Massdrop/Laconico Keen

I would like this knife more if it were smaller. I think the design would be more attractive as a "mini." It looks like an over-sized gentleman's knife.
That is why I pulled the trigger on it. Hoping it will be in that size slot with my Large Inkosi and Umnumzaan, for days I want a flipper. Never had a real Laconico, but this gives me a chance to test the water. Found one on the exchange with natural blasted finish, and portals.
(stock photo)
WYZ27s2Te2pHRgPF63Wu_checkout%20copy%205%20page.jpg

That is why I pulled the trigger on it. Hoping it will be in that size slot with my Large Inkosi and Umnumzaan, for days I want a flipper. Never had a real Laconico, but this gives me a chance to test the water. Found one on the exchange with natural blasted finish, and portals.
(stock photo)
WYZ27s2Te2pHRgPF63Wu_checkout%20copy%205%20page.jpg

I love this comparison, and believe credit goes to Epicsnugglebunny, but Laconico was described as “the Chris Reeve of custom knife makers.” With this design being WE produced, the quality is there. It’s that same kind of high quality, minimalist user.

The combination of Laconico design and WE manufacturing makes for a terrific knife. And top-notch quality at a modest price.
I just wish for a 3 inch (even better: 2:99 inch) version.

The combination of Laconico design and WE manufacturing makes for a terrific knife. And top-notch quality at a modest price.
I just wish for a 3 inch (even better: 2:99 inch) version.

The Kizer version of the Yorkie should be out pretty soon. That might scratch the itch for you! I'm definitely gonna have to try one out I think. Love the look of that little blade. Wish they had left out the hole in the middle of the front scale, though.

The Kizer version of the Yorkie should be out pretty soon. That might scratch the itch for you! I'm definitely gonna have to try one out I think. Love the look of that little blade. Wish they had left out the hole in the middle of the front scale, though.

Exactly my feeling.

The MBK EZC is going to be 3” blade (under 3” cutting edge) with 3 3/4” handle and a groove instead of the hole/s. Still Kizer production, same milled ti clip as the Yorkie, and a spear point blade.

I think the Yorkie may have a .12” thick blade vs expecting .16” on the EZC, though.

The Yorkie is on my interested list. I like the hole though. :)

Exactly my feeling.

The MBK EZC is going to be 3” blade (under 3” cutting edge) with 3 3/4” handle and a groove instead of the hole/s. Still Kizer production, same milled ti clip as the Yorkie, and a spear point blade.

I think the Yorkie may have a .12” thick blade vs expecting .16” on the EZC, though.

Yeah, I may hold out for that one. Do they list the steel on that one yet? NVM... I see it's S35VN.

Price difference may also be a factor in a final decision between those two, though...

Where is the Yorkie coming from? I see the Minpin, and the EZC, not a Yorkie though.

jeffsenpai jeffsenpai the Yorkie is Kizer branded. Not sure about the rules for links, but a google images search will be fruitful. You’ll note the pocket clip matching the MBK EZC clip, etc. The EZC is using a clean pivot, though. No pinwheel. Not that I mind.

The Keen is full size, 3.5'' blade at least.
I have a Keen and it is indeed 3.5". I tend to think of 4" or 100mm as full-sized. Perhaps because many municipalities prohibit 4-inch or larger knives that defines large and small for me.

The Intrepid is full size, as well as the LV (Laconico + Vagnino) Lancer 2.
Thanks for showing me those. I wasn't aware. It's interesting but any blade config other than FFG doesn't quite fit his minimalist design aesthetic. They look a bit common after eyeing all of his other designs.

I really like Laconico's work. If he offered a 100mm drop point I'd order directly from him.

Right now I think of the Keen as a smallish effete urban EDC while my Shiro F3 is a full-sized brute ready for any task, indoors or outside. And the difference in blade lengths is about 5/8".

Last edited:
...Thanks for showing me those. I wasn't aware. It's interesting but any blade config other than FFG doesn't quite fit his minimalist design aesthetic. They look a bit common after eyeing all of his other designs...

Actually the sabre ground harpoon swedge is the more "Laconico" in my eyes (as compared to FFG). I too was/am drawn to the look and presumably function of the Keen's FFG blade (don't have mine yet to know first hand). But after diving into Mr. Laconico's work, the Baby Bear is the one that screams R.LACONICO to me.
4e2da0a0999790161bd6c96abe28f9a9.jpg

marchone marchone I can see where you’re coming from with regard to the ffg blades working well with his design aesthetic. While he works equally often with clip point (Minpin, Baby Bear) or harpoon (Lancer, Bear), ffg is a go-to on both the Jasmine and EZC customs, which are probably his most popular models.

As for the capability of the Keen... it’s difficult to hold one and think of it as effete. It’s very solidly built. You’re certainly allowed to disagree, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Keen for anything short of specifically plunging it directly into grit— cutting into concrete or sand bags, etc. For me, that means I’d use it for anything I’d use a folder for. They each have built-in ways of addressing blade stability, via mrbs or internal stop pins. Blade length isn’t really a factor in capability, beyond a low starting point. You can do the same things with a 3” blade that you can with a 4” blade, for example. I’d say the blade length conversation is mostly relevant when discussing fixed blades, as you go from cutter to chopper. As folders go, I think it’s a thing we in the knife community put too much stock in. Probably a byproduct of having so many options available, allowing us to nitpick.

You can do the same things with a 3” blade that you can with a 4” blade, for example.
I will respectfully disagree here. For my work purposes 4-inch utility blades dominate. 3.5" to 4.5" can be the range but much outside that it's either too small or too cumbersome for my personal preference.

This was a 5-inch Kramer-Zwillings that I broke the tip off of a few months ago. I just got around to grinding it down, re-profiling the edge and making a new tip. It's just a hair over 4 5/8-inch now but because of the choil choking up on the grip makes it work like a shorter blade. Without the choil the new cutting edge is 4 3/8-inches. I like it much better than when it was new. Works for me.

KcqWDj7.jpg

I don't know what carbon steel was used but it's soft enough to have made reshaping the blade enjoyable.

Last edited:
I will respectfully disagree here. For my work purposes 4-inch utility blades dominate. 3.5" to 4.5" can be the range but much outside that it's either too small or too cumbersome for my personal preference.

This was a 5-inch Kramer-Zwillings that I broke the tip off of a few months ago. I just got around to grinding it down, re-profiling the edge and making a new tip. It's just a hair over 4 5/8-inch now but because of the choil choking up on the grip makes it work like a shorter blade. Without the choil the new cutting edge is 4 3/8-inches. I like it much better than when it was new. Works for me.

KcqWDj7.jpg

I don't know what carbon steel was used but it's soft enough to have made reshaping the blade enjoyable.

Just honestly curious here. What cutting tasks do you encounter regularly in which having a 4" and up blade is an advantage over a 3"-3.5" blade?

Back