Manix 2 Photographs

1. This knife is still very much in line with Eric's style. Look at the Poliwog, excellent knife, the hollow grind doesn't hold that one back.

2. 154CM is still a premium steel, a little behind S30V in wear resistance and arguably better toughness. It's still the baseline for many manufacturers and custom makers.
I would much rather have 154CM as the baseline steel with an S90V sprint run, instead of the current trend of S30V and squat.

3. As far as I know there is a full size version in the works (at least that was the original plan). Good things take time.

This is obviously the "mini Manix" hopefully there will be a full size version along shortly.

The only thing I don't like is the hollow grind. Hollow grinds only offer one advantage: cheaper to produce. on a blade this wide, it will not cut as well as a full flat grind, since it gets to full thickness less than halfway up the blade- simple geometry. The only place where a hollow grind can add to the cutting efficiency is when a blade is made with thick stock and a very narrow blade. And then a full hollow grind is necessary.

I like the jimping and the open construction. My experience with the ball lock was poor, but this one should be useable with one hand. If they make this one a Full flat grind, I will be buying one. Maybe I should hope they don't so I can save my money. :D

You have to remember the Manix has a huge following of devoted users, of course many will be upset with the failure of the Manix2 design.

They will be doing a re-vamped Military soon too. If they switch that to a hollow grind, I think armageddon will come.

I know full well how many fans the Manix has. I read their comments here at BF and other places. And like I said I felt disappointed with the new JD Smith run, so I get where folks are coming from. But to be really upset about it, some folks even seem downright angry, strikes me as a real overreaction. You call the design a failure based on pictures of a pilot run piece. It's not exactly what you wanted, therefore the entire deal is a failure? Really?

You call the design a failure based on pictures of a pilot run piece.

Well this, as far as we know since we haven't heard from Sal or anyone on this, IS to be the final product, isn't it? So "THEY'RE NOT JUST PICTURES" as Eliot Stabler said :D

It's not exactly what you wanted, therefore the entire deal is a failure? Really?

I don't think anyone said the design is a failure. They just mean that while it might be a fine piece of work, it isn't living up to the name "Manix." It is failing as a Manix, not as a knife.

It's good to see Spyderco using 154CM steel. To be truly called a Manix, it has to have a FFG. The clear plastic cover, over the ball lock, looks cheap. There's a tad to much jimping for my taste. Other then that, it looks like a fine knife.

Well this, as far as we know since we haven't heard from Sal or anyone on this, IS to be the final product, isn't it? So "THEY'RE NOT JUST PICTURES" as Eliot Stabler said :D

To quote Sal from Deacon's first post in this thread - For those as unfamiliar as I was with the term "pilot", the accompanying letter from Sal explained "This one is a pilot piece and it is as the production pieces will be".

So it's not that knife shown here is different than the regular production examples, it's that the curtain has just been drawn and some folks are killing the knife already because it doesn't meet their expectations that were based on it being the name-sharing sequel to a particular knife.

I don't think anyone said the design is a failure. They just mean that while it might be a fine piece of work, it isn't living up to the name "Manix." It is failing as a Manix, not as a knife.

Look back at the post I quoted in my previous reply. The gentleman said "the failure of the Manix2 design." He didn't parse it any finer, so that's why I'm curious as to what he really meant and asked the question. You think he meant what you've explained above. Maybe that's true, but we really don't know unless he says it himself. I'd just prefer not to make the assumption given that it's a fairly strong statement.

Some peple killing the hollow grind should check out Deacon's post on the Spyderco.com forum. I love FFG, and will probably get my M2 reground, but I will at least give the knife a fair shake before sending it off to Tom Krein. Of all things that are seemingly easily changed on a factory knife it is the grind and steel. I bet Spyderco may end up changing the grind of the blade and putting all sorts of steels in it in a short amount of time due to the demand here. If there is one thing Spyderco does it is listen to ELU's.

Mike

I like it aside from the excessive jimping. It makes the knife look weird to me, and I know from experience with the 83mm Manix that it was not necessary.

im very interested in trying a ball lock, and i think this will be the one. i find the other ball lock knives odd looking. here, the lock (and blade tang when closed) does not dominate the visuals of the knife. i suppose a black "tab" would be better, but i don't find it be a critical issue.

i think the size will be fine for me. i like the blade length of the original manix, but found the wide closed profile to make pocket carry limiting. this one looks like it will be more of an edc size for me.

i also prefer ffg, but everyone loves their enduras/delicas. arent most saber ground?

and i would not be surprised if we see color/scale/grind variations in the near future.

ill give it a try.

You have to remember the Manix has a huge following of devoted users, of course many will be upset with the failure of the Manix2 design.

Obviously since I haven't even held the knife, I can't come to the conclusion that the knife is a failure. That is not what I meant.

When I said "failure of the Manix2 design," I am referring to the attempted improvement of the Manix design, which may very well be subjective. But as I see it, the following are not improvements:

S30v > 154cm

FFG > Hollow Grind (in most typical cutting situations and precision cutting)

Optional tip up/down carry, not available on Manix2

Don't take my criticism the wrong way, I will be buying a Manix2. I am interested in using Spyderco's 154cm to see how well it stacks up to BM's product. Also I fully support Spyderco's domestic products.

Obviously since I haven't even held the knife, I can't come to the conclusion that the knife is a failure. That is not what I meant.

When I said "failure of the Manix2 design," I am referring to the attempted improvement of the Manix design, which may very well be subjective. But as I see it, the following are not improvements:

S30v > 154cm

FFG > Hollow Grind (in most typical cutting situations and precision cutting)

Optional tip up/down carry, not available on Manix2

Don't take my criticism the wrong way, I will be buying a Manix2. I am interested in using Spyderco's 154cm to see how well it stacks up to BM's product. Also I fully support Spyderco's domestic products.

I don't think that many people will be saying they won't be buying them. I know I plan on picking one or two up, at least to try it on for size.

If I've learned anything about buying knives, especially Spyderco knives, it's that you can't honestly judge one till you've held it in your hand. :thumbup:

First impressions is that it looks like a tricked out Tenacious, and I have to echo the sentiment of many that it's definitely not like the original Manix (which thankfully I was able to snag a large Manix in Foliage Green G10 recently). But other than the excessive jimping, the clear plastic covering the ball lock, and the bright pocket clip, I'm still interested and may purchase one once it becomes available.

Like Josh K mentioned, you never know if you truly like a knife until you have it in hand and used it. A lot of Spyderco models past and present that are equally weird-looking have loyal fanbases - maybe if/when the Manix2 is long gone and the Manix3 is introduced, there will be a lot of criticisms/resistance to that version of the Manix too from fans of the Manix2.

But then again, maybe not - who knows.

Some of you are getting so pissy about a knife you haven't even handled yet. ;)

I prefer full flat grinds to any other grind, but I think the hollow grind may be able to cut something. I could always spread butter with it? :confused: Point: we've all been spoiled by Spyderco's blade grinds and edge geometry.

Much prefer the 154CM to S30V. Easier to sharpen and it takes a very keep edge. Keeps costs down too.

Ball-bearing lock looks fantastic. Very strong lock. Less lock material = lighter = more time in my pocket. Thinner too? More pocket time. The extra jimping on the handle will be great for retention, as long as it doesn't become annoying during long-term cutting.

Looks very refined. Give it a full-flat grind and charge a little extra for it - I'll be in for 2.

Sal often claimed that for Spyderco, function is more important than form. Yet, here is hollow grind for the reason that "average" buyer likes its looks better? :confused:

That grind just makes me think Delica.

The hollow grind is a huge leap in cutting performance over a saber flat grind, and I would think it should make you think Salt or D'Allara before Delica. I guess from some angles you might not pick out the hollow, though.

Mike

Edit to add: it makes me think of Mini Manix meets D'Allara (the D'Allara DP is a supremely smooth and brutally strong knife, just a wonderful knife) meets Eric locked up in a dungeon until it is perfect for him. Some of the materials may have been chosen as a concession to the economy, as I think they should these days. In car terms this will be our base model corvette to give a very solid performance car for a great value, and I'm betting Z51, Z06, and ZR-1 options are waiting in the wings. I'm even hoping a lower priced FRN model is waiting in the wings, because that D'Allarra showed me how an FRN knife with a Ball lock could be brutally strong as well as super smooth. Time will tell on all of this.

Last edited:
Sal often claimed that for Spyderco, function is more important than form. Yet, here is hollow grind for the reason that "average" buyer likes its looks better? :confused:

I personally find a FFG very attractive on my knives.

I also prefer the hollow grind on my D'Allara, and the M2 kinda reminds me of that.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :D Of all the Spyderco knives I've bought, I've never been disappointed.

The hollow grind is a huge leap in cutting performance over a saber flat grind, and I would think it should make you think Salt or D'Allara before Delica. I guess from some angles you might not pick out the hollow, though.

Mike

Edit to add: it makes me think of Mini Manix meets D'Allara (the D'Allara DP is a supremely smooth and brutally strong knife, just a wonderful knife) meets Eric locked up in a dungeon until it is perfect for him. Some of the materials may have been chosen as a concession to the economy, as I think they should these days. In car terms this will be our base model corvette to give a very solid performance car for a great value, and I'm betting Z51, Z06, and ZR-1 options are waiting in the wings. I'm even hoping a lower priced FRN model is waiting in the wings, because that D'Allarra showed me how an FRN knife with a Ball lock could be brutally strong as well as super smooth. Time will tell on all of this.

Gotta agree with you there, the D'Allara is an amazing knife. First Spyderco I bought, and the last I'll probably give up. :thumbup:

Back