Meet The Beast!!!. . . Meet The Mega Ratweiler!!!. . . Coming Wed. 2-19-2020 At 9:00PM Eastern!!

It has arrived....

To call this a beast is an understatement!

You truly do have to hold one to fully appreciate it’s awesomeness. The extra girth of the .35 stock really pays dividends in the handle. The grind is beautiful, the hollow takes the thickness down nicely, and flows subtly into convex as it nears the tip. She’ll be the envy of the campsite (or the demolition site), trees, walls, and doors shall shudder and whimper at her approach.

Great job to the crew!

(The darker spot on the scale is some mineral spirit wetness from the nuclear swamp cheese grease removal)

DjNA7aYZSgr_FepaK1jqDyoqpTt6ZOpwMl0ZP00NFpVhnRmKKGaqlc1cCONn-wAlucwr1x_YtlQWyZlL59Pqq69V-ZjAguhQuxZ2Nu6f1Zbp8ryCnpzP6vPMSDyaSd7gHJBoLMnEw5GjgojC8niZ6v56-L3-NDTXDhxPt-atJEREykfKMAv0i6F_COMN2oCg65j-7gapJ8o3ZyjpbDebuTD-OkdpytLkGy3aDieCejeY292AP8s_KZoMr1Rrqgvq48hERXWn982EKU3vg4I9X-n3I9C_ZMuyP1c3aLi0b2AEKrDiOeoTULYUsw2n0Pj6tz_OtBINn4GJSGgXYkPiqlaOfzjXfbnqCGwF6BL0_aw-Tk1eNZOd6MpK6HfyfmESU-7yW-PCj_6M7FbJJmrHTiyC_2OJrll9_ifCjhUhoe27ksjiv_zUQz4Phr3H_et38TFIBD_w17TSSgp9FVJtdUgggvX4pgEhW7BWKxBjXZodiisc3o6sqs3hoE3m1jJyNT4_-tByu3g4ZBLtLIC3i-Th5N3D_kf2Ygq6iu_T8To8EzT-kvVOs9Q5AHHwahO1UFs7DtVf1LDAE5i4atM6chZdqgLlSWcYd5kVRsxcWeyf_YJX60tbMuQT7N8z8YvdkJiyqttnVAuPhKRehXDKCh5rBVwg5GEr1uJdVnAf5wvOmqKkUyjQccef1bsu=w830-h1104-no

I am really on the fence here. I have no idea why I ever parted with my first ratweiler years ago. I have a hogB8 now and love it. Comparing specs they are almost identical. Any fellow Rats have both of these knives? Mind weighing in on a comparison, maybe some pics? I need pushed over the edge :D

I am really on the fence here. I have no idea why I ever parted with my first ratweiler years ago. I have a hogB8 now and love it. Comparing specs they are almost identical. Any fellow Rats have both of these knives? Mind weighing in on a comparison, maybe some pics? I need pushed over the edge :D
I have both. Though the thickness of the two knives are the same, the grind of the HOGB8 is nothing like the grind of the MEGA 'Weiler. The deep hollow/flat/convex grind is pretty interesting, something you just have to see for yourself to appreciate.

I have both. Though the thickness of the two knives are the same, the grind of the HOGB8 is nothing like the grind of the MEGA 'Weiler. The deep hollow/flat/convex grind is pretty interesting, something you just have to see for yourself to appreciate.

In my mind I'm guessing the grind on the mega Rat makes it a better slicer and with better weight distribution from the grind it chops better than the hogB8?

The MEGA 'Weiler is a better slicer, hands down, no contest. Thinner immediately behind the edge, and most of the way up the blade.

This will probably surprise most folks, it's as close to neutrally-handling as you can really get; with the thick stock, there's enough meat in the handle section that the balance point is right at the very front edge of the handle scales on my black canvas example. :cool: So while the Rat doesn't handle like most choppers, the weight of the blade is there when you do chop with it, and the hybrid grind helps it bite quite deep for it's size.

On the other hand, the HOGB8, being Res-C, flat ground, and a milled stick tang, has a much, much more forward balance point. Much more like a dedicated chopper. The thicker edge has a lot more weight behind it too, and so while it bites fairly similarly, it sticks in the cut more than the MEGA Rat does. Very dissimilar geometries accomplishing the same thing in a much different way. I'd have to say that the Rat is the better all-around knife if I had to choose one for that task. Granted, it's SR-101 vs. INFI.

I like sr101 so the steel doesnt matter to me. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and write all that! Sounds like you gain a lot better control when not chopping due to balance. You gain much better slicing and cutting for knife use. The chopping edge goes to the hogB8 but not by much. Sounds like I need to pull the trigger lol. I was debating getting a matching set with the mega ratmandu but it got pulled from the site last night unfortunately. Wish I didnt miss out on the swamp comp warden, seems I am always late to the game.

I almost went with blue coating and finally decided on swamp comp. Think my next coated blade will be blue, great pics and knife!

Mr. Brown came through as always. The olive drab pancake with dangler is a perfect fit. The eyelet placement was just right to add this pouch (Maxpedition TC3 with the tag removed). The pouch is big enough to accommodate a small field strop and misc. fire starting/other gear.

ACtC-3cvJzaVGD4IPKkXLAVm0hCsxcfbPye0-D8U7JoiOELURk0Zg3rUl30se2Mg_uRflMR1fz_ye5uCmc-njimL-lfKVJnEdYiILpV2JpRls9UTEPnTEgt1VHWE7iWGpMhIG-IKy4uG-2zI5hrV1Bis0f86=w830-h1104-no

ACtC-3eCpDzj09-LCeyjSJDaRTIRogV87PbKxcRb_KqNIn6d2kj8TnlzEwrY74POwUBgru641vintT3RMROWSDrmVb0j8iMRviSKvkgvQsLQsu2KAw-BXzliVb88yu8U0AgRTkHtYPs2q1mVCikQIBwTZU6W=w830-h1104-no

Last edited:
I hear you loud and clear. When you know what you like absolutlely get two. I just thought you may think it would corrode w/o coating is all. All are awesome. Actually ordered two more today.
Desert Sage/Green Canvas
SwampComp/Green Canvas
This just fits me. Thanks again SWKW. This thing is a real piece of art. This is it for while :).
Old thread but can you please post a pic of the green canvas and Sage?

Back