• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Massdrop has changed their name

Well being 2" shorter than the custom version is pretty clearly not the same Terzuola design. It's one of the reasons it looks like a bastard. Bob's smaller knives are generally not based upon his tactical designs, since he used to believe that knives should be functional. A combat folder is not short, that's why the ACTF has 4" blade and is not the best EDC.

A short knife with an upswept persian blade is too short to be tactical and too upswept to be a good EDC. Look at the BM Park Avenue and the Spyderco Slipit, those are the EDC style blades of the "old" Terzuola. To me it's pretty clear Bob isn't holding true to his design philosophy that's been pretty consistent over the years. What he seems to be doing is selling his name to sell knives, and that's the raison d'être of Massdrop, selling names and selling hype.

Well Massdrop isn't selling the ATCF, they're selling the CTF or "Compact Factical Folder." I can't put my finger on it, but something about that name tells me it wasn't meant to be as large as the ATCF...

And I think a Persian blade on a flipper is great, you can actually use more of the belly, without the flipper tab getting in the way if you're cutting against a flat surface. I think this new one keeps a lot of the cues of his past work, while being a fresh design.

I guess it does kind of ruin it that a knifemaker has to sell knives in order to make money though...

Well being 2" shorter than the custom version is pretty clearly not the same Terzuola design. It's one of the reasons it looks like a bastard. Bob's smaller knives are generally not based upon his tactical designs, since he used to believe that knives should be functional. A combat folder is not short, that's why the ACTF has 4" blade and is not the best EDC.

A short knife with an upswept persian blade is too short to be tactical and too upswept to be a good EDC. Look at the BM Park Avenue and the Spyderco Slipit, those are the EDC style blades of the "old" Terzuola. To me it's pretty clear Bob isn't holding true to his design philosophy that's been pretty consistent over the years. What he seems to be doing is selling his name to sell knives, and that's the raison d'être of Massdrop, selling names and selling hype.

Please don't buy the Terzuola collaboration from Drop.

Thanks.

Trouble is the knife doesn't look like a Terzuola. Looks like a Massdrop, but then it is, but it's not like his personally made knives.
Wait, wait, wait. The knife designed by Bob Terzuola doesn't look like a knife designed by Bob Terzuola? I know I'm in late on this, but you do realize that it, by the very definition of a Terzuola knife, it looks EXACTLY like a Terzuola knife. To the point that it IS in fact, a Terzuola knife.

Sure, but it's also a Massdrop knife, they certainly have design control and definitely design input. Massdrop has consistent design elements across their line. Their knives have a Massdrop "look" just other companies do, such as Spyderco. To me it's more Massdrop than Terzuola.

Don't worry Johnwe, I don't do Massdrop :)

Sure, but it's also a Massdrop knife, they certainly have design control and definitely design input. Massdrop has consistent design elements across their line. Their knives have a Massdrop "look" just other companies do, such as Spyderco. To me it's more Massdrop than Terzuola.

That's quite some logic you're going by. I would say I disagree, but your post isn't actually so much a post as it is a bunch of fluff. I realize you may have written it, but it has more elements in common with fluff than with forum posts. I would guess it's because the fluff is maintaining post control.

They really don't have design 'control'. Elliot of Ferrum Forge has stated that he gets to fully design the knives and has final say on any changes to the CAD files. I can't say that the other knife designers partnered with (Mass)Drop get the same contract, but your assumption is wrong, at least to the extent that they do not have input and control over ALL their knives.

Last edited:
They really don't have design 'control'. Elliot of Ferrum Forge has stated that he gets to fully design the knives and has final say on any changes to the CAD files. I can't say that the other knife designers partnered with (Mass)Drop get the same contract, but you assumption is wrong, at least to the extent that they do not have input and control over ALL their knives.

It's their money, they have control, it's the "golden rule" the party with the gold rules :)

Terzuola's first Massdrop knife design was changed between sales and production, although Massdrop said it was due to stupidity. They took off his name :)

You certainly invest a good deal of time and thought for someone who doesn't buy the items you complain about.

Please continue, you're proving something...

You certainly invest a good deal of time and thought for someone who doesn't buy the items you complain about.

Please continue, you're proving something...

Well my feeling about Massdrop mirrors one you expressed in general terms once before:

My point is this, there are people who know how to make and sell things who aren't sociopaths and we'd be wise to seek them out. In the relatively short time I've been here I've learned plenty about the thieves and liars who steal money from their would-be customers. I'm just sorry that so many people get taken in.

Massdrops "takes people in" but hey, who cares if rich people lose a little money and don't know it, or when told about it, don't want to know :)

Well my feeling about Massdrop mirrors one you expressed in general terms once before:

Massdrops "takes people in" but hey, who cares if rich people lose a little money and don't know it, or when told about it, don't want to know :)

By mirrors you must mean the reverse of what I wrote above as Massdrop doesn't do any of the things you accuse them of. You're simply lying.

Not liking a business, their business model, and/or their product line up is one thing. However, if you're going to call someone a liar or a thief, please have the decency to actually say it and provide some evidence of such instead of alluding to it via other peoples words.

Back