throwing black doors on a silver Aston Martin - it just looks out of place. I think black screws would simply look classier on this knife. And the closed back construction makes the knife look stronger, which makes it feel stronger (cause that's how our crazy minds work). Oh, and clear plastic for the button? That's just kinda crazy. I think a lot of people perceive clear plastic that as being 'weak' and 'cheap'.

And really, what people perceive your product as, is more important to selling it, than what your product really is. Take FRN as an example of that. We all know it's as strong as hell, but it feels cheap, so we all gladly pay extra to get G10 or carbon fiber, because it looks more... prestigious I guess? Also, more weight makes some things feel higher quality, and knives are one of those things IMO.

EDIT: It also looks like maybe the liners are more polished than the blade? If so that's pretty weird.

+1.

The jimping looks waaaaaaaay to "bling"-ish. :barf: I've never had any problem with slippage on my Manix...

I agree with most of the posters here regarding the new grind being a turnoff. The full flat grind is one of the reasons I got the Mini Manix in the first place.

The only modification from the original Manix I'd like to see would be a beefy liner or compression lock. This would allow a more open construction to make it easier to clean. It would also lighten the weight. The Manix does lock open like a bank vault, but it feels like one in my pocket, too!

And maybe throw in a heftier pivot. Not like the old one has ever come close to failing, but a bigger one would be cool.

Really, it just needs 2 things:

1. A flat grind
2. A steel that will do this "tough" knife called the Manix justice. 154CM is a fine steel, but for a knife built for sturdiness and toughness begs for something like D2, BG-42, or S90V, or at the VERY least, S30V.

Other than that, I do like it. The full-body jimping is probably unnecessary, but I don't see it doing any damage.

If those 2 things are fixed, I would like to get my hands on one!

Oh, and there needs to be a bigger version, too ;)

Last edited:
I've become so accustomed to seeing flat grinds on all Spydercos higher end knives that it was actually a little odd to see a hollow grind on the Manix.

I'm mutual on this new design so far. Dont hate it but dont love it either. Sometimes visual cues can be deceiving though.

I was anticipating this knife more than any other except the FRN Stretch 2. I am very dissappointed and will not be buying any mainly because of the 154cm blade steel. I really do not like this steel. I would prefer FFG but I would settle for the hollow sabre grind if it was made of S30V.

No FFG? No sale!

Spyderco turned me onto the joys of a FFG and now I cannot settle for less...oh, the irony ;)

Now i'm looking at it again I really dont like the jimping at all but the rest of it is not that a big an issue for me.
I presume taking it apart is going to be a PITA as it looks like the lanyard tube is what holds the but end together ?

I think if this knife had smoothe liners, non-caged ball lock, flat scandi grind and a back spacer it would at least be more in line with its siblings.
I realise that most folks are calling for a FFG but I think the new grind is worth a try....... every thing else bar the shape has been changed so why not.

Back