MAXAMET PM2?

I noticed these just came and went super fast at dealers a few days ago..will there be more coming?

I heard they were going to have small batches come through now and then. Don't quote that as truth though as it wasn't from spyderco.

I have been interested in getting one of these but they are very hard to get and IMO the s110v is a good alternative considering the prices

I have been interested in getting one of these but they are very hard to get and IMO the s110v is a good alternative considering the prices
Maxamet is like double the edge retention in cutting rope than s110v from spyderco. But otherwise it is a great alternative that's also stainless.

I have a native 5 maxamet and I really like the steel but I kinda have the feeling that the PM2 in maxamet is a bit overpriced

But clearly it is still a great configuration.

As I recall, the release of the S110V PM2 was the same way, there were dribs and drabs coming in to retailers, and eventually the production reached a level where everyone who wanted one right then had one, and retailers started to get quantities that allowed them to keep stock on hand. So, give it a couple months, and I reckon Maxamet PM2's will be readily available. Just my prediction...

Reactions: AF
I know for certain cutlery shoppe, gpknives and blade ops had some on the same day a few days ago all sold out super fast

Some dealers located like in Utah tend to get things later maybe because of delivery issues, I’m thinking that they might get them soon, just thinking.

Maxamet is like double the edge retention in cutting rope than s110v from spyderco. But otherwise it is a great alternative that's also stainless.

I finally edge retention tested mine after carrying it for close to 3 months. Very pleased with the results! 568 feet of cardboard until it wouldn't cut printer paper. Almost 200 feet more than M4, which was the next closest.

I am surprised that the Manix2 and Native 5 in Maxamet are still available.

Got my shipping notice from BHQ. I'm a huge fan of the PM2 platform, but have ended up selling all if mine over time. I've dinged the tip on most of the ones I've owned. I have a hard time not damaging the tip on these.

If this one proves out and I have the same problem, I will look to reprofile the tip somehow. I really want this one to work out. I asked in an email for BHQ to pick a smooth, centered, straight blade.

I received one of mine today. The pivot was overtightened and the knife was very stiff. I had to use more force than I am comfortable with to get the pivot to crack loose. It is now much smoother and dropping shut. There is only one perfect tightness between too tight and blade play. Took a minute to get dialed in.

The finish on these are absolutely beautiful, very reminiscent of the Taichung models using the mirror stonewashed XHP. I got mine from a member and it's a perfect specimen. Blade drops shut, perfect centering and 0 blade play, even grinds & straight as an arrow. I laid the blade on the table showing 0 gaps.

You can see the reflection of my phone in the blade, it also has a very glassy/slick feeling to the blade. I'm very thankful I was able to grab a spare to get as a user.

5ULQwY4.jpg

ip4wZYz.jpg

hOE9aWM.jpg

VIDEO:
https://i.imgur.com/8tdQOH9.mp4

Got my backup and it's just as perfect as the first. Feels like Spyderco did some extra QA on these .... the higher price is justified, IMO, and not just because of the steel.

Mail drop - mine arrived a few minutes ago. This is generally a very good example! I asked BHQ to pick a good one for me. They emailed and said they would, but I really doubt this is materially different than any of the newly released ones.

The stonewash on this is very nice! On par with my Shiro in Vanax 37, with the same luster. The broken edges on the spine and around the spydie hole are instantly my favorite PM2. Really very nice around all edges.

20190610_122347~01.jpg

Only nitpick is the edge bevel grind is ever so slightly different from one side to the other. Just a fraction taller on the presentation side than the lock side. In time, I will set the bevel on both sides equally on my Wicked Edge, but that will be awhile as this thing is already screaming sharp.

Action and centering are nearly a 10 out of the box. My PM2 always loosen up just a little, and end up bouncing off the stop pin when I close them. I expect this to become that free dropping as well.

Blade is flat and straight. Perfect.

Last edited:
Back