Manix 2 Photographs

I never hear anyone ding the steel on a ZT 0200.

I'm getting one but I will have to wait until it's in my hand before I decide to get the second, the same way I bought my J.D. Smiths. Two weeks apart . . .

I really wish it were the size of the full Manix. I like the ball lock but that cheap plastic slider needs to be replaced with aluminum or G10 or something. The small jimping around the choil/spine is nice but the larger jimping is pointless cheesy and very uncomfortable looking and the change from FFG to Hollow Sabre is a huge step backwards. I hate to say this because I am a Spyderco kind of guy, but to me it really just looks like Spyderco's take on a Griptillian, and I'd bet it is going to be priced similarly as well. Personally I would rather carry a Tenacious than this knife which is sad to me because with a few small changes it could be amazing. If they were to give it a full flat grind, remove the gator-tooth jimping, and do something about that slider I'd buy it in a heartbeat. How about a US made Tenacious in 154cm with g10 and a stainless Reeve Integral lock for under $60? haha one can dream right? :rolleyes:

I don't care for it at ALL!

I understand the saber grind makes for a thicker/stronger prybar... But knives are made to cut. Spyderco knows this, their full flat grinds make them stand above every other production company in their price range.

Wow, just way way off the mark here IMO

I feel like i am the only one that really likes this knife, i would like a FFG but this seems good enough for me...

I dont know. It looks pretty cool, but I'd rather have it the size of the old large manix. I would also like a FFG and s30V. Looks closer to a Dallara 2 than a manix 2.

I like the steel and I think the lock is a cool change. The hollow grind and jimping are a turnoff though, this is obviously a conspiracy to give tom krein more buisness :D Like others have mentioned, I wasn't expecting this large of a change to the manix in one iteration. It seems less like a manix and more like a completely different model.

Yeah I do agree. I think it should be named something completely different and they should redo a Manix 2.

I guess I am one of the few that actually like this knife. I don't think it's a "Manix 2" but I think it's a neat knife. Seeing that the grind is a hollow saber I'm ok with that. I think the grind needs to be 1 or 2mm closer to the Spyderhole. Don't make it a Delica like saber grind that is waaaay too far below the hole.

I know that the ball lock must be expensive to make but hearing about a rumored price point at around $125 or $130 seems a tad high. I do seem some similar areas that make me think of the Tenacious. I also don't really dig the jimping crazyness everywhere.

I would buy one. If I didn't like it within a day or two it would be sold or traded.

-

In fact the more I look at the knife the more I think..... "trash the idea and start over". Yeah I know......harsh but I'm blunt and don't beat around the bush.

Last edited:
Yeah I do agree. I think it should be named something completely different and they should redo a Manix 2.

I'm on the same page as David. If this knife had been brought out as a completely new knife with a different name I think that it would be received very well. The problem is with the name, the Manix 2. The original Manix has a sterling reputation and is well loved by many people. It was big, rugged, would stand up to abuse and was built like a tank. As such, those are pretty big shoes to fill and to wear that name, the knife had better be pretty special as well improved. I think this knife in its present iteration fails on all counts.

Its a nice knife and I'm sure that it would be a good user. It's just not a Manix IMHO.

-Dan

Well it's certainly rugged, probably moreso than the original mini-manix. It's just that other than the handle profile, I look at it and don't see the manix, I see a completely new knife.

I remember when the real Manix first came out. It was raved about on Bladeforums. So I bought one and became one of the ravers.

And we can see in this thread that knife people still love the original Manix.

This reminds me when Ford killed the real Mustang and came out with the Mustang II, a terrible little car that didn't come close to the brilliance of the real Mustang.

The real Manix is big, apparently bigger than the mass market wants. But Spyderco has plenty of little knives for people who like it small.

Sal: Take this non-Manix II, honor it with its own name and sell it for all it's worth, downgraded steel, saber grind, plastic warts, jimping and all of it. We'll all wish you well.

But bring back the real Manix in sprint runs with a beefy pivot and high-end steels. Don't you make money off sprint runs?

I think twindog put it perfect. I don't know how to put his quote in my reply like I see some people can do.

I've been looking at the progress of this thread and thinking wow whats wrong with me I don't like that knife. I have 4 of the foliage green manix and wish I had more.

I have quite a few knives from different manufactures but for work all I carry now is either my Manix or Military. I just love the way they cut. I think they cut so well because of the full flat grind. Other knives I have like my ZT knives get bound up in the cardboard but the Spyderco knives just cut so well. I am very disappointed with the lack of full flat grind. I could have lived with the 154cm but the hollow grind is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe they will come out with sprint runs that are different.

Well I guess everybody just thought it was going to bigger.... :yawn: Although this is nearly identical in dimensions to the "mini" Manix, maybe this will take that name on when it's big brother arrives.
The ball bearing lock has turned this Manix 2 into a must have for me. I'll admit the jimping might look a little bit abnormal, but if it adds any grip it's worth it to me. The open construction will make cleaning less of a chore.
I do prefer FFG's. But due to the thinner blade stock this hollow ground Manix 2 should out cut the old Manix . 154cm's a nice all round, dare I say "entry level" steel with properties that Joe public will appreciate. Hopefully the MSRP will reflect this...Tip down carry would have been a nice option though.

Job well done I say!!

Bo.

It looks good to me!

The knife is thinner and lighter, which is what people were asking for in a previous thread. So you give up a full metal backspacer to have that.

The blade stock is thinner, again making the knife lighter. To compensate the short hollow grinds keep material at the tip so it's stronger, which is what a heavy duty type knife would have.

The jimping adds additonal grip. A functional improvement. I see alot of whining about the jimping for aesthetic reasons. Since when has spyderco been about aesthetics?

The clip position allows a deeper carry. I like that.

Ball lock is definitely an improvement over lockback.

Blade steel is decent. It allows a lower pricepoint for a knife that is US made and more labor intensive than the old one to manufacture. This is likely a compromise that should help keep the price down and 154cm is good enough for a knife like this. I am guessing the price point and smaller size will give it more mass appeal than a 4" blade, S90V, $200 retail knife most here are dreaming of.

All told you get a better all around knife that is , lighter, stronger (lock and blade tip), grippier, and conceals better. I imagine that Sal is kind of suprised that the knife is so poorly received here when all these improvements are put into it.

Now if we are dreaming, I personally would also prefer a FFG and a Compression Lock. But I will buy one of these with no complaints.

I personally enjoy 154cm, and like ball lock (lighter = more likely to spend time in my pocket) but I can't can't can't stand the fact that they changed the grind.

If they keep it that way I guess mister Krein is going to be getting a lot of these in the mail. :D

I personally enjoy 154cm, and like ball lock (lighter = more likely to spend time in my pocket) but I can't can't can't stand the fact that they changed the grind.

If they keep it that way I guess mister Krein is going to be getting a lot of these in the mail. :D

It's a collaboration model then. :D

I actually love it. The manix is always been more of a bruiser and a millie or para has been more of a slicer so the sabre grind actually fits for me

I think I'll pass on this one. The small size is the biggest turn-off for me. I thought it was going to be a full-sized Manix. Do we really need another 3" blade? The grind and steel choice aren't for me either. Is it just me, or does the shape and placement of the pocket clip look sort of "home brew"?

I do like the excessive jimping. No thoughts on the ball lock, as I've never tried one.

Back