Manix2 CPM S110V

Just got mine. Incredibly light, but feels sturdy enough and the balance is still good. The plastic handle will never win awards for beauty, but it's the kind of knife that's so practical it makes you start wondering if you really need a bunch of other blades.

Just got mine. Incredibly light, but feels sturdy enough and the balance is still good. The plastic handle will never win awards for beauty, but it's the kind of knife that's so practical it makes you start wondering if you really need a bunch of other blades.
One thing that kept me from trying the L/W for so long was the FRN handle but actually I've grown fond of it. Makes total sense in this model and strong enough to not require heavy liners.

Anybody try sharpening their S110V Manix yet? I wanted to see how the sharpmaker would do on it and holy smokes you can really tell how wear resistant the steel is. On the fine stones you can feel and hear the blade scraping along the stones. I did approximately 40 passes on each side and it got my manix blazing sharp but it wasn't dull to begin with. I cut a ton of cardboard and plastic packages and it could still shave hair but I wanted to touch it up a bit. All I can say is don't let it get duller than past touch up level if you aren't comfortable sharpening just yet. I have an arsenal of sharpening gear (edge pro, diamond stones, congress SiC stones etc.) and I don't look forward to reprofiling it. I can tell it's gonna be a bit of work. I'm just going to try and maintain the edge for as long as possible. If the sharpmaker is your only sharpener, I'm not sure it will suffice for more than touch ups on S110V. On the plus side, the edge retention is absolutely incredible. Any other one of my knives would have been much much duller with the amount of cutting I did.

Last edited:
Anybody try sharpening their S110V Manix yet? I wanted to see how the sharpmaker would do on it and holy smokes you can really tell how wear resistant the steel is. On the fine stones you can feel and hear the blade scraping along the stones. I did approximately 40 passes on each side and it got my manix blazing sharp but it wasn't dull to begin with. I cut a ton of cardboard and plastic packages and it could still shave hair but I wanted to touch it up a bit. All I can say is don't let it get duller than past touch up level if you aren't comfortable sharpening just yet. I have an arsenal of sharpening gear (edge pro, diamond stones, congress SiC stones etc.) and I don't look forward to reprofiling it. I can tell it's gonna be a bit of work. I'm just going to try and maintain the edge for as long as possible. If the sharpmaker is your only sharpener, I'm not sure it will suffice for more than touch ups on S110V. On the plus side, the edge retention is absolutely incredible. Any other one of my knives would have been much much duller with the amount of cutting I did.

Mine after the rope cutting stage of the testing, Congress 400 grit Moldmaster SIC. :)

DSC_45232.JPG

One thing that kept me from trying the L/W for so long was the FRN handle but actually I've grown fond of it. Makes total sense in this model and strong enough to not require heavy liners.

I like plastic handles for utility. Just not for when you what something pretty in your pocket.

The manix lwt is the first FRN knife I've seen where the handles are skeletonized internally (without metal liners) - really cutting back on the grams on this one. Never looked twice at the translucent blue version, though because of the steel and the translucent blue.

Don't be silly, of course you need a bunch of other blades :p

Haha! Us knife addicts can never get enough! Although to be honest, since getting my S110V Manix, I've almost completely lost the desire to purchase any more folders that were on my radar, besides the new upcoming ZT0562CF. My new Manix is like the perfect folder for me and has seemed to fill a certain void. For now.....

Yeah because the knife is made entirely out of FRN. We have a smart one here, guys.

No, the point is the little steel that is on the blade is easily accessible with a q-tip and compressed air. Having a screwed together construction is great and all, but stop trying to be a mall ninja about it. The knife works fine.

Just got one of these last night in a trade. Beautiful blade, handle is also nicer than I expected, no complaints. And so light, it's exactly what I was hoping for. Sharpening on a Norton Crystolon medium stone seemed 'fairly' easy, but I could really tell how tough it is to sharpen when stropping it, that took quite some time. Looking forward to a lot of pocket time for this one! And I'm glad I already have a second one coming! :-D

Anybody try sharpening their S110V Manix yet?
Yes, I took it down pretty far just for fun. Not quite butter-knife dull, but dull enough to not be able to scrape hair or slice paper. Sharpening on DMT diafold was less than 5 min.

Yes, I took it down pretty far just for fun. Not quite butter-knife dull, but dull enough to not be able to scrape hair or slice paper. Sharpening on DMT diafold was less than 5 min.

That's not bad at all. What grits did you? I have DMT stones from 120 grit to 1200 grit. I was thinking of finishing at 600 grit for a little more of a toothier edge. Apparently S110V performs well at this grit.

I can never remember the grit size, sorry. I have the blue/red and green/beige. I just used the red and green this time. I'll usually take it down to the beige and then Spyderco medium ceramic. Nothing is hard to sharpen when diamonds are involved... :D

They can be a man's best friend too!

Nice to assume. Fail. I bought it for the same reason I bought every other Spyderco I own. I thought I would love it. I got it, and don't care for it one bit. Why is it the sellers responsibility to take back a knife that I bought, that has nothing wrong with it? Don't assume. And I don't know about you, but I don't buy $100 knives to make a ten dollar profit. Get out of here with that nonsense.

I'd be happy to take yours off your hands, I responded to your email.

I can never remember the grit size, sorry. I have the blue/red and green/beige. I just used the red and green this time. I'll usually take it down to the beige and then Spyderco medium ceramic. Nothing is hard to sharpen when diamonds are involved... :D

DMT Grit Chart. Red/green = 600(25) / 1200(9)

2x3.jpg

Back